COVID-19 Discussion Thread

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Don't be fear-mongered, <snip>

Hey man how's your opinion faring so far?

Curious to know what changed and whatnot.

I mean, govt and med bodies stumbled over some stuff, yes (rapid antibodies test?? Pfft), but following basic health protocol shouldn't count as regurgitating fear. Even if wearing masks is only 15% effective; combine that with social distancing and washing hands, we got good enough odds. After all it's just to give enough time for researchers to develop vaccines, medications, and to keep med facilities un-flooded.

Good thing you guys voted that God chosen nutjob out of the office.

I love Christ, man, but I don't know if his Christ is the same as mine...

Reactions: Solo and Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Almost 1 year in and the virus finally got its wah into my front door.

3 out of 5 in our household tested positive with mild symptoms. From the two, one is tested negative (me) and the other we didn't test since she's 4.5 and can't be separated from us anyway.

In 2 days we'd have spent 15 days in self isolation. Only me is getting tested again to make sure I didn't caught it during the period.

My father was feverish, losing balance and nauseous. Xray showed mild pneumonia. My wife lose her sense of smell, joint pain, nausea and general muscle fatigue/weakness.

My grandma's oxygen saturation dropped to 82% and had to be fed through IV tube since she wouldn't eat, drink or get up during the last week.

I was supposed to be negative (they test me twice) but boy taking care of people everyday almost took me out.. I am grateful that their peaks were different each... and for online deliveries. And caring friends and families. And my lovely healthy daughter whom corona can't seem to touch.
Very sorry to hear that. You're doing a good thing taking care of everyone. Watch out for caregiver fatigue.

Where do you think the contact point was?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hopefully, I will receive 1st (of 2) vaccine injection next month.

Friendly reminder:- even after having vaccinated, social distancing+mask+regular hand washing/hygiene should still be used for max protection.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Very sorry to hear that. You're doing a good thing taking care of everyone. Watch out for caregiver fatigue.

Where do you think the contact point was?

Not too sure. During pandemic I lost my job at hospitality, then ventured to do a ghost restaurant kind of thing at home. So delivery ppl comes and goes, always outside and they're following protocols, but, you never know... It could also be the new cleaning service lady who started a week before my wife tested positive... But anything is speculation at this point. My dad was hit first and he goes out to exercise and buy fruits at local wet market etc. Could've been him.

Well either we got infected or vaccinated, right? Either way we're taking part in building herd immunity.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Hey man how's your opinion faring so far?

Curious to know what changed and whatnot.

I mean, govt and med bodies stumbled over some stuff, yes (rapid antibodies test?? Pfft), but following basic health protocol shouldn't count as regurgitating fear. Even if wearing masks is only 15% effective; combine that with social distancing and washing hands, we got good enough odds. After all it's just to give enough time for researchers to develop vaccines, medications, and to keep med facilities un-flooded.

Good thing you guys voted that God chosen nutjob out of the office.

I love Christ, man, but I don't know if his Christ is the same as mine...
Working great, only wear masks when going in stores, have yet to use a hand sanitizer. See a bunch of people less than SD everyday. Looking at the US CDC excess deaths actual Covid19 deaths according to their numbers are 6% of the number reported which is "with covid", CDC has never reported like that before. So actual is 6% of 450,000 or ~27,000 which puts it at average flu for a year. "With covid" deaths include gunshot wounds, car accidents, strokes, heart disease basically if you made it to a hospital and they tested(posthumous as well) you positive you were counted. Its informative that CDC used to allow displaying data back 20 years but then you could compare to 2008/9 H1N1 which was a real killer. Now can only go back 2 years.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Working great, only wear masks when going in stores, have yet to use a hand sanitizer. See a bunch of people less than SD everyday. Looking at the US CDC excess deaths actual Covid19 deaths according to their numbers are 6% of the number reported which is "with covid", CDC has never reported like that before. So actual is 6% of 450,000 or ~27,000 which puts it at average flu for a year. "With covid" deaths include gunshot wounds, car accidents, strokes, heart disease basically if you made it to a hospital and they tested(posthumous as well) you positive you were counted. Its informative that CDC used to allow displaying data back 20 years but then you could compare to 2008/9 H1N1 which was a real killer. Now can only go back 2 years.

What you believe there is completely and blatantly wrong. I’m a first responder. I have watched the disease take lives. I have seen first hand hospitals out of room, and had coworkers become very sick or die. I have seen the morgue trucks brought in due to running out of space to store bodies. I’ve watched friends get sick and die.

This is not a flu. The death rate is terrifyingly high. The after effects of this disease linger for months. It’s very, very dangerous.

Please, please treat this disease carefully. I don’t want to see more people get hurt by it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
It can be 6% or 27000 or anything - but I see human life as something more than just a number. Even 1 fatality is a loss.

Some countries do very well in handling Covid 19: Taiwan, New Zealand, Singapore. It's not hard to learn from them, really.

Reactions: Skripka and Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not too sure. During pandemic I lost my job at hospitality, then ventured to do a ghost restaurant kind of thing at home. So delivery ppl comes and goes, always outside and they're following protocols, but, you never know... It could also be the new cleaning service lady who started a week before my wife tested positive... But anything is speculation at this point. My dad was hit first and he goes out to exercise and buy fruits at local wet market etc. Could've been him.

Well either we got infected or vaccinated, right? Either way we're taking part in building herd immunity.

Sorry to hear that mate - about 2 months ago my 92 years old grandmother got infected with Covid but thankfully she recovered.

Funny thing happened - on her second day at the hospital, she removed her ventilator hose like.. "This thing is annoying. I'm fine, I don't need this"

Here's hoping your loved ones will recover soon.

Reactions: riba2233 and Phuncz

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Grannies, you know.. they're bad ass but with freaking thick skull..

@Revenant , kudos for fighting in our front lines. People can believe what they want to believe.

@Stevo_ , has it ever occured to you that you're seeing these numbers thanks to other more sensible people that do care and follows protocol?

I respect your opinion but spreading conspiracy theory is as deadly as fear mongering.

Hospitals' beds in my area have been full since January. It's our maybe fourth wave since april last year.

Reactions: Phuncz

Happy_Park2

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 7, 2020
NC here. In May, I was infected with Covid-19. Thank God the boss had already moved us to remote work with some additional software (Discord + WorkTime + Trello). Thankfully, no one else in the office was infected other than me. So guys, wear masks, please, it doesn't hurt.
2/26/2021
Just got a second vaccine dose today. Feeling well.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
What you believe there is completely and blatantly wrong. I’m a first responder. I have watched the disease take lives. I have seen first hand hospitals out of room, and had coworkers become very sick or die. I have seen the morgue trucks brought in due to running out of space to store bodies. I’ve watched friends get sick and die.

This is not a flu. The death rate is terrifyingly high. The after effects of this disease linger for months. It’s very, very dangerous.

Please, please treat this disease carefully. I don’t want to see more people get hurt by it.
I wish my employer would take it more seriously. Granted I've been lucky to work from home for part of the pandemic, but only after insisting and a lot of pushback. The moment the govt advice changes they'll be on us like a ton of bricks to be back in the office.

Last March the party line was that it's 'just a bad flu the vast majority of people recover from, it's been blown out of proportion and not a big deal' - I think we can all agree time has proven that wrong. You'd be surprised what people choose to believe when it fits their own narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig and Phuncz

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
Got my first Pfizer fix yesterday, so far just feeling a bit under the weather, little arm pain...but no extra limb growing and it doesn't feel like I have a tracking chip in my organism (afaik).

What surprised me is there was absolutely no waiting in queue at the vaccine 'bar' (the joint really looked like a pub) and the atmosphere was really relaxed.
Campaign really had a slow start in my country, but it seems like now all the technical and logistics issues are fixed.

It'll probably solve the ICU clutter and casualties rate, though it's a bit late for that from the people's perspective, from a real-time perspective I guess we should be grateful science-tech today is mighty enough to provide countermesures in such insanely short time (and welp, even if there's no solid proof that it's also probable that a science-tech screw-up released the virus...)

Now will it defeat the virus within a year or two ? I'm among those who doubt so.
Because there's still quite the significant % of the population who still refuse to respect the most elementary anti-virus hygiene (no-mask-distance-handswash) and refusing to get a vaccine, not even the incredibly low-risk mRNA recipe.
And the little fucker keeps mutating as expected, it's with us for a long time.

I also doubt it'll fix the worldwide social and economics re-shuffle, a new list of 'winners and losers'' countries different from the pre-pandemic one seems to emerge little by little.
Some countries like mine claim thing's well be back to normal after the pandemic, there'll be a rebound in growth and the display of optimism is a bit unsettling, smelling fishy.
IMO the real trend is that the Covid crisis only accelerated the already well-engaged growth of inequalities eco/soc gap.
Maybe the difference it made is that it confirmed which of the 1st world countries were going to more or less make it through the hardest times and preserve their lifestyle untouched...
...and which are clearly going down in ranks and their people's standards of living are going down period.

Last edited:

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
It felt like I broke my arm after the first Pfizer dose. I had less arm pain after the second dose, but had chills and overall body aches and had to urinate like every twenty minutes. The day after the second visit I was fine again.

Reactions: TheHig and rfarmer

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It felt like I broke my arm after the first Pfizer dose. I had less arm pain after the second dose, but had chills and overall body aches and had to urinate like every twenty minutes. The day after the second visit I was fine again.
I mentioned before and reiterate again. The advice is to drink plenty of water before taking a shot (on that morning) and after as well (on that afternoon, evening and night).

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
6-month thread resurrection is necessary to promote more covid-19 vaccination.

Had my 3rd booster shot. This is 6 months after my 2nd shot. No discomfort as the 2 previous times.
Still use this as an excuse to take the day off (to watch some DVDs).

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
6-month thread resurrection is necessary to promote more covid-19 vaccination.

Had my 3rd booster shot. This is 6 months after my 2nd shot. No discomfort as the 2 previous times.
Still use this as an excuse to take the day off (to watch some DVDs).

Which one did you get ? Had my 2nd shot 4 months ago, I'm good 'til late January.