COVID-19 Discussion Thread

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hello SFFn!

Around the world, cases of COVID-19 increasing, and it's already affecting some us here on SFFn. I figured a general discussion thread would be nice, but it also has a further purpose: We, as a community, can help fight.

There's a few ways to do this.

You can donate to the World Health Organization's Coronavirus Fund: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/donate
You can donate to local hospitals or volunteer (if you take the volunteer option, please be safe!)
You can help gather and donate PPE (personal protection equiptment) to local hospitals/relief organizations
You can join r/sffpc's F@H team and donate extra compute power:
F@H distribute Work Units to volunteer’s PCs around the world. Completed WUs are sent back to F@H server and will help speeding up the research progress of projects assigned. To incentivise this activity there is a mild competitive aspect in the form of credits/score. Multiple users can band together to form teams and compete with each other to amass a large amount of points. To assist with the effort please download the Folding@Home client here - We’d recommend you generate a passkey for yourself during setup to keep statistics personal. If you’re interested in joining our team you can do so by using the team code 237047. Any members of the server who join our team and contribute on an ongoing basis will be awarded a special role. Note: Please keep in mind folding can cause greater energy usage, and evaluate if you can afford the potential rise in electricity bills as a result.

And finally, if you have a 3D printer, you can produce that need PPE (as well as ventilators) yourself, with PETG (preferably, easier to disinfect) or PLA!

This Youtube video is a great intro to what to do:

You can donate your prints to local organizations if they're complete, or you can send them (if they're the Prusa-designed masks) to @Repkord on twitter, who will complete them with elastic bands and lasercut front shields.

If you make the other masks, you can sign up at masksfordocs.com, and they'll tell you where your prints should go, and what is needed!

If somethings unclear, watching the video above will make everything more clear.

We focus on small, here at SFFn, but if even a few of us start working at this, we can have a huge impact!

Last edited:
Reactions: She loved E

She loved E

Add smallness
Compact Splash
Jun 24, 2015
Great resources, thank you! Now that my fam is safely holed up at home I need to get my f@h rig going again and do more to help to others who need it. A great local resource, Free Geek, is equipping kids with computers so they can learn from home and needs donations, I'd recommend donating extra parts or $$ to them or similar nonprofits in your area.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Great resources, thank you! Now that my fam is safely holed up at home I need to get my f@h rig going again and do more to help to others who need it. A great local resource, Free Geek, is equipping kids with computers so they can learn from home and needs donations, I'd recommend donating extra parts or $$ to them or similar nonprofits in your area.

I've got some components I'm not using, and that's a good cause! I'll look into it!

Personal Update: I got my Cube X printer dialed in and am text printing some ventilator attachments and a few mask frames overnight.
I'll post some pictures once they're done, but it's looking nice!
Now that I have a really good reason to print stuff, it's making it a lot more fun!
10/10 Very fulfilling!

Reactions: She loved E

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Learn how to wash you hands in a proper way (by WHO). Train yourself so that even after COVID-19 is gone, you will continue this as a habit. This will benefit yourself as well as your community.

Also, I suggest, when washing with soap the front and back of your hands, wash the wrist area as well.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Learn how to wash you hands in a proper way (by WHO). Train yourself so that even after COVID-19 is gone, you will continue this as a habit. This will benefit yourself as well as your community.

Also, I suggest, when washing with soap the front and back of your hands, wash the wrist area as well.

Thanks for sharing!
This is also a good one:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
NZ is on full lockdown, with no PC parts buying! However, I work for a supermarket chain, so we are working through the lockdown as an essential service. Putting my life on the line to make sure people can eat. Longer hours due to demand (fast food is shut down so people have to cook at home.. yes, NZ has no McDonalds, Burger Kings, Starbucks, etc etc open!)

Still low risk compared to those in healthcare. Kia kaha (Be Strong) NZ and those around the world!

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
WELL. At least the fatality rate of squirrels/chipmunks/deer have probably gone way down.

P.S. we currently have over 160k cases here. So, yeah. Fuck me sideways.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
My wife was told today that she is being furloughed for the equivalent time of what she would be paid for the government check. Then they want her to work anyway. Real nice....

On a different note, I’ve got 6 systems folding right now. That’s a total of 6 GPUs, 36 CPU Cores and (68 CPU threads) dedicated to Corona research.

Reactions: Dawelio

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
My wife was told today that she is being furloughed for the equivalent time of what she would be paid for the government check. Then they want her to work anyway. Real nice....

On a different note, I’ve got 6 systems folding right now. That’s a total of 6 GPUs, 36 CPU Cores and (68 CPU threads) dedicated to Corona research.

Sorry to hear about that, and great work!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Working in medical equipment maintenance in USA.

It's a shit show here and we're about to get it really hard. NYC is just the preview, yet some states aren't taking seriously.

I'm not a fan of WHO now. After seeing what happened, and the suppression of data I question their leadership.

South Korea and Taiwan are the leading authority so far on how to contain a pandemic.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I agree a lot with what the hack said. South korea is the example to follow in this case.

This is a video that explains some things, not any in depth stuff but something you can share because it has good info.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'm a first responder, and you wouldn't believe the foolishness we've been seeing. People aren't taking this seriously, or are completely naive to how to not contaminate others. There was one subject showing all the symptoms who was bitterly complaining that COVID-19 was a political hoax while the room NEXT DOOR a woman was in her probably last 24 hours of life from it.

Stay home if you can. This isn't a joke.

Also I can vouch that InstaCart through BJs Wholesale did a good job getting us our groceries. We're stocked up for the next three weeks, and was well worth the money.

Reactions: riba2233

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I'm a first responder, and you wouldn't believe the foolishness we've been seeing. People aren't taking this seriously, or are completely naive to how to not contaminate others. There was one subject showing all the symptoms who was bitterly complaining that COVID-19 was a political hoax while the room NEXT DOOR a woman was in her probably last 24 hours of life from it.

Stay home if you can. This isn't a joke.

Also I can vouch that InstaCart through BJs Wholesale did a good job getting us our groceries. We're stocked up for the next three weeks, and was well worth the money.

Best wishes to you/your family, as you're on the front lines. It must be all the harder. My heart goes out to you.

Reactions: Dawelio

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Best wishes to you/your family, as you're on the front lines. It must be all the harder. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you. Please tell everyone that the best way to support us is simply by staying inside and trying your best not to get sick.

ON THAT NOTE.... humble bundle has a great deal on games right now to keep people inside. ;)

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
Thank you. Please tell everyone that the best way to support us is simply by staying inside and trying your best not to get sick.

ON THAT NOTE.... humble bundle has a great deal on games right now to keep people inside. ;)

Yeah, I'm currently on the 20th day of being in my house. ?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It's starting to get bad now. Part of our building is quarantined. A dozen people are positive. Three times as many are quarantined. And we're starting to loose responders that we know. A friend of a friend died. He was young, healthy, and died abruptly of Covid.

Stay home....

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
We lost another first responder...

My heart goes out to you and your coworkers, and their families. If I survive this, I'll never forget those who fought so bravely. Right now, we're all in debt to people like you. ❤️

Reactions: Revenant