Completed Circle Pro - Solid Alu CNCed mini-itx case - 240mm liquid cooling

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
Can anyone be specific about what brand/make of PSU people would prefer? We are working on an alternative FE card kit and I want to make sure we're making it for the right PSU model(s).

Excellent!
TBH, by 'alternative PSU' I was thinking a DC-DC arrangement. If we can fit a full-length, dual-slot card and SFX PSU, all the better.

As for specific models, the Corsair SF600 and SF750 are good benchmarks; both offer plenty of headroom.

CircleTect

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Circle Studio
May 1, 2017
circlestudio.co
That
TBH, by 'alternative PSU' I was thinking a DC-DC arrangement.

That's what I meant - the case already supports SFX, and it will be impossible to fit SFX and an FE card. I'm asking for people's opinions on what specific models of DC-DC / HDPlex style power supplies people would like to see supported.

Bonusround

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 26, 2018
That's what I meant - the case already supports SFX, and it will be impossible to fit SFX and an FE card. I'm asking for people's opinions on what specific models of DC-DC / HDPlex style power supplies people would like to see supported.

Well, the HDPlex 400 is the most powerful of their DC PSUs. I can imagine it fitting in the leftmost (motherboard-side) portion of the PSU area. Is the right side of the shroud still a separate piece? Removing it would clear the way for a longer GPU. The HDPlex is a good baseline for an off-the-shelf option.

The custom-built G-Unique DC-DC PSUs are even more space-efficient. For reference, see this impressive A4 build. Ensuring that G-Unique's external power socket works well (and looks good) with the Circle Pro would be excellent, as some have encountered challenges.

How do you expect to provide clearance for GPU power cabling?

Reactions: DmanX

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
will there be a future revision to the case that allows 25mm thick fans at the bottom? It would be lovely to have a white version and be able to fit the new corsair ll120 white rgb fans at the bottom. The idea of slim fans are great, im just one in a bunch that would like to use standard size 120 mm fans at the bottom.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
Can anyone be specific about what brand/make of PSU people would prefer? We are working on an alternative FE card kit and I want to make sure we're making it for the right PSU model(s).

FlexATX PSU’s from Silverstone or the like. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/silverstone-releases-first-flex-atx-psu,36879.html

FlexATX hasn’t caught on quite as much but it’s a standard form factor used for rackmounted servers so it’s relatively easy to get your hands on...

tm07x

What's an ITX?
Mar 16, 2019
Probably two or three times a week I see people post their planned builds on reddit or elsewhere, and they've got one or more parts that obviously (to me) aren't going to fit in the case.

No matter how good (or bad) the product is, in the end you're gonna need to have some sort of marketing behind the product. What you describe as a threat (novice builders) is undeniably an opportunity for those who are willing to assist those customers.

If the community made an online tool where people were shown what parts were actually compatible with X computercase then a lot of the hassles you describe would be solved. Maybe not the building itself, but at least the parts/compatibility.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
No matter how good (or bad) the product is, in the end you're gonna need to have some sort of marketing behind the product. What you describe as a threat (novice builders) is undeniably an opportunity for those who are willing to assist those customers.

If the community made an online tool where people were shown what parts were actually compatible with X computercase then a lot of the hassles you describe would be solved. Maybe not the building itself, but at least the parts/compatibility.

It may be possible to build a large repository of parts compatible with each case. I know that there is already such a list for the Circle Pro Here:

WINGZERO619

Case Bender
New User
Mar 24, 2019
Hi all. I wanted to contribute to this thread with my current build. I originally had a Noctua NH-L9i CPU air cooler, but was unhappy with the CPU thermals while video rendering. I was averaging 89C while video rendering with the NH-L9i. Once I swapped out the Noctua for the Corsair H100i, I saw an immediate cooling performance between 24C-30C. I was pleased with the new results and happy to report that sound at full load is pretty much whisper quiet. All four fans are connected via Corsair Link (the images only show two, but currently all four are connected to date) which is connected to the CPU fan header on the MOBO. Hope this helps anyone thinking about building in this case using the below components. Enjoy!

Corsair H100i
two Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM slim 120mm fans (bottom intake)
two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans (top exhaust)
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming MOBO
Intel Core i7-8700K
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini
Corsair SF450 PSU
WD Black NVME M.2 250GB boot drive
WD Black NVME M.2 500GB data mart

First version with the Noctua NH-L9i setup

Current version with the Corsair H100i

Below is a screen shot of my PC under full load using this case:

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
@WINGZERO619 beautiful work! that just overall looks so good. I'm still pretty bent on Air Cooling my build, so it's good to see that you had somewhat high, but overall pretty workable temperatures. While 89C is not ideal, I think it'd be even better if I used something like a Cryorig C7 copper, and put Kryonaut on the CPU and GPU. :)

The perfect fit between your RAM and that L-shaped cable going into the AIO is oddly satisfying :)

Reactions: Daniel.f2277

WINGZERO619

Case Bender
New User
Mar 24, 2019
@WINGZERO619 beautiful work! that just overall looks so good. I'm still pretty bent on Air Cooling my build, so it's good to see that you had somewhat high, but overall pretty workable temperatures. While 89C is not ideal, I think it'd be even better if I used something like a Cryorig C7 copper, and put Kryonaut on the CPU and GPU. :)

The perfect fit between your RAM and that L-shaped cable going into the AIO is oddly satisfying :)

Yes, the 89C temps at full load were not ideal, but the CPU was able to handle my workload without breaking a sweat. Although, to be fair about the Noctua NH-L9i barely keeping my CPU cool at 89C, Noctua does state that this particular air cooler is not sufficient enough to cool it down properly, " Intel LGA 1151 Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake
cooling performance not sufficient". Also, the 89C degrees could have been prevented if I had added more thermal paste. When I removed the air cooler, I saw that there wasn't enough thermal paste applied to the CPU. When I installed the water pump, I used the paddle applicator that came with the Antec Formula 7 thermal paste. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm happy with the water cooling performance.
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I was curious about how much warm/hot air my case is exhausting while at idle and full load. Below is an image of two temps. The left temp is at idle and the right is at full load while video rendering. I thought it was interesting to see that there was only a 4F degree difference between the two loads.

thenisse

Chassis Packer
Jan 25, 2019
Well, the HDPlex 400 is the most powerful of their DC PSUs. I can imagine it fitting in the leftmost (motherboard-side) portion of the PSU area. Is the right side of the shroud still a separate piece? Removing it would clear the way for a longer GPU. The HDPlex is a good baseline for an off-the-shelf option.

The custom-built G-Unique DC-DC PSUs are even more space-efficient. For reference, see this impressive A4 build. Ensuring that G-Unique's external power socket works well (and looks good) with the Circle Pro would be excellent, as some have encountered challenges.

How do you expect to provide clearance for GPU power cabling?

I just built mine with the HDPlex 400 and the dc-atx part actually fits snug right under the gpu, if you remove the hard drive bays. I will post about it soon :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
So here is my final build.
I was mostly waiting on the HDPlex 400 AC-DC brick. Added in the water and voila!
(i7 6700k gtx 1070)
Temps on load are around 48-52c.
It's really hard to come up with titles for imgur posts.
Awesome!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
So here is my final build.
I was mostly waiting on the HDPlex 400 AC-DC brick. Added in the water and voila!
(i7 6700k gtx 1070)
Temps on load are around 48-52c.
It's really hard to come up with titles for imgur posts.

Very nice. What is the fan on the GPU side, VRM cooling?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
I just built mine with the HDPlex 400 and the dc-atx part actually fits snug right under the gpu, if you remove the hard drive bays. I will post about it soon :)

Surprised and delighted you managed to fit an entire pump and res combo and hard tubing in there! great work! Also, is the GPU a 1070 mini ITX?

Last edited:

boof

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2019
Was there a decision about the alternative PSU support, and possibly a timeline?

Thinking about making this my first SFF build and trying to decide if I should wait it out or just jump on one of the upcoming batches and attempt a mod

Reactions: Bonusround

mini-pc

Efficiency Noob
Apr 15, 2019
Just a little teaser of my work in progress build:

Still to come:
- upgrade to Ryzen 3000 (12 or 16 core depending on what ends up being released)
- custom waterloop for said CPU