Crosshair VIII Impact + M1 v6 = High Chipset temp

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Bad news. Pch/chipset fan died today.

Tries to spin but only twitches and sometimes a brief audible coil whine/chirp associated with it.

I’ve always had an active pch fan. Not sure why, seemed excessive. I was in between watching YouTube videos when it suddenly went quiet.
maybe that's a good thing haha
but crazy that the fan died so quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: paulesko

jcadduono

Efficiency Noob
Oct 13, 2019
Hey guys, I too have this motherboard. I saw there were many people with different X570 boards that had only 60c temperatures where as I was always at 72+c, so I did some investigating... (yeah, I took the board apart!)
It turns out that the thermal padding that ASUS is using is absolutely awful. What's happening is that the pads have a crazy amount of residue on them, and they compress really easily, maintaining their form once compressed. Over time (a few weeks after manufacturing probably), the thermal pads lost contact with the X570 chip! When I took my pads off, there was just a thick layer of pad residue touching the surface of the chip, as well as the shape of the chip engraved into the pad. The pad itself was not maintaining contact to the center of the X570 chip at all!
So I replaced it with Arctic 1.5mm thermal pad which is not squishy at all, is very low residue, and has a fairly high W/mK rating while being affordable.

... I booted up and after 10 minutes of browsing the web and playing WoW my chipset temperature is 55 celsius!

I proceeded to unplug BOTH of the fans. I don't think the chipset fan was doing anything for the chipset, and it was causing a bunch of dust build up inside the Q error code display thing due to it being set up as an intake that blew air into the display (???)

The VRM fan for whatever reason is set up as a VRM fan (dude, that crazy efficient VRM doesn't even need to touch the heatsink!), even though I think it should have been synced with the chipset fan because both fans are pushing air through the same metal chunky heatsink. I think one or both should have been set up in exhaust. I tried to flip them to exhaust but the fan blades clip the heatsink when upside down. Yikes.

I think my 240mm radiator fans working as an intake will blow enough cool air at the VRM/Chipset heatsink to keep it cool. :)

Alright, I finished my post, my chipset is at 58c. I think it'll top out at 70c without the fans but I suppose we'll see.
Update: It's been a full day of gaming and the max chipset temp is 63c.

Update 2: Alright so the AIO is definitely cooling the chipset well with the fans removed. Removing the fans allow the cool air from the AIO fans to reach the heatsink without getting blocked as much. Entertainingly, the hotter the CPU gets, the cooler the chipset gets because of the fan speed up. When my AIO fans are at 700 RPM, the chipset sits at around 63 celsius (68 celsius max over these past few days). When they increase to 1200 RPM, the chipset goes down to 58 celsius, and when they increase to 1800 RPM, the chipset goes all the way down to 53 celsius! Regardless, they are all very much under the safe temperature limit. :)

Last edited:

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
I got my MoBo on the way, which software you guys using to measure chipset fan? I read that some of them were not "updated for x570 MoBos yet"

G_I_R

Efficiency Noob
Oct 31, 2019
Recommend folks remove and check the backplate. Mine had a cap that wasn’t trimmed and both ends were firmly in contact/short with the backplate.

jcadduono

Efficiency Noob
Oct 13, 2019
I got my MoBo on the way, which software you guys using to measure chipset fan? I read that some of them were not "updated for x570 MoBos yet"
HWiNFO (64) works great. It even reads my H100i Pro liquid temps and both fan speeds.
I have mine reorganized from the defaults, but this is what it looks like: https://share.adduono.com/HP1A.png
You can't see the chipset fan speed on mine only because I have it marked as "Ignored" in the BIOS (since I removed the fan, didn't want to show errors on boot) which hides it when querying the Nuvoton chip from programs too.
However, it does display it just fine if it is enabled and plugged in.

I think in BIOS/UEFI version 1201 ASUS has addressed the fan noise by defaulting the chipset fan to speeds based on VRM temperatures. I'm not sure if this is correct, but it is what I saw after updating my BIOS lol! This should make both the top and bottom fans run at about the same speed, which is MUCH quieter.
Honestly, this makes sense because their lack of thermal pad contact on the chipset meant the heatsink wasn't really doing anything for it in the first place.
Funny though, I don't think the VRM even needs to contact the heatsink either unless you're doing insane overclocking. (uh good luck on Ryzen 3xxx?)
So yeah, the heatsink and fans are both kinda pointless.

Last edited:

davbojic

Cable Smoosher
Jul 23, 2019
I just finish build in my Ncase M1 with ROG Strix X570-I Gaming and Ryzen 3900x. Everything is silent but PCH fan after 30 min. have around 5000-6000 RPM. Motherboards temparatute is around 40-45C. I have Corsair AIO 240 cooling and I have to put those fan and pump to Balanced mode in Icue software (before they are in quiet mode). After that I got lower RPM but still around 4600-5000RMP. Everything higher than 5000RPM is audibly. My Ryzen is OC to 4,25MHz and everything is cool and silent execept this fan. I was trying to change settings in Q-fan in BIOS but without success. My BIOS dont recognize CPU fan (because fans are attached on the cooler so cpu fan header is empty). I was trying change settings in BIOS with CHASIS fun... then optimization by BIOS...ignore PCH fan monitoring...but not succes. I touched my VRM shield but is not so hoot. I remove all usb from the back where is PCH fan to lower usb on motherboard. If I will manage get this fan around 4000RPM then is almost inaudible. MY build:

davbojic

Cable Smoosher
Jul 23, 2019
I'm using the Swiftech Apogee Drive II and Hardware Labs GTS240 for the CPU.

There are no control for the Chipset fan in BIOS and ASUS software. The Chipset sits around 70C at all times, and the fan just stays at around 4500RPM whining constantly.

I got annoyed and was looking at the heatsink stack for the Chipset, which looks to received about 1/3 the airflow from the 30mm fan.

Most of the heat seems to be soaked up by the large aluminium rear IO cover, so I thought I'll try pulling the fan to see what difference the fan makes.

Now my case is silent and the Chipset temp goes up to 72C at idle and occasionally reaches 75C during load.

Problem solved.
I just finish build in my Ncase M1 with ROG Strix X570-I Gaming and Ryzen 3900x. Everything is silent but PCH fan after 30 min. have around 5000-6000 RPM. Motherboards temparatute is around 40-45C. I have Corsair AIO 240 cooling and I have to put those fan and pump to Balanced mode in Icue software (before they are in quiet mode). After that I got lower RPM but still around 4600-5000RMP. Everything higher than 5000RPM is audibly. My Ryzen is OC to 4,25MHz and everything is cool and silent execept this fan. I was trying to change settings in Q-fan in BIOS but without success. My BIOS dont recognize CPU fan (because fans are attached on the cooler so cpu fan header is empty). I was trying change settings in BIOS with CHASIS fun... then optimization by BIOS...ignore PCH fan monitoring...but not succes. I touched my VRM shield but is not so hoot. I remove all usb from the back where is PCH fan to lower usb on motherboard. If I will manage get this fan around 4000RPM then is almost inaudible. MY build:

davbojic

Cable Smoosher
Jul 23, 2019
I am using an AIO (Corsair H100i Platinum) with the Impact on the V6. My idle chipset temp stays around 67-68C. However, I don't hear the chipset fans at all.
My IDLE temp are lower on asus X570-I Gaming (around 45C) but may PCH fan is between 5000-6000 RPM after one hour. I have Ryzen 3900x OC to 4,25MHz. What is your configuration and RPM of PCH fan?

Leinel

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2019
My IDLE temp are lower on asus X570-I Gaming (around 45C) but may PCH fan is between 5000-6000 RPM after one hour. I have Ryzen 3900x OC to 4,25MHz. What is your configuration and RPM of PCH fan?
I had the same motherboard X570i, built into the Ncase M1 v6.1. Anyway, I built myself a case very similar to the Ncase. I had the same problems with my fan spinning at 3750 all the time. It is quite annoying, so I put a 92mm Noctua pushing air into the case. On top of this, I deshrouded my aorus 1080ti xtreme and put 2 Noctuas 120mm on the card as exhaust. With the latest bios update, the pch fan is running at 1700. So things are O.K. now for me. If anybody would ask me what ITX board to buy, I would tell him to go with a B450 or X470, of course.

Regards

Leinel

Last edited:

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Could someone that has the crosshairs impact motherboard check and report if the fans are indeed replaceable please ? Cause if they have a plug, then an idea would be to replace them with Noctua fans for better and more silent operation

redrivera

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 11, 2020
Found this old-ish (2 weeks) thread that I haven't seen brought up here:
Just wondering if this might be what's happening with some of you guys

PizzaPino

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Found this old-ish (2 weeks) thread that I haven't seen brought up here:

Just wondering if this might be what's happening with some of you guys
I don't think so because it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, with the newest bios update, it's not spinning constantly anymore and is pretty quiet now.