Concept CPC-1 PC CASE

Nitro528

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
The objective of this project is to make something that looks unique, is actually small and can easily fit on a desk. I want to create an itx PC case that is cylindrical. It needs to support at least one 120mm radiator and a full-size GPU. Soon I'll upload AutoCAD &/or fusion 360 blueprints. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for going inactive, work to be done, uploading soon!
Material: 3mm aluminum.
Software used: Autodesk Fusion 360

BUILD LOG(ordered by priority):
  1. Uploading designs to website.
  2. Developing a full CAD and Fusion 360 design.

Last edited:

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Just before you get too into it, I hope you appreciate how complex this'll be to get down to a small size, if it's even possible. I dare say it is, but it'll require risers and the weirdest layout on the planet.

That said, I'd recommend 3mm aluminium or 2mm steel. For comparison, the NZXT S340 is 2mm steel (I just happen to have it at hand).

Steel would be cheaper, aluminium would be lighter and able to be anodised. Your call on which you use.

Also, don't totally limit yourself to natural convection going upward. For passive cases, sure that's pretty useful, but it's not notable vs. fans, and exhausting out the bottom can help keep dust from entering vs. intaking up bottom.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
...but it's not notable vs. fans, and exhausting out the bottom can help keep dust from entering vs. intaking up bottom.
It's this true? Curious because almost all cases have exhaust fans towards the top. Asking because I wanna find the optimal fan configuration.

Reactions: Nitro528

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
It's this true? Curious because almost all cases have exhaust fans towards the top. Asking because I wanna find the optimal fan configuration.
The reason for the usual upward flow of air is that ATX, and microATX (not sure about mini ITX) were designed for an airflow moving from the bottom (usually at the front) up toward the top rear. Originally they intended for CPU's to have passive heat sinks and the fan on the PSU to provide the air for the CPU. As CPU's got more powerful this was no longer viable but the practice continues.

Linus Tech Tips ran an experiment of three pc's not cleaned out but running for a whole year. The conclusion was more-or-less, balance your air in and air out (have a slight +ve airflow just to keep dust out of holes without fans), and the bottom exhaust to blow dust away, as well, bottom intake picks up dust. It also means the PSU won't suck up dust if it's fan is in the bottom. Also, filter any intake fans, don't filter exhaust fans.

In your case, the motherboard could be orientated in so many ways, and the GPU will likely need to be fitted to a riser, the PSU will probably be in an odd position too, and well, it's cylindrical. It's almost guaranteed that your airflow will already be different from a typical case.

Now in regards to strength of convection. When have you held your hand above something hot and felt a gust of air going up? I bet never. Sure hot air might be able to hold up paper, and in the great outdoors some birds, and blimps, may be able to utilise upward flows of hot air to gain altitude, but vs. a fan convection, at least at the temperatures your PC should keep it's air at, isn't going to be anywhere near as strong as the fans forcing air around. Passive cases don't have the benefit of fans, hence why they are designed to utilise convection.

You will have to look how space works out in your case, but it may be entirely viable to fit some sort of water cooling setup in your case using a reservoir, or potentially even evaporative cooling (I personally don't know how effective it is, I just know it exists and is sometimes used). Your components aren't circular so you will end up with gaps which could be used for either things such as that, or cable management.

talkion

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2017
Good luck on this project! Since the Cryorig Ola didn't come to fruition, it'll be interesting to see someone take on that form factor. That said, I'm curious as to why you picked a 140mm radiator size. There are only 2 or 3 140mm AIOs on sale today (the Kraken X42 and MasterLiquid Pro 140 come to mind) compared to the dozens of 120mm or 240mm AIOs on the market. As for a custom loop, those aren't exactly favorable in a SFF use case for some obvious reasons (airplane woes, space for a pump/res, etc.)...

Nitro528

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Also, don't totally limit yourself to natural convection going upward. For passive cases, sure that's pretty useful, but it's not notable vs. fans, and exhausting out the bottom can help keep dust from entering vs. intaking up bottom.

Would exhausting out the bottom be efficient? in that situation I'd have to add large feet to the bottom to prop it up against the ground, destroying the look. As for the layout, the case is going to operate out of different chambers (IE the Motherboard in one, the PSU in another, and the GPU and storage in the last). The entire reason I'm trying this overly complicated design is that I'm tired of the boring cubes that are everywhere, I want something unique. Thanks for all help!

Nitro528

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Good luck on this project! Since the Cryorig Ola didn't come to fruition, it'll be interesting to see someone take on that form factor. That said, I'm curious as to why you picked a 140mm radiator size. There are only 2 or 3 140mm AIOs on sale today (the Kraken X42 and MasterLiquid Pro 140 come to mind) compared to the dozens of 120mm or 240mm AIOs on the market. As for a custom loop, those aren't exactly favorable in a SFF use case for some obvious reasons (airplane woes, space for a pump/res, etc.)...
The idea is that it'll support both 120mm and 140mm AIO's for those people who want to put, for example, a 7980XE or an 8700k in their case, most people will probably use a low profile air cooler from Noctua.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
As for the layout, the case is going to operate out of different chambers (IE the Motherboard in one, the PSU in another, and the GPU and storage in the last).
I personally don't think "chambering" is the way to go. I think you'd be far better having a more open internal, and seeing how stuff just fits in one bit cylindrical space. Chambers could make airflow worse and cost a lot of space by restricting layout options. Your going to need multiple sides for air ventilation. You could do the sucking and blowing out the sides of the cylinder via perforations but I'm not sure how that'd look, and it'd be fiddly to mount fans too. My suggestion is intake in the top, exhaust out the bottom (or the bottom of the sides). You could get around feet disrupting the look by having a smaller cylinder on the bottom, and then the 'ring' of the bottom of the larger cylinder blowing out air, or perforating the entire lower cylinder.

It might be good to come up with some renders of these different ideas for the outside first. Have a bit of a play around. As I say though, chambering is probably the one thing I'd recommend you to more-or-less discount, at least, beyond splitting the case into two semi-cylinderical spaces inside, because I'm very confident it'd make the case either very large, poor at cooling, or both.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Nice project, maybe you can grab some ideas from this awesome one from @namealwaysinuse at OCN:
http://www.overclock.net/forum/18083-build-logs/1595486-build-log-trashcan-wayward.html

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I would say a full-size PSU isn't needed. I love the cylindrical design cases. Have you seen the BottleNext?