CPU Cooling questions for 3900x in SFF

UltraMagnus

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 7, 2020
I have a Phanteks Evolv Shift Air case. Looking at upgrading my CPU to a 3900x from my 3600. Want to do more video editing and some streaming. Here in lays the real question. How the heck would I cool something like that in an ITX case? Thermals are good on my 3600. Not looking to OC with the 3900x but don't want to pay the 3900x price and not be able to at least run off stock clock speeds. Looked at a Cryorig C7G 405 (seems to be the best candidate air cooler,) Scythe Big Shuriken 3 and the Corsair H80i. I can't find reliable data on cooling a 3900x in a SFF. I see alot of comparisons to 3700x and 3800x but in reality, the 3900x is quite a different beast all in its own and can be a heat and power hog.

The final concern, if I DO pick up one of these CPUs, I don't want to damage my expensive tech. I love my case and am not looking to change that up. This is a pretty new build for me. I have plenty of experience (building PC's for 10 years for myself and family and friends and sold a few rigs I built out too.) I've built in a Raven RVZ01 and Cougar QBX but again, I've never used components as high end in a SFF as what I am looking at and just REALLY afraid of the thermals and performance. I want to achieve what I pay for.

Thoughts? Help? Direction?

Here is my current build..... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UltraMagnus69r/builds/#view=YcdXsY

UltraMagnus

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 7, 2020
If you don't go AIO then Eco mode is the solution. I cool my 3900X in the Dan A4 with just the Noctua L9a.

Do you think the Corsair H80i would be enough to tame it in the Shift Air without Eco Mode? Eco Mode just changes the TDP to 95 (or is it 65?)

bhk1004

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2020
I'd say give it a try. Worst case you just run eco mode if needed. I run between eco and stock for my 3950x on 645lt mainly to keep it around low 70 degrees max off prime95 which is plenty for me. I think all core boost is about 3.6 for eco, I'm running around 3.8 and stock is around 4 ish. I just adjust down tdp as needed to get to where I am comfy. At stock I would sit around 80 degrees, and just ramped that down a little bit. In the 50s for eco. Single core max boost for all 3 still hits around 4.6-4.7.

Many options to control it to based on what you are comfortable with and need.

Reactions: UltraMagnus

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Do you think the Corsair H80i would be enough to tame it in the Shift Air without Eco Mode? Eco Mode just changes the TDP to 95 (or is it 65?)

H80i has a very thick rad so it should be able to handle it on stock, maybe slight overclock too. Eco mode is supposed to limit TDP to 65W, my 3900X runs only runs at 88W PPT at 100% load versus 142W PPT stock

Reactions: UltraMagnus

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Hi, nice build.

May I ask you, what is max temp & max clock under load on 3900X in eco mode?
Forgot what it's like during full load / benchmark, but from my normal usage (20-40 chrome tabs at any given time plus Bluestacks 4), max all core is 3.8, single core can still get to 4.3-4.4, temps avg around 66-68C, with random spike at 80C (my ambient is 32-33C).

Reactions: A300

Fede

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2020
I have a Phanteks Evolv Shift Air case. Looking at upgrading my CPU to a 3900x from my 3600. Want to do more video editing and some streaming. Here in lays the real question. How the heck would I cool something like that in an ITX case? Thermals are good on my 3600. Not looking to OC with the 3900x but don't want to pay the 3900x price and not be able to at least run off stock clock speeds. Looked at a Cryorig C7G 405 (seems to be the best candidate air cooler,) Scythe Big Shuriken 3 and the Corsair H80i. I can't find reliable data on cooling a 3900x in a SFF. I see alot of comparisons to 3700x and 3800x but in reality, the 3900x is quite a different beast all in its own and can be a heat and power hog.

The final concern, if I DO pick up one of these CPUs, I don't want to damage my expensive tech. I love my case and am not looking to change that up. This is a pretty new build for me. I have plenty of experience (building PC's for 10 years for myself and family and friends and sold a few rigs I built out too.) I've built in a Raven RVZ01 and Cougar QBX but again, I've never used components as high end in a SFF as what I am looking at and just REALLY afraid of the thermals and performance. I want to achieve what I pay for.

Thoughts? Help? Direction?

Here is my current build..... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/UltraMagnus69r/builds/#view=YcdXsY

In the Phanteks case you have 80 mm for cooler, so fit the Noctua NHL-12S (70 mm) (NHL-12S)
In the Noctua web you can see the compatibility information and are true and very reliable.

The NH-L9A on 3900X say: "Possible but sustained clock speed will be below base clock"
NH-L9A Support

The NHL-12S on 3900X say: "compatible without turbo/overclocking headroom"
NH-L12S Support

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Using the topic - has anyone cooled 3900X/3950X with Wraith Stealth (the one from 3600), in Eco Mode, of course? Should be good, if L9A is good

dmitrybask

Caliper Novice
Nov 4, 2020
If you take

I recommend to try best performing low profiles. These are L12S and Big Shuriken 3. I recommend to take Shuriken and swap fan to 25mm Noctua, because rad is lower. It will definitely handle 105w CPU, but fan noise in SFF will be bad without proper airflow.

L9A and C7G won’t make it.

H80i is a 120 AIO. It is good, but performance is comparable with good low profile coolers

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
If you don't go AIO then Eco mode is the solution. I used to cool my 3900X in the Dan A4 with just the Noctua L9a.

I'm looking at putting an L9a on a 5900x. Is that crazy? I was looking at the 5800x but apparently it runs a lot hotter. The 5600x would be more sensible, but I am a bit mad.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I'm looking at putting an L9a on a 5900x. Is that crazy? I was looking at the 5800x but apparently it runs a lot hotter. The 5600x would be more sensible, but I am a bit mad.
If you go ECO mode again it's completely feasible. I would expect Zen 3 CPUs to be more optimised than Zen 2 equivalent and runs more efficiently

Reactions: lozza_c

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
If you go ECO mode again it's completely feasible. I would expect Zen 3 CPUs to be more optimised than Zen 2 equivalent and runs more efficiently

Wondering if the Black Ridge with NF-A9x14 would make much difference over the L9a? If it did the compromise would be VLP RAM as I understand it

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Wondering if the Black Ridge with NF-A9x14 would make much difference over the L9a? If it did the compromise would be VLP RAM as I understand it
yes, you'll see the temp dropped. trust Dan, he designed the case AND the cooler after all. you'll only need VLP RAM if you plan to use A12x15 below the BR, if just A9x14 you can use normal RAM

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
yes, you'll see the temp dropped. trust Dan, he designed the case AND the cooler after all. you'll only need VLP RAM if you plan to use A12x15 below the BR, if just A9x14 you can use normal RAM

Excellent, thanks. Yeah will site it under the block due to upward clearance issues. Somewhat conversely, I'm thinking the BR/A12x15 would be a better choice for the 5800X going off these initial reports of it running hot; hoping could possibly get away with the BR/A9x14 on a 5900X if the stories are true and it runs cooler. Tough to know at this stage though, and whether either would do an adequate job of cooling at stock. Otherwise for the penurious build the 5600X with L9a is the sensible option.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread OP :)