(COMPLETE) SFF Inception: NFC Skyreach 4 MINI Brickless Build Log

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm super interested in your findings on noise levels with the black ridge, I'm a stickler for noise and was considering a blackridge for my k39. Turbulence would make it a no go though.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I'm super interested in your findings on noise levels with the black ridge, I'm a stickler for noise and was considering a blackridge for my k39. Turbulence would make it a no go though.

At idle it's dead silent. When it ramps up the turbulence is noticeable. I plan to run benchmarks and change the fan orientation, then compare it to the Noctua NH-L9i. I could run the tests in the Raijintek case, but I'd rather wait til I get the S4M in July. Then again, I could get bored enough to just do it in both cases.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Solid. Idk matters more to me that load, but load is still pretty important. A system that with at load is way more impressive than one is only quiet at idle.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Back into the fray! My move across county is over.

I've had a lot of time to think about the build and new parts have been ordered and delivered. I felt like it would be a disservice to upgrade the PC without giving my monitor a little love. I found the perfect monitor stand to compliment the Deus Ex theme. I plan to paint a few parts gold, and replace the "Gaems" logo with something more inline with the theme. Quick setup for now and of course cable management will be better.

I added a grip and a few extras to go along with the standard included accessories. A red dot sight for looks, a handle grip for the headset rest, and a tactical flashlight for ambiance.

I want to add some character to the case so I'm going to make the armor plates in the picture out of Fimo clay, then sand them down and paint them gold. Threaded inserts with spacing will allow them to cover the side panels of the case without impeding air flow, and they will be easier to attach using screws. I went with clay so that the armor pieces would have a battle worn look.

I used the pencils to maintain thickness while using the rolling pin, but they were too thick. I swapped them out with a USB cable.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Started the day off by sanding the armor pieces then painting them. Pics to follow. I also decided on the Anne Pro 2 mechanical keyboard with Cherry Brown switches. It's a pretty nice wireless 60% keyboard with RGB that will fit well inside the travel case with the S4M.

I received the HDPlex 400W combo last week. It's amazing how small and well made it is.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Woke up early and got busy. I wanted to make a custom stand for the S4M that would allow it to sit vertically on my desk, and since I have an adjustable height desk I wanted to ensure that it wouldn't topple over. My initial thought was to make a foot, but then I saw this and my imagination took over.

This monitor arm looks like a bionic arm, and I have a few modification ideas that will bring it into the Deus Ex theme. It can support up to a 27" monitor weighing 20-30 lbs, so it shouldn't have a problem holding the S4M. I love the Nanoblade weapon in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and this will allow me to bring it into the build.

After a quick trip to Home Depot for a 1.5" wide piece of aluminum an hardware to make the Nanoblade, and about 30 mins of sanding, it's ready for paint.

The mounting arm has been painted black with gold highlights, and is ready to be reassembled. I plan to add a little carbon fiber wrap and few more gold highlights to make it look more like Adam Jensens' arm from Deus Ex.

The armor plates that I made with Fimo clay are finished. They turned out great and I painted them to have a battle worn look. The pic makes them look really clean, but when up close and personal they have imperfections. I may or may not add a few drops of blood splatter later.

Reactions: Broxin

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019

I did some testing on the Black Ridge CPU coolers' noise and cooling performance in a push and pull configuration. I stressed the CPU for 15 mins across all cores and the results are that a pull configuration is MUCH better for the lowest noise and cooling performance with the Noctua 92mm slim fan. There is a 10C difference, at least in the temporary case that I have everything running in. I would assume that a pull configuration will be best in the S4M as well.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
The S4M release was delayed due to a mistake made by the manufacturer. Hopefully, it will be released within the next few weeks. Another set back for this build, but there is still some work that can be done.

The S4M travel case plates have been completed and installed. It turned out better than I had hoped. This is the Praxis Kit, an in-game item, that the travel case was based upon.

I purchased a quick disconnect VESA adapter for the S4M and the monitor arm that it will be mounted to. This will give me the ability to quickly disconnect the S4M from the arm when transporting it in the travel case. The S4M exterior will be black, so I painted the adapter gold.

I never was completely happy with the look of the GPU Noctua fans mod and the shroud that I made, so I'm going to do something else. I'm going to use the original Zotac shroud and paint it, and use the Noctua fans without the fan housings.

More to come soon...

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
What sort of modding do you need to do to make the Alpenföhn cooler fit?

So far, I've come up with three options;

1. Raise case panel by drilling and tapping new mounting holes.
2. Lower motherboard mount standoffs by cutting them.
3. Cut out case panel to expose the top of the heatsink.

I haven't decided which method I'm going to use for this build.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
#3 is my favorite. :D

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: The S4M finally arrived, but at the worst time. I flew to Atlanta for the weekend and it was delivered a day later in Denver. I'll be on the final completion leg starting Monday.

In the meantime, I added some leftover carbon fiber vinyl wrap to the new monitor stand base plate. The Gaems logo was too much.

I primed the original Zotac 1080Ti fan shroud in preparation for painting. I also primed a piece of plastic that will be used to add the effect of the Deus Ex Titan Armor to the power button.

Last edited: