CPU CPU Heat Question

postakoly

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
Hi Sff Forum,

I'm building a Dan Case v3 and am in the process of choosing a CPU.

The Cpus im looking at are Ryzen Zen+ and i7 8700 / i5 8600 Series.

Is there a way for me to calculate what i can expect from a specific CPU with a specific Cooler
to find the best Performance / Temperature ratio under load and optimal circumstances(ignoring case dynamics).
I know there are many factors to consider but id like a simple rule of thumb
to know what to expect from a cpu.

Could you point me into a direction?, I might not even be asking the right question.

Thanks

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi

Comparing the thermal design power, the TDP, of each CPU would be the first thing to look at I guess.
From the wiki:
TDP is the maximum amount of heat that a CPU would generate when running "real applications"

Be careful though, AMD and Intel may not be talking about the same kind of power with their TDP...

Reactions: postakoly

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
CPUs are binned to an extent for performance at a given power draw. The A4 case limits what kind of cooling capability you can install due to the restriction on cooler height.

In my A4, I run a i5-7500 rated for 65W with a Cryorig C7. If I were to choose a new CPU today for the same case, I would go with no more than a 95W CPU on air, as the air coolers that fit seem to struggle with 95W CPUs. https://infogram.com/lowprofile-coolers-1ho16vm1x05n6nq

If you are going with a 95W or above CPU, seriously consider water cooling for the CPU.

postakoly

Case Bender
Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
CPUs are binned to an extent for performance at a given power draw. The A4 case limits what kind of cooling capability you can install due to the restriction on cooler height.

In my A4, I run a i5-7500 rated for 65W with a Cryorig C7. If I were to choose a new CPU today for the same case, I would go with no more than a 95W CPU on air, as the air coolers that fit seem to struggle with 95W CPUs. https://infogram.com/lowprofile-coolers-1ho16vm1x05n6nq

If you are going with a 95W or above CPU, seriously consider water cooling for the CPU.

Thank you for your response. This infogramm was exactly what i was looking for :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: Julio Espinosa

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

I totally agree with you and would say a little more:
If possible, avoid watercooling "heat intense" CPUs inside space restricted cases without good airflow. You can cool a highly overclocked i7-8700k inside an A4 (there's no doubt about it), but it doesn't mean you can cool the motherboard's VRMs as well as you should.

Reactions: postakoly