COVID-19 Discussion Thread

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well....I'm going for my third round of testing for Covid. This time it's voluntary as I don't have symptoms but was in a situation with a confirmed Covid patient. I had my mask and gloves on some I'm confidant I'm going to test clear.

I honestly thought I would be used to all the "new normal" stuff by now, but that's pretty far from the case. I find myself now relaxing a bit too much, and making mistakes. The only way I can describe is just fatigue. I'm not looking to go party or anything, but the simple act of buying a drink at a gas station is now a multi-step process. Still, I'm lucky I can complain about this problem. The US is about to hit 100K lost to the disease.

Reactions: TheHig and Phuncz

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Dont under estimate it, i become ill 7 weeks ago with symptoms and went downhill rapidly. It's silent but things wont change soon too many idiots still not wearing masks etc thinkings its all a joke. Once i started recovering fully after a 4 weeks i then got shingles ! Ughhh not the best year so far !

Keep safe guys !

Reactions: Phuncz

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I've done 4 rounds of tests now. All clean, thank god. My co-workers weren't so lucky. Half of our division got infected. One of our neighboring divisions has actually had a person pass away with it. They were young too, with no complications. My neighbor got infected too, and is struggling to avoid the hospital. Miami is just getting torn up by this thing right now. Our hospital has a portable morgue outback...

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I've done 4 rounds of tests now. All clean, thank god. My co-workers weren't so lucky. Half of our division got infected. One of our neighboring divisions has actually had a person pass away with it. They were young too, with no complications. My neighbor got infected too, and is struggling to avoid the hospital. Miami is just getting torn up by this thing right now. Our hospital has a portable morgue outback...

Glad to know you're alright.

At the same time it's sad to learn that the impact of the pandemic is catastrophic & seems like it won't go away anytime soon.

Stay safe all.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Friendly reminder:- wear a mask and wash hands often and properly.

The main danger is that an infected person, at an early stage, does not necessarily exhibit symptoms. So, he does not wear a mask (thinking he is healthy). And he spreads the virus to others who are equally naive and ignorant (ie not wearing a mask). So, since no one is 100% he is not infected, do wear a mask to protect yourself and others.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
With South Africa having moved into position 5 worldwide now, with over 500000 cases, things are not looking good here.

Our problem, and I'm certain that we're not alone in this, is that despite a slew of regulations including mask wearing, curfews, bans on sales of alcohol and tabacco, and businesses going even further than required, people still aren't taking it seriously enough.

Everyone has a mask, as you can't get anywhere without one, but I often see them worn only over the mouth, and not the nose, or worse, hooked under someone's chin. On top of this people are still going and visiting friends and family and socializing in general. It's incredibly frustrating, and it's almost impossible to police.

Sadly, I think this is all going to last a lot longer than we had hoped, and I'm grateful that I'm now mainly working from home, and able to avoid public places more than most.

Reactions: tinyitx

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Everyone has a mask, as you can't get anywhere without one, but I often see them worn only over the mouth, and not the nose, or worse, hooked under someone's chin. On top of this people are still going and visiting friends and family and socializing in general. It's incredibly frustrating, and it's almost impossible to police.
I see this problem in every continent reported in the news. Some countries succeed in containing the pandemic better, I would guess people take it more seriously because the communication about the pandemic is done better. There is not enough being said about what the virus can and will do to the infected people, or atleast not from the media outlets I'm seeing. This makes it hard for many to justify following the rules.

Reactions: tinyitx and AlexTSG

Happy_Park2

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 7, 2020
NC here. In May, I was infected with Covid-19. Thank God the boss had already moved us to remote work with some additional software (Discord + WorkTIme + Trello). Thankfully, no one else in the office was infected other than me. So guys, wear masks, please, it doesn't hurt.

Reactions: tinyitx and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was already doing that in March and still doing it. I worry about it every day. If I feel something out of the ordinary, I skip a beat and think about the possible people I've come across in the past 5 days. Every day I burn my insides with habanero and jalapeno peppers anyway so that virus is going to have to fight the inferno that is my inner body.

Reactions: tinyitx

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
habanero and jalapeno peppers

You have good taste ! Lets have a meal someday ;-)

I'm lucky enough that I've been on remote work since march 100% of the time and will be 'til at least September 2.

Organised myself to go food shopping once a week, during lunch break hours to come accross as few people as I can.

Luckily, all 4 of us are safe, but a good friend of mine got infected in March and still isn't fully healed. He's 40, non-smoker, fit and runs on a daily basis.... It's not only targeting old or fragile people, so as mentioned : Wear a Mask !

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx and Phuncz

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Don't be fear-mongered, seriously if you're under 30 you should be more worried about getting struck by lightning and dying. Massive studies by the CDC show that hygiene, masks, and lockdowns are ineffective in dealing with ILI's. I'm 62 go out 3 times a day with the dog meet as many people as possible and only wear a mask in stores as required, touch what I want to touch and wash normally, nothing and looking at the odds about the same as dying in a car crash. The PCR test are inaccurate and non-specific, very temp and cycle sensitive and quite possibly dependent on the test kit. The antigen test appears to be even less accurate (Gov Dewine positive then negative twice).

The link below is the CDC excess death charts(all causes) going back to 2017 and include the last somewhat large seasonal influenza from 2 years ago, Covid19 barely eeks it out for deaths and the only reason it does was primarily 5 blue governors that forced (against strenuous medical community objections) covid patients into nursing homes and other elderly care facilities. If you want to see the nursing home effect, pull-down NY, NJ or PA excess death from tab above the chart and then do the same for any sane state hell even CA which is insane(live there) but at least Newsome didn't make that stupid mistake. Or if you want states in the neighborhood ME, VT, NH versus MA, CT, NY, NJ.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Every day I burn my insides with habanero and jalapeno peppers anyway so that virus is going to have to fight the inferno that is my inner body.
Tabasco sauce is always sitting on our dining table, in addition to many other hot sauces.
Just do not drink or inject Dettol or other disinfectants into your body to cleanse the insides (as suggested by a world class idiot).

In public places, avoid touching those areas where many hands usually touch on (eg door handle, elevator buttons, escalator handrail, handrail inside a bus or a mass transit rail carriage...etc).

This Covid-19 is likely to be with us for a long time, according to many experts. Winter time could be a time for another serious surge. So, it is imperative to change some bad daily habits. It is bad if you get infected. It is worse if you are careless and pass your infection to your family.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Winter time could be a time for another serious surge.
Good suggestions all around !

The fear of the winter climate being a factor in spreading the virus has recently been suggested as not being an issue, as it is already winter in some parts of the world and the infection rates aren't better or worse than the parts of the world where it is summer. Though behavioral changes might be a factor. It'll also depend on culture and habits ofcourse.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
to those who are saying "the young don't get it as bad": thanks/nothanks for making them the unknowing test subjects

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
NZ has successfully reached 100 days with zero community transmission of COVID-19. All current cases we have are in managed isolation after returning to NZ.

Life has pretty much returned to normal here, except locked borders. No masks, no social distancing, restricted domestic movement.. etc. I feel for y'all overseas, I can't imagine how it feels being under restrictions for so long :(

Hoping that a vaccine comes soon. And that the anti-vaxxers catch COVID keep their mouths shut and people actually vaccinate.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Locking the boarders and effectively being isolated land-wise along with having a very short leash on the local outbreaks proved it can be managed. New Zealand during this pandemic is an excellent example of how it should be managed.

Meanwhile other countries are having a battle with their governments taking different priorities ranging from freedom for the people, keeping jobs, protecting companies against falling over, etc.

I notice this in Europe where the way countries are handling the pandemic is very different per country, but still allowing crossing borders freely. This makes it hard to reach the point where New Zealand is at at having the situation under control.

I'm very disappointed in many governments communicating poorly or even outright lying, but also the people not having a sense of urgency or common sense. In a problem that threatens our society, we are not all taking it very seriously or put our own ideals first.

Reactions: confusis

furkanz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 29, 2020
guys, do keep social distance and wear mask. The new cases in EU really shocked. I thought the virus was contained successfully, lol

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Thankfully, KN95 masks and P100 cartridges have become attainable. Our family group does not go anywhere unless it's to get supplies. It's boring, but safe.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
If you're in the US, here is the only FDA approved KN95 mask on Amazon. They're allowing orders.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Almost 1 year in and the virus finally got its wah into my front door.

3 out of 5 in our household tested positive with mild symptoms. From the two, one is tested negative (me) and the other we didn't test since she's 4.5 and can't be separated from us anyway.

In 2 days we'd have spent 15 days in self isolation. Only me is getting tested again to make sure I didn't caught it during the period.

My father was feverish, losing balance and nauseous. Xray showed mild pneumonia. My wife lose her sense of smell, joint pain, nausea and general muscle fatigue/weakness.

My grandma's oxygen saturation dropped to 82% and had to be fed through IV tube since she wouldn't eat, drink or get up during the last week.

I was supposed to be negative (they test me twice) but boy taking care of people everyday almost took me out.. I am grateful that their peaks were different each... and for online deliveries. And caring friends and families. And my lovely healthy daughter whom corona can't seem to touch.

• Sad
Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer