Power Supply Choosing Pico-PSU for 2200GE build

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
I have a 2200GE in transit which will go into an Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/ac with 32GB of memory, one M.2 SSD and one 2.5 SSD.
I am trying to decide which Mini-Box Pico PSU kit to order:

1 -PicoPSU-80 + 60W Adapter Power Kit ($36)
2- picoPSU-90 + 100W Adapter Power Kit ($50)
3- picoPSU-120 + 120W Adapter Power Kit ($65)

I do not understand why do they sell the first kit, when they do have an 84W AC-DC brick. I am afraid #1 60W on the AC side will be too tight.
That leaves 2 and 3. Will #2 be enough? Is it worth it going for #3?

What do you think? I will appreciate your opinions.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
The 2nd will probably be overkill but can't go wrong with 3. I have a 160XT with a 180W for 2400G and don't think I've gone more than half to the 160's limit in Uningine benchmark. The most I use is when the CPU has to render/decode stuff like HEVC or VP9 vids(now have GPU acceleration working).

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
A while back I also went with the 160xt /192w brick. The brick is a bit large but you get the option of a 1050ti or similar with a 65w cpu should you decide to do so. Overkill for your current system but a good investment long term.

Currently the 160xt is running in conjunction with the 200w Meanwell kit from JHack and works great. Again gave me options to go with or without a brick it turns out. Downside is of course cost.

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Thank you for the answers. I have a question about the AC-DC adapters jacks.

- Mini-Box advertises them as 5mm x 2.5mm. Are they oversimplifying and they are really 5.5mm x 2.5mm ? I always thought the two normal options were 5.5x2.1 and 5.5x2.5.
- On the din 4-pin versions, are they using 2 pins for ground and two for 12V or are they reserving pins for other voltage combinations (I have seen many adaperts listed as 12V/5V)

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thank you for the answers. I have a question about the AC-DC adapters jacks.

- Mini-Box advertises them as 5mm x 2.5mm. Are they oversimplifying and they are really 5.5mm x 2.5mm ? I always thought the two normal options were 5.5x2.1 and 5.5x2.5.
- On the din 4-pin versions, are they using 2 pins for ground and two for 12V or are they reserving pins for other voltage combinations (I have seen many adaperts listed as 12V/5V)

Yeah, they're all the same, used to be even the192W they carry was a 5.5/2.5, just a typo in that case I think. The 4-pin mini-din is 2 wires each side, the 5.5mm barrel connectors are rated 10A so difficult to find over 120W adapters now. Except this store on ebay in link below, think it's connected to mini-box. Got the 180W/160XT combo works great 12V is dead on. Have bought a 120W wide input from there in the past and 1 other 160XT. Changed my DCDCs to all work on 12V but one either way.

http://www.ebaystores.com/short-circuitdotcom

Last edited:

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, they're all the same, used to be even the192W they carry was a 5.5/2.5, just a typo in that case I think. The 4-pin mini-din is 2 wires each side, the 5.5mm barrel connectors are rated 10A so difficult to find over 120W adapters now. Except this store on ebay in link below, think it's connected to mini-box. Got the 180W/160XT combo works great 12V is dead on. Have bought a 120W wide input from there in the past and 1 other 160XT. Changed my DCDCs to all work on 12V but one either way.

http://www.ebaystores.com/short-circuitdotcom
Thanks. One more question. Do the higher power picoPSUs, 150XT... , come with both barrel and 4-pin chassis terminations ? All the pictures on the Mini-Box site seem to have barrels. I have seen mention of a "4pin miniDin to miniFIT-JR adapter" but not "5.5 2.5 barrel to miniFIT-JR adapter".
(I am exploring the possibility of buying AC adapter from different source).

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks. One more question. Do the higher power picoPSUs, 150XT... , come with both barrel and 4-pin chassis terminations ? All the pictures on the Mini-Box site seem to have barrels. I have seen mention of a "4pin miniDin to miniFIT-JR adapter" but not "5.5 2.5 barrel to miniFIT-JR adapter".

I think any bricks over 120W on Minibox are now 4-pin and come with the 4-pin to mini-fit. I believe the picoPSUs still do come with mini-Fit to barrel adapter, but I'd email them. I've been using the ebay guy because the pics and description have been accurate.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019

I think any bricks over 120W on Minibox are now 4-pin and come with the 4-pin to mini-fit. I believe the picoPSUs still do come with mini-Fit to barrel adapter, but I'd email them. I've been using the ebay guy because the pics and description have been accurate.

I purchased a 150-XT directly from Mini-Box a few months ago, and it came with both the 4-pin and the barrel adapter.