SFF.Network SFX Computex 2017 roundup

As promised here is the SFX power supply Computex 2017 roundup. While not as extensive as the SFX-L roundup and they’re mostly budget units, more competition and options in this space is always very welcome.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SilverStone is avoiding the issue entirely by not having semi-fanless on the SX500-G/SX650-G, but I'd be curious how well it works on the High Power version.

Because until (if they even do it) Corsair implements a better controller in the SF600 there still isn't a SFX unit I'm completely happy with due to noise.

Reactions: Soul_Est

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, based on my SF600 experience on both Define Nano S, Node 202 or Cerberus-X, SF600 is remaining quiet as long as its ambiant air is not warm.
SF600 fan controller is mainly based on temperature.

For example, in my cerberus-X (with front 140mm fan to push hot air coming from gpu to back), while using GTX 1070 OC + Ryzen (a load of 290W on the wall), SF600 remains fanless for at least a couple of minutes...and even when fan starts spinning, it was not audible (at least fan noise was covered by others fan of Cerberus-x). When gpu load is cut, SF600 fan is still spinning, but still not audible.

However, on a similar load, in Cerberus-X, while having only fan at bottom to push hot air on top of case (so towards SF600), SF600 starts spinning just after a couple of seconds and became quickly pretty noisy (exceeding others fans noise)...even worse, after gpu load is cut, SF600 remained very noisy for 10-15 minutes, time to cool down.

Issue with this SF600 fan controller based on temperature is mainly due to SFF case are often hot/warm inside..:D

ps : well bigger cases could be also warm inside if user is not looking carefully at airflow (opened shroud gpu, AIO pushing their hot air inside case, etc...:))