Cooling CPU cooler recommendations?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Alright guys, so I originally purchased a Reeven Brontes when I had originally planned the design of my chassis with an HD Plex modular board, but my design got changed so the motherboard is now right next to a Mean Well EPP-400-12 open air AC-DC. Kinda like this if the white box is the PSU.

What cooler would you recommend given that the side of the PSU is 76mm and is perpendicular to the mainboard?

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
You have no strict height limits, so you may use a Noctua NH-L9x65. Or a thermalright AXP 100/200 as you've already had drawn.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes! Another Meanwell convert. Are you going for the G-Unique as well?

Depending on your board layout, I recommend a 58-60mm cooler with a 25mm thickness fan like Big Shuriken 2 + Noctua. AR06, Thermalright AXP-200, NH-L9x65, etc.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Yes! Another Meanwell convert. Are you going for the G-Unique as well?

Depending on your board layout, I recommend a 58-60mm cooler with a 25mm thickness fan like Big Shuriken 2 + Noctua. AR06, Thermalright AXP-200, NH-L9x65, etc.
Yep g unique as well. Would this l9x65 out perform the Reeven? How scout the shuriken?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
You have no strict height limits, so you may use a Noctua NH-L9x65. Or a thermalright AXP 100/200 as you've already had drawn.
Looks good, those were some I was considering. I'm just trying to get the very best one for performance and silence.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yep g unique as well. Would this l9x65 out perform the Reeven? How scout the shuriken?

I think the shuriken should perform better based on specs alone. The Reeven may not include a 25mm thickness bracket.

If the 76mm clearance begins at the motherboard plane then you are limited to about 58mm cooler anyways. CPU height is 15-20mm depending on your standoffs.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Think of the side of the meanwell PSU resting flush on the motherboard stand off tray. What then?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would recommend big shuriken. Big shuriken + mobo height would be ~76mm. Increase the height clearance by 12mm, you can fit in a Big Shuriken + 25mm thickness fan you can have a very quiet machine.

If you're not using a PCIe riser layout, a Noctua NH-D9L puts the height at the height of the GPU so you can go for that as well.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I would recommend big shuriken. Big shuriken + mobo height would be ~76mm. Increase the height clearance by 12mm, you can fit in a Big Shuriken + 25mm thickness fan you can have a very quiet machine.

If you're not using a PCIe riser layout, a Noctua NH-D9L puts the height at the height of the GPU so you can go for that as well.
Nah. I'm going riser style. I'll go with the Shuriken, but it seems rather loud in reviews.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Nah. I'm going riser style. I'll go with the Shuriken, but it seems rather loud in reviews.

It's pretty quiet. If you increase the clearance, you can go with a quieter fan.

But overall, the issue is people like to see 65C CPU temps, when an intel chip performs the same all the way up to 100C. If you set the fan curve to allow it reach 80C, you'll see much better acoustic performance.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
It's pretty quiet. If you increase the clearance, you can go with a quieter fan.

But overall, the issue is people like to see 65C CPU temps, when an intel chip performs the same all the way up to 100C. If you set the fan curve to allow it reach 80C, you'll see much better acoustic performance.
I'll probably do that, what about the Cryorig C1?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
It's a great cooler, but because it's huge, you'd have to be careful with motherboard layout as it may overhang. It's also 74mm high, with mobo height that puts you at about 92mm height. I don't think that size of a cooler is necessary.
Sounds good, I'll look at comparisons of the Reeven Brontes to the Shuriken.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
It's a great cooler, but because it's huge, you'd have to be careful with motherboard layout as it may overhang. It's also 74mm high, with mobo height that puts you at about 92mm height. I don't think that size of a cooler is necessary.
Actually it looks the Shuriken may not fit on my board because it has a raised VRM.