GPU GPU measurements

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi guys,

I am trying to design the most 'universal' GPU cooler that could fit most of the cards out there, dunno where that will lead me too...

I've found these 2 interesting posts
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/measuring-video-card-dimensions.708/
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/gpu-height-clearance.127/
but I need your help to get more info, especially safe values as there are probably no norm for most of my interrogations.

Let's start with NVidia.

I guess there is no standard for the PCB overall measurements like there is with motherboards, but do you know what could be the biggest number for the length (Lmax) and width (Wmax).
Would it be relevant to take these numbers from the Asus GTX 1080 ti Strix, or is there a bigger card available?

I am also wondering if it is reasonnable to take the measurement of a DVI port (B) as the largest obstructing element of a PCIE bracket on the PCB side?

Is the distance between the holes of the cooler (D) standard?
If so I guess the blue area will be free from any PCB components except from the chip.
Is there then any standard position (X and Y) for this blue area on the PCB, I am afraid not, maybe the Y value?

Then what could be the highest element (H) on the PCB? I first thought that would be the power connector, but obviously some capacitors are bigger.
Would it be right to look at the Accelero cooler for instance and check at what distance of the PCB it is placed?

Finally, we know the distance between a motherboard PCB and the top of a CPU IHS is 8mm.
Is there such a number for the distance between the GPU PCB and the GPU die?
Do some GPU cards come with an IHS by the way?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
So I took the following numbers from the 1080 Ti Strix:
B: 26mm
D: 60mm
Lmax: 300 mm
Wmax: 135 mm

and this one from the Accelero Xtreme III (and IV):
H: 13 mm

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Height to top of gpu die isn't very much, on Pascal boards I believe it's between 2.5 and 3mm, because I could fit two 1mm spacers under the heatsink block and there was still room.

"D" is sort of standard, but determined by the chip architecture. "D" is the same on Nvidia 980/1080/Titan. Check out the hole pattern on the HDplex copper blocks. Theyve drilled their heatsink for all the common ones.

Also in terms of size, the Accelero is probably a good starting point. It seems like they designed it for high compatibility by putting the copper contact bit nearer to the corner edges of the cooler, so that it doesn't matter where the GPU die is located on the board.

Unfortunately this means that the cooler could extend way past the edge of the board, which is a problem in SFF cases that makes the Accelero useless without bending or cutting. I don't see an easy way around that, it's a choice between reducing the size of the cooling surface area, or reducing compatibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaK