Log CHONK: Dual NHD15 in 16L

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 18, 2020
Allow me to present: Two NHD15 doing....things
Assembled pictures first:
This project took heavy inspiration from @neyurt Link to his project

I first posted this project almost a year ago (to reddit). I finally finished it around June.

Build process photos if you're interested.
hardware:
Ryzen 3600
GTX 1080
Gigabyte X570i
Corsair SF600

Temps:
TestRyzen 5 3600GTX 1080Fan Speed
OCCT Power Test85571300
CB2074321000
Heaven79561000
CB20+Heaven80591300

GPU temps are amazing across the board. CPU temps, not so much. There's a simple reason for this: Overlapped fins. Noctua obviously designed the king of air coolers with a certain fin spacing for a reason. Shoving a whole additional set of fins inside the space intended for one set is obviously not great for airflow. Also, as the build settled, the fins started crossing with a |\| pattern instead of a ||| pattern. (if my ASCII art makes sense). I remember getting much better temps when I first assembled it, which would support this theory, as shown in this reddit post. The first tower on the 1080 got fresh air, which is why it stayed so frosty. All that being said, during normal loads temps are much more reasonable.

Neyurt had success with Silverstone Dual Tower coolers where the fin stacks were still overlapped, but the individual fins were shallow enough to not interfere. If I were going to improve my design, I would use single tower coolers. Scythe, Thermalright, Noctua all make excellent ones in varying levels of chonkiness. Instead, I've pre-ordered a couple of Ice Giant Thermosiphons AKA an unholy combination of tower cooler with 240 radiator. Until those arrive, I'm still rocking CHONK as my main rig, and I'm beta testing Winter One. I'll have my review of that written up at some point, maybe even before the Kickstarter drops!

Reactions: FreshGnar and namo

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Have you tried reversing the fans and seeing if that changes things? Also wondering if you offset the PSU more and put it on its side to free up the top fan if that would help as well (the case would be a little taller, but the resulting temps may be worth it)