Log Confused between building SFF PC or Mini PC for Media & Light Gaming to 4K TV

infernuz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 8, 2023
Hello everyone! My first post here.

My wife and I wanted to play together on our 65" 4K TV. I am not into console gaming so I am planning to build a SFF HTPC with light to moderate gaming capabilities. I'd like to know after explaining further whether it is financially reasonable, or I am better off with mini PCs such as Minisforum etc. My experience with PC building is with ATX and M-ATX so Mini-ITX will be a first.

Purpose of Use and Wants
- Light Gaming (split screen couch co-op games like Rocket League, F1 22, RPGs etc.), doesn't aim for top quality as long as less or no stutter, mostly old games?
- Watch videos not available on built-in Netflix and YouTube in the TV.
- This will not run 24/7.
- Controller and Wireless Media Keyboard - any alternatives to XBOX Wireless Controller w/o compatibility issues? For KB/Mouse replacement, I found Rii Wireless Media Keyboard and is it good?
- Some parts will be repurposed from my main PC (R5 5500, 8GBx2 DDR4 3200, SATA SSD)
- My Idea of Specs: Target budget $500-600 at the most if doable; price in USD for reference (local in JPY)

Plan:
1. Build w/ repurposed parts. Can't decide between R5 5500+RX6400 -or- sell 5500 and buy R7 5700G (about $170 used)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5500 - reuse
MB: Asrock A520M-ITX/AC - $113
GPU: LP Radeon RX6400 - $154 new, $125 used
RAM: Team 8GBx2 DDR4 3200 - reuse
STORAGE: Samsung 870 SATA SSD - reuse
PSU: Fractal Design ION SFX 500W
CASE: Fractal Node 202 / Silverstone Sugo or Milo? undecided

2. Mini PC (some ideas)
GMKtec Ryzen 7 7735HS - $538
Beelink SER 5 MAX Ryzen 7 5800H - $398 (almost similar prices for 6600H)

TV Area
Blue box area - 45cm length, 27cm height and width of 30 cm
Orange box area - 10cm width, 34cm depth, height no restriction imo

Thank you in advance!

CeleryGod

Caliper Novice
Jul 8, 2023
I'd think on plan 1 the 5500 would be perfectly adequate for the 6400, and probably a better option than getting a 5700G. Depending on your budget, that'd be a capable system for the price since you can reuse some of your parts.

Reactions: rfarmer

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
I had serious issues with my last Rii keyboard, but that was 2 years ago. I haven't bought one since. Logitech is better imo.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
If you want it to be upgradeable and look kinda nice, go with a small ish console/htpc case. This will also probably have the least thermal/noise issue but also be the most expensive.

If you don't care about the upgradeable part or looks just get minisforum hx80/90/99g or similar (Mini pc with Mobile dgpu) which will likely get 60fps++ at 1080p with good settings guaranteed and will even push 4k res on older games, and playing at 4K is really nice. Generally these are ok just questionable QC and possibly run a little hot. 5700g is OK, but not every title will even run at 1080p 30fps with medium settings, and forget 4k. This thing will make your eyes bleed on that TV. Ryzen 7000 series (mobile chip) is likely to get 30fps with medium in almost everything but not 60fps, also forget 4k and will be obsolete pretty soon.

You need about 3-4k timespy score to guarantee 1080p 60fps at decent settings including modern games. The APUs aren't quite there yet so have to use lower quality settings or be kinda picky about the titles you play.

Edit: Since you are re-using parts and only seem to need gpu + psu + case, that could also work pretty well. RX6400 isn't a great value but would get the job done for 1080p. But if you step up to ITX 3060ti like evga 3060ti xc, its almost 3x as powerful but only a little over 2x as expensive. ~$270 on ebay. It should fit in Node 202 & you'll be futureproofed for 1080p60 High Settings for a good while + older titles playable at 4k.

Last edited:

Morbo

Case Bender
New User
Jun 21, 2020
Agree with msystem. Doesn't sound like you need to build a sff. especially based on games you listed. Sounds like minisforum hx99g is way to go for you. top of line model with ryzen9 and 64gb ram and 1tbssd is just under $1000.

Also in consideration is form factor. Even the tiniest sff case that will fit discrete gpu will still be quite big for avg tv stand/media consol, unless you go for a pizza box case like fractal ridge. But then you're going to be spending considerably more on parts than a minisforum hx99g. Where as the hx99g will be only slightly bigger than your avg cable box if you use it in horizontal position.

I bought a hx90g last yr for my parent's living room/streaming box. And i occasionally use it when my nephew and i both visit them and we use it to play a lot of coop games.

Have the minisforum hx90g hooked up to their 55" hisense 4k tv. Win 11 desktop at 4kx60hz resolution, but i run the games themselves at 1080px60, and let the tv upscale.

The HXg series have discrete gpu, and its in tiny package and very good cooling, i haven't seen it go beyond ~70c and fan stays very quiet even under heavy load. Especially if you're playing older AAA games or console ports, it will do 60fps at 1080 with most of graphics on high at 1080p just fine. Me and nephew have played mostly co-op xobx ports when we visit my parent's house, games like super mega baseball3, or side scroller console ports and its rock solid at 60fps.

I would recommend wireless xbox controller for the games/steam, paired with wireless keyboard/mouse combo. like one of those logitech keyboards with touchpad built in. I'm using adesso wireless keyboard from amazon that has built in trackball and scroll wheel. Especially if you want to play rpg/civ type games, you need proper keyboard and mouse. I went with adesso vs logitech because of the track ball vs the so-so touchpad on the logitech (have logitech touchpad keyboard on my own home's living room pc and the touchpad response is meh. okay for browsing but not good enough for games like civ/rpg where you need that fine mouse control.)

I would not recommend those tiny rii wireless bluetooth mini remotes. i went through 2 different ones and they all suck. sometimes you get no keypresses, sometimes one press becomes 15 presses. the bluetooth connections suck ass, and only viable if you are like 2 feet away from pc. Some people have had no issues, and if you read amazon reviews it's very hit and miss. but i couldn't get it just work reliably out of box with hx90g in bluetooth or 2.4ghz mode. Maybe it's because of the small form factor and the wifi/bluetooth in the hx90g, and lack of wireless/bluetooth antenna like you'd get on a proper mobo, but it was frustrating as hell. i bought the adesso keyboard and since then i have no issues from 15 feet away in my parent's living room.

infernuz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 8, 2023
Thank you very much everyone for your inputs!

@mysystems
After searching, I rounded up my case search to FD Node 202 and Silverstone Sugo 13, the latter being cheaper. Both should be okay right and it will be on design preference? These 2 will fit perfectly on the limited space of our TV stand.

As for the GPU, I might re-purpose my current RX 6600 too since I plan to upgrade my main desktop to 6750XT. I think by this, I already know the expected performance since majority came from my current desktop unit and it's gonna be build SFF or buy a ready-to-use minipc.

@Morbo
I like the specs and design of the HX99G but unfortunately it is crazy expensive in Japan now and way over my budget ($1,100). As for the controller, it seems its the wireless xbox controller for me. The reason for the build plan is the readily available parts that I have at the same time curious if that is achievable with those mini pcs.

Reactions: Morbo