COVID-19 Discussion Thread

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
My symptoms aren't worse but aren't better. The testing facility stopped doing any tests without appointments due to funding. I'm scheduled for tomorrow. I had to alert my command staff which was a tough phone call to make. No one wants to be alarmist, but no one wants to infect anyone else. They have been extremely supportive, and I thank them for that. I'm blessed with a great command staff.

I'm hoping that this might just be a normal flu. However, my work building has several dozen people either infected or quarantined. I wore my own P100 mask the entire time I was in there with the exception of eating or drinking, and we sanitized our work area two to three times daily. But we were taking temps of everyone coming in and out, including people with known Covid-19 diagnosis.

The scary part is that these symptoms hit me out of no where. I was sitting on my couch after work feeling fine. Then two hours later, I'm feeling like I got hit by train and running a fever.

I hope you'll be OK!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Revenant Best wishes for your recovery!

Update from my end:
NZ is down to single digits in new cases daily. Only 12 have died, all elderly with underlying health conditions. Sentinel testing around the country has resulted in 100% negative test results - no community transmission or hiding cases thus far.

Decision day tomorrow from the government regarding a slight relaxing of lockdown. Not much will change, except ability to source more stuff online.

I'm still working as essential services, which, due to management and customer stuff, means I am absolutely shattered. I can't take time off until June, so burn out here I come! My children are doing school from home, which keeps them occupied as my nephew looks after them (I'm a solo parent, so this has been an extra challenging time in regards to logistics)

NZ's status as of today:
covid1.PNG

covid2.PNG

Reactions: Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
@Revenant
Update from my end:
NZ is down to single digits in new cases daily. Only 12 have died, all elderly with underlying health conditions. Sentinel testing around the country has resulted in 100% negative test results - no community transmission or hiding cases thus far.
Your country is doing good, among one of the better ones in the world.
Looks like some people are targeting NZ as doomsday hideout, if this virus turns out really bad.

Reactions: confusis

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Looks like some people are targeting NZ as doomsday hideout, if this virus turns out really bad.

Yeah, no.
I hope NZ keeps them out.
Would be terrible if NZ almost got it eradicated and then got a whole bunch of infected visitors.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Border is closed to foreigners for the foreseeable anyways. A few people with bunkers got in before the lockdown, but that was a month ago at this point. Sorry folks, paradise is closed.

Reactions: paulesko

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Here in South Africa we've just had our lockdown extended to the end of the month. I think we've acted quickly enough to avoid what could have been a catastrophic spread. Coming out of the lockdown gradually enough is going to be the hard part. There's just no way you can go from lockdown to life as usual overnight.

I work for an essential services company (we provide and service cash handling equipment for the banks), but I'm only traveling to the office once or twice a week during the lockdown, just enough to check on stuff and make sure nothing stops working.

It's great having forums like this one where we still get to have some interaction with the outside world, and following a build thread, or reading about upcoming hardware, is a welcome respite from the constant stream of depressing news everywhere else.

Best of luck to everyone dealing with this all over the world.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, most of my symptoms have now cleared up. I have a little fatigue, and an occasional cough. I'm still waiting for the test results. I suspect maybe Thursday. The wife however, has started to show a few of the early symptoms I had. We still don't know for certain if this Covid-19 yet.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Hopefully you and your Mrs are holding up and feeling well soon no matter how your test comes back.

Your experience just highlights how nerve racking this thing is. Some people get a mild case and get through it or never know they actually had it due to limited testing. Some obviously aren't so fortunate.

Reactions: rfarmer

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hopefully you and your Mrs are holding up and feeling well soon no matter how your test comes back.

Your experience just highlights how nerve racking this thing is. Some people get a mild case and get through it or never know they actually had it due to limited testing. Some obviously aren't so fortunate.

So far, so good. We're being very cautious of a second wave, sleeping as much as our 18 month old will allow, and eating healthy. I'm blessed to have a doctor in my family who has been guiding me through this. Unfortunately, testing is still very much a complete failure in the USA. I got tested on the morning of the 19th, and now Quest diagnostics has told me they're behind on getting results. I can expect mine on the 24th or 25th. It's immensely frustrating since we are also symptomatic to other diseases, but have to wait for this test first.

To be clear, everyone we have talked to, or met, has been kind and helpful. But our system is has been cut down to virtual skeleton crews of staff in order to squeeze every once of profit and efficiency out of people and resources. We can't just hire highly trained medical staff when there is a sudden pandemic! I don't see long lines of doctors, nurses, lab experts and other critical personnel waiting around to be hired.

Even seemingly mundane aspects such as traffic control require training to keep things running smoothly and safely. While waiting to be tested the first time, we had to give a crash course to the National Guard kids who had never directed traffic once in their life, or had to deal with the public. These were kids who were taught to deal with someone running a check point in Afghanistan, not an unruly "karen" who can't follow directions, or an elderly couple who are hard of hearing and can't read the signs telling them where to go, who u-turn into oncoming traffic or through a check point. God help them when the conspiracy theorist with schizophrenia is trying to "expose" what ever lunacy they think is real and is in their face with a camera while standing on a sidewalk.

I want to say that this will be a lesson learned, but honestly, I think it will be a lesson forgotten within a year of burying our 45,000 lost brothers and sisters.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So far, so good. We're being very cautious of a second wave, sleeping as much as our 18 month old will allow, and eating healthy. I'm blessed to have a doctor in my family who has been guiding me through this. Unfortunately, testing is still very much a complete failure in the USA. I got tested on the morning of the 19th, and now Quest diagnostics has told me they're behind on getting results. I can expect mine on the 24th or 25th. It's immensely frustrating since we are also symptomatic to other diseases, but have to wait for this test first.

To be clear, everyone we have talked to, or met, has been kind and helpful. But our system is has been cut down to virtual skeleton crews of staff in order to squeeze every once of profit and efficiency out of people and resources. We can't just hire highly trained medical staff when there is a sudden pandemic! I don't see long lines of doctors, nurses, lab experts and other critical personnel waiting around to be hired.

Even seemingly mundane aspects such as traffic control require training to keep things running smoothly and safely. While waiting to be tested the first time, we had to give a crash course to the National Guard kids who had never directed traffic once in their life, or had to deal with the public. These were kids who were taught to deal with someone running a check point in Afghanistan, not an unruly "karen" who can't follow directions, or an elderly couple who are hard of hearing and can't read the signs telling them where to go, who u-turn into oncoming traffic or through a check point. God help them when the conspiracy theorist with schizophrenia is trying to "expose" what ever lunacy they think is real and is in their face with a camera while standing on a sidewalk.

I want to say that this will be a lesson learned, but honestly, I think it will be a lesson forgotten within a year of burying our 45,000 lost brothers and sisters.

Yes, eat balanced meal & take proper rest. And stay positive.

I'm slightly on a different opinion: people will always remember this pandemic, and it'll bring some positive changes to our life style, such as; some people will avoid eating certain animals, or that working from home is totally possible, etc.

Having said that.. I also understand that humanity is stupid enough that, even with all these bad experiences, the chance that something stupid like this happening again is not zero.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
NZ recorded zero* new cases today!

*technically 3 new cases, but 3 have been reclassified as possibly already counted overseas, so net 0.

That‘s excellent news, and proof that lockdowns and precautions do work, when they’re done properly.

Lets hope we can see more posts with news like this from other places in the world soon!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I got good news today. The doctors called and told me I had a viral infection that WAS NOT Covid-19. They said the symptoms are very similar, and that I need to keep an eye out for symptoms of meningitis. I've never been so happy to get news I'm infected with a virus LOL.

I'm truthfully relieved and also frustrated. It's good to know I don't have Covid-19. But that relief comes at the knowledge that it's back to questioning every interaction, every delivery, and every sneeze and cough.

Thanks all for the support. It's been greatly appreciated by me and my family.

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
I got good news today. The doctors called and told me I had a viral infection that WAS NOT Covid-19. They said the symptoms are very similar, and that I need to keep an eye out for symptoms of meningitis. I've never been so happy to get news I'm infected with a virus LOL.

I'm truthfully relieved and also frustrated. It's good to know I don't have Covid-19. But that relief comes at the knowledge that it's back to questioning every interaction, every delivery, and every sneeze and cough.

Thanks all for the support. It's been greatly appreciated by me and my family.
Oh, but still - take care. Meningitis is also serious. It's curable, but only when help comes on time.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Here in Belgium we're 6 weeks into lockdown. Even though I don't have much issue with the measures being an introvert and my work situation being exactly the same but more stressful, it is weighing on me not able to see friends and family for a long time. I'm glad I don't live in a tiny appartment or I'd probably have grown spider legs so I could hug the ceiling. Today we'll find out more about Belgium's exit strategy. We're seemingly on the better end of the bell curve with reduced people needing hospitalisation and even reduced daily deceased. But we're still weeks out from feeling we've conquered this in our country.

I'm especially interested how humanity will change going forward. Will we look at life, work, economy and priorities differently ?

Reactions: TheHig

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Hong Kong report:- 14th consecutive day with zero local transmission! Government is considering to relax social distancing laws as far as dining in a restaurant is concerned. Currently, only 4 people per table and table-to-table must be at least 1.5m apart...etc Consider relaxing to 6 people per table, I think.

Summer is approaching fast. Daily high temp will be 31-33C with 90% humidity in this coming week. Wearing a mask becomes really uncomfortable. But this has to be done.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
We just opened our parks up in South Florida for passive use. That means anything that requires staff was closed. A bunch of gun owners were upset they couldn’t shoot at the range. A lot of people weren’t wearing masks or social distancing. A surprising number think it’s all some sort of “deep state” world wide conspiracy... idiots.

Reactions: ignsvn and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
It’s a healthy mix of people doing the right things and those who aren’t here in SW Ohio. Masks are now mandatory at my office and we are still having 40% of us working from home. Those in the building are spread out as we have an open office floor plan. That’s something I suppose. I’m in the office myself and just keeping vigilant.
My community as a whole is doing great but with better weather a ton of people are in small groups, biking, walking the dog or playing with their kids. Just keeping hope that we don’t have a large local flare up.

Reactions: Revenant