News ClockTuner for Ryzen (by 1usmus)

Yuri Bubliy (1usmus), best known for his DRAM calculator for Ryzen, has announced a new utility which should be available in September.

ClockTuner for Ryzen (CTR) automatically tests and tunes each CCX of Ryzen 3000 series CPUs and should result in an undervolted CPU generating less heat and using less power, while running a bit faster than stock. That looks like the perfect combo for SFF builds.

It uses Cinebench R20 to determine performance gains and Prime95 for stress testing.

This video from Linus Tech Tips does a good job of explaining what's involved to set it up and run it. Some BIOS settings need to be changed, some software (outside of the CTR utility) needs to be installed, and the testing could take some time. However, it's going to be a lot quicker than trying to achieve the same results manually.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting, I've never dabbled at CCX level tweaking. Currently running my 3900X at 4.4GHz all core at 1.275V. It is not benchmark stable (R20, P95) but has 0 issues during my normal usage for the past 2 months. If this tool comes out with better settings then I'll go for it for sure ?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
ok, just because I saw some comments on, is this something that is safe to use? not in terms of clock performance but in terms of data security

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
ok, just because I saw some comments on, is this something that is safe to use? not in terms of clock performance but in terms of data security

This utility should be fairly safe to use.

Unlike most overclocking that involves increasing voltage, power consumption, and heat, this seems to be focused more on undervolting to reduce power consumption and heat while maintaining stock performance, or increasing it slightly.

It also looks like there should be a fair number of setting that can be tweaked to obtain performance in line with your particular needs.

The major benefit of using this is the time it saves in testing settings for stability.

Results are supposed to be better with higher core count CPUs, but I’ll still be trying it out with my Ryzen 5 3600.

Reactions: owliwar

IISNAFUII

Chassis Packer
Apr 13, 2020
For sure, looks like a massive time saving tool. From what I've seen, for all intents and purposes it just does the same stuff we would have to do manually in tweaking and testing and to have a "one click, 90% good enough" option definitely ticks my boxes.

I think he's looking at releasing it in Septemeber and I can only imagine the tool gets better as he gets more data.

Reactions: owliwar

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
Anyone have this yet? Even a pre-release version? I'm curious if this tool can do a better job then I did manually tweaking my settings. Was hoping "September" meant early in the month so I could mess with it on my day off tomorrow :/

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Anyone have this yes? Even a pre-release version? I'm curious if this tool can do a better job then I did manually tweaking my settings. Was hoping "September" meant early in the month so I could mess with it on my day off tomorrow :/

The best place to check for updates for this is to follow the authors Twitter. This is the latest news:

Reactions: thelaughingman

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2019
After all the setup and testing it turns out I can get 50MHz more on CCX2 over CCX1 instead of running an All-Core OC.

My OC was 4.2 All-Core @ 1.19V and medium LLC

CTR OC - 4.2 CCX1 and 4.25 CCX2 @ 1.175 and Turbo LLC.

For fun I tried a stable OC that wouldn't terminate the process by spiking above 95C.

CTR max OC - 4250 CCX1 and 4300 CCX2 @ 1.225 Turbo LLC

CTR kept failing at reference voltages above 1.230V and the results at 1.230 was the same as 1.225 but the Cinebench score was a bit higher.

It took me two weeks to manually dial in my All-Core OC and this tool gave me about the same results. The big thing here is it took me two weeks, the tool found the sweet spot in an evening AND did it per CCX for that little extra.

EDIT: CTR's OCs failed Prime95 when I tried to validate after about ten minutes. So it will get you in the ballpark but it still requires validation.

EDIT 2: Just tried the process again with CTR 1.0 Beta 2 with almost identical results. Also forgot to mention I am running a 3600. According to CTR it is a "golden" chip. I assume Platinum is the best?

Last edited: