SFF.Network Computex 2017 FlexATX roundup

FlexATX has grown in popularity for shrinking down SFF builds beyond what even SFX will allow, and there are several cases in development in the forum that make use of these server form factor power supplies. So here at Computex 2017 I made sure to scout out all the big (and some not so big) FlexATX manufacturers to see if they had any cool new products that had potential.

Read more here.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Super glad you did this roundup. I've been lamenting the lack of seemingly decent Flex ATX PSU options while working on my case ideas.

Also, thanks for going back and finding out a bit more about that one with the modular connector. I know its gonna be a while but I've been hoping for a fully modular (dare I say, black colored) FlexATX PSU for a while.

Very interested in that last Zippy unit you talked about esp. since you mentioned they can do custom harnesses fairly easily for it :)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Duh, forgot to add SilverStone. Fixed.

since you mentioned they can do custom harnesses fairly easily for it

I'm not sure if it applies to quantity 1 orders, but Zippy said harness modifications (length and connectors) are free, as long as it isn't something crazy enough to require re-engineering. Lead time for customizations is 4 weeks.

Plus they send a shipping container to their California warehouse once a week so you can get free shipping to California if you're will to wait 4-5 weeks. Then you can just pay for courier shipping from there.

Last edited:

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I'm not sure if it applies to quantity 1 orders, but Zippy said harness modifications (length and connectors) are free, as long as it isn't something crazy enough to require re-engineering. Lead time for customizations is 4 weeks.

Plus they send a shipping container to their California warehouse once a week so you can get free shipping to California if you're will to wait 4-5 weeks. Then you can just pay for courier shipping from there.
This is great news :)

This means I can probably go back to my original plan of a smaller FlexATX/1U PSU in my case I'm working on and save some space :thumb:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Fair warning, even back when they made consumer ATX power supplies Zippy had a reputation for noisy (but well performing) units.

And normal FlexATX customers don't care about noise so I imagine they're pretty loud.

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Fair warning, even back when they made consumer ATX power supplies Zippy had a reputation for noisy (but well performing) units.

And normal FlexATX customers don't care about noise so I imagine they're pretty loud.
Ah, I was not aware. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Really all of these should be considered loud until proven otherwise. But that's why I noted fan thickness, so people know what options are available for fan swaps.

Reactions: royalba94

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's getting there, almost every FlexATX provider I talked to was confused about why a non-industrial/enterprise customer was interested in the form factor. Especially when they realized I was press and not looking to place an order.

But I explained to many of them that some people are interested in FlexATX for their small personal gaming computers, and some of them could see the potential.