Log Crazy idea

friedsushi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 9, 2024
So I'm a complete noob to these forums, got here from the SFFPC subreddit.

I've been thinking through a melting pot of ideas since I saw a few cases I really liked - but none of them had the configuration I was looking for, or were in stock, so I decided to 3D print my own (and pick up 3D modelling skills in the process, as a bonus.)

Those ideas being:
  • The modular bracket of the FormD T1
    • If a GPU has a larger or smaller slot size, you can move the bracket up and down the case. It also allows for more cooler space.
  • Attachable stands for tower configuration
    • Only downside is the cables would be bent when in tower mode, but it's alright.
  • Support for 2x SSDs (if possible) or 1x HDD
    • This is the boldest part, I don't know if I can fit an HDD or the SSDs in, then not burn the case down. HDD would be preferred, I really need those +8TB.
  • 7-8L format
    • Just want something as small as possible, going after something similar to the Velka 7. (Velka 8?) Ideally it'd fit in my backpack.
    • GPU support would be limited to under 302mm.
  • Otherwise - a normal SFF case with good airflow, etc etc
Ideas from experienced designers, 3D printed case users, and everyone else are welcome. Thank you!

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Good start! I started learning CAD from this guy. Considering your target case: why not put a 3D-printed bracket for a HDD into a FormD T1? This will reduce GPU length, but most probably will tick all your boxes/requirements.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I think if you start with small mods (shorter iterations) you will have less room for error and you won't be demotivated if producing something tangible will take too long.

friedsushi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 9, 2024
I think if you start with small mods (shorter iterations) you will have less room for error and you won't be demotivated if producing something tangible will take too long.

friedsushi

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 9, 2024
Oops, the page hadn't loaded yet. My apologies.

I'll probably just do that, but I do want to learn CAD, so I may just take this route and steal (shamelessly, I know) the T1's design and function.