GPU CRAZY IDEA

AleksandarK

/dev/null
Original poster
May 14, 2017
Hello, i was wondering about one thing. I saw many of build that use some kind of custom PCB made by 3rd paryt manufactures. What sparked this idea is that i recently saw a build log on OCN by Dualty92 and i saw that he uses custom PCB. Now i am wondering is it possible that someone could just order custom Graphics Card without its core(for example GP102) and then, if you have enough skill to solder the chip to the PCB. I know it is harder then it sounds and there are a lot of complex things like creating the actual pcb, getting memory chips and finding a unsolderd die. It may be possible. What are yours thoughts on this?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Individuals are unlikely to be sold a bare GPU die, or even the ram modules. In theory they could be harvest components from existing cards but you would need a reflow oven and some other tools. We also as consumers lack the licensed spec-sheets and technical data for the processors and stuff. At least that's as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Hello, i was wondering about one thing. I saw many of build that use some kind of custom PCB made by 3rd paryt manufactures. What sparked this idea is that i recently saw a build log on OCN by Dualty92 and i saw that he uses custom PCB. Now i am wondering is it possible that someone could just order custom Graphics Card without its core(for example GP102) and then, if you have enough skill to solder the chip to the PCB. I know it is harder then it sounds and there are a lot of complex things like creating the actual pcb, getting memory chips and finding a unsolderd die. It may be possible. What are yours thoughts on this?

Is this where we get the custom SFF GPU start-up business spiel again...?!?

NEW SFF GRAPHICS CARD MAKER

If anything, maybe focus on taking CAD & machining courses for manufacturing & work on full-cover water blocks for the available ITX sized GPUs out there...

That could be your niche market...

AleksandarK

/dev/null
Original poster
May 14, 2017
Is this where we get the custom SFF GPU start-up business spiel again...?!?

NEW SFF GRAPHICS CARD MAKER

If anything, maybe focus on taking CAD & machining courses for manufacturing & work on full-cover water blocks for the available ITX sized GPUs out there...

That could be your niche market...
It is not my chance to make SFF gpus again because i realized that i can not succeed and i abandoned that idea.
I was just wondering could this work.