Cooling Chinese all-copper 115x heatsinks?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey! So, I was lurking around here and saw @sergiiua using a 80mmx80mm(x20mm) copper heatsink on a video card so they could squeeze it into a really tiny case. (Here)

I decided to poke around on aliexpress a bit and found this cooler, which seemed pretty interesting. I stumbled across this cooler, and it actually seemed fitted for desktop CPUs. (There were a few ones for 2011 that mention being 115x but I don't really trust that.) So I poked around on Amazon and stumbled across this.

It might not be the exact same part, but you can buy it from other sellers with free (slow, from-China) shipping. It appears to be a 25mm tall solid-copper heatsink with a mounting bracket for 80mmx80mm fans. There's thin plastic adapters that can be bought that allow you to mount larger fans to those sorts of mounting points and we're all familiar with good fans that are a lot shorter than the bundled 42mm thick fan.

Right now isn't a good time for me to be spending money on even more projects, but I thought these were some interesting finds similar to the LP53 that has been getting some limelight. Maybe someone else has the time to look into one or both of them?

Reactions: sergiiua

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I can take a look at the first one. Only one shows up on a search on taobao but if it's available I can see how quickly I can get it.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.21.2MMN6D&id=44994409401&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.2MMN6D&id=13761444272&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

Found both of these, the 2nd I can probably get before this weekend since it is local. However, they're saying 2U coolers not 1.5U. Height is same as the LP53 though (52mm). What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc and Josh | NFC

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Well, the LP53 has heat pipes and these dont. I don't know how much that matters in an all-copper construction. (Granted the heat pipes probably have some sort of fluid or foam in them...)

If it's the same dimensions as the LP53, the difference would be the heat pipes versus the ease of mounting different fans onto this one... I think the LP53 might win out.

If we could find one shorter than the LP53, that might be worth the lower performance for the decreased height?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
These are also 70mm fans I noticed, I will look around for some others but it seems not many 1.5U CPU coolers on Taobao, only 1U blower fans and some 2U ones.

Reactions: zovc

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Well, the LP53 has heat pipes and these dont. I don't know how much that matters in an all-copper construction. (Granted the heat pipes probably have some sort of fluid or foam in them...)

If it's the same dimensions as the LP53, the difference would be the heat pipes versus the ease of mounting different fans onto this one... I think the LP53 might win out.

If we could find one shorter than the LP53, that might be worth the lower performance for the decreased height?

Well there is the itx30 which is essentially a shorter LP53, no? Might be interesting to see what it could do with a better fan on it.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Ooh!

and is approved to 100 watt TDP

Its fan mounting mechanism looks easier to adapt to other fans than the LP53. What kind of wire do they make those clips out of?

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Ooh!

Its fan mounting mechanism looks easier to adapt to other fans than the LP53. What kind of wire do they make those clips out of?

No idea :/. sorry. Could (maybe?) make your own mounting wires for a larger fan with pipe cleaners if you remove the fuzz?

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016

I would definitely recommend going for a cooler with heat pipes! I once tested a Dynatron K129 (27mm hight) + Noctua NF-A9x14 against a LP53 and the difference was like night and day. (Sadly I did not documented that)

Reactions: zovc and Ceros_X

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
ZOVC, if you do grab an ITX30 and try a different fan, please let us know what you think! It's a pretty expensive little cooler (at least to get one shipped to Canada). Too expensive for me to consider with it's current benchmarks. If it was shown to be competitive with the L9i using a different fan, and at a shorter height I might consider it though.