Power Supply Corsair SF600 Cables compatability

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
So i got a Sharkoon Silenstorm 500w sfx-l unit that i previously used. I always felt it was slightly underpowered for my 980ti +6700 setup. The other day while removing the gpu i damaged the CPU power cable (ncase m1 so thight). Unable to get a replacement, i got the SF600.

But the SF600 is a total nightmare (imo). Extremely noisy, coil whine and it makes the rest of the system coil whine as well. Since I'm kinda silent freak, that is no good.

My question is;
Can i use the SF600 psu cables with my sharkoon 500w unit? I can get a corsair replacement kit no issues.

Also;

Silverstone has a short cable kit (PP-05e). since the sharkoon psu is basically the same as silverstones, can that be compatible?

Last edited:

danger

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2017
I find my SF450 is loud under load too. Reviews and other users seem to disagree with me, but I find it loud.

Not all PSU cables are interchangeable from different brands. I want to say corsair are generally not compatible with other brands, but I'm not sure about sharkoon.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 18, 2016
I find my SF450 is loud under load too. Reviews and other users seem to disagree with me, but I find it loud.

Not all PSU cables are interchangeable from different brands. I want to say corsair are generally not compatible with other brands, but I'm not sure about sharkoon.

IKR! People need to check their hearing. The SF is not silent by a long shot.

Thanks, at least I can rule out the SF cables.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I think the Sharkoon and the SilverStone may have different pinouts.

Here's the Corsair SF600:

And here's the PE-750, which has an interchangeable pinout with the SilverStone:

The 12V and the GND for the CPU 8-pin are flipped between the Corsair and the SilverStone. So if you're comportable repinning the cable, then you could make the PP05 cable work.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

I guess it depends on the load -- with an 6600k and a 750Ti I have literally never seen the fan move at all besides when I turned it on.

Edit: I have an SF-450

Last edited:
Reactions: cmyk78

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
With a 6700k and 1070 the fan rarely spins up, and it usually spins at a very low rpm.

Edit: I have the SF450

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X

danger

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2017
I guess it depends on the load -- with an 6600k and a 750Ti I have literally never seen the fan move at all besides when I turned it on.

Edit: I have an SF-450
Absolutely it does. With my 1060, I never hear the fan either, but with my 1070, it's loud. I manually stopped the fan on my 1070 to make sure the noise I was hearing was from the PSU, and it was.

Reactions: Ceros_X

Sure_Sh0t

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017
I have a SF600 in the mail and I did a lot of research on it. Apparently Corsair uses a very aggressive fan profile that is based (mostly) on wattage, not temperature and the fan itself is very high RPM. That means no matter how well you cool the power supply the fan will run at max if you are using a 1080, etc. Corsair claims they take temperature into account but it seems to have little effect on the fan curve. You can replace the fan though.

I was thinking of using the NF-A9 and this adapter to replace the fan. It is probably the best slim 92mm fan on the market.

The Silverstone SX600 is said by some to be quieter but testing says otherwise. The analysis also shows the power supply itself is of shockingly low quality. It may actually shorten the life of components in a system.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's very mixed reports on the SF600. Some people say the fan never turns on in their machines while in others it can turn on while idling and is annoyingly loud at load.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Absolutely it does. With my 1060, I never hear the fan either, but with my 1070, it's loud. I manually stopped the fan on my 1070 to make sure the noise I was hearing was from the PSU, and it was.

Strange, I almost never notice the fan with a 2600k and a 1080. I suppose it might be an orientation thing (the psu-fan is directed away from me into the case with a 120mm fan slowly spinning "fresh" air on it from the side.)

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
I never heard the SF600 fan. I bought it 2 weeks ago but i surely have not heard anything at all. It runs on open air though but the load is quite heavy considering that it powers a 4770K (slightly overclocked) and a R9 nano (not overclocked but runs without power limit). It rarely spins and when it does it is totally unnoticable.

Sure_Sh0t

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017
I never heard the SF600 fan. I bought it 2 weeks ago but i surely have not heard anything at all. It runs on open air though but the load is quite heavy considering that it powers a 4770K (slightly overclocked) and a R9 nano (not overclocked but runs without power limit). It rarely spins and when it does it is totally unnoticable.

It seems the fan noise issues was from Corsair's review samples and the production model has a much less aggressive curve.

Reactions: cmyk78

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wasn't impressed with the noise level at load on either of my SF600s and both were production units.