Chimera Industries - Cerberus - Build M109A6 v1

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
So the H100i v2 has some pretty tough tubing to deal with. The H100i v1 would do much better. I tried to orient the pump and rad in several configs but the hoses put more pressure on the back of the ATX PSU than I was comfortable with.

Next up I am going to get a SFX to ATX PSU bracket with an SF600 to fit to the back of the case. The hoses should clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

scdudt

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2017
If you still have the 240 AIO installed, What was the thickness of the rad, and how much space is between the rad and the rear of the case (max rad length? Also, how much space is there between the seated retention joints for the side panels (max rad width)? I am trying to determine which 2x240 rads will fit within Cerberus and what configuration (xflow/crossflow vs normal).

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Cerberus is much smaller than the 1080 but it is a Matx case. The Atx version is the Cerberus-X, which is still far smaller than the 1080.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
If you still have the 240 AIO installed, What was the thickness of the rad, and how much space is between the rad and the rear of the case (max rad length? Also, how much space is there between the seated retention joints for the side panels (max rad width)? I am trying to determine which 2x240 rads will fit within Cerberus and what configuration (xflow/crossflow vs normal).
Radiator dimensions: 276mm x 125mm x 30mm

Space from rad to back of case: 275mm

Space between seated retention joints: 150mm

I planned on picking up two low profile rads and fans to mount on the front and bottom of the case.

Reactions: scdudt

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
whats the dimensions? I wonder if its smaller than the Riotoro CR1080 that takes a full ATX

Going by the product page, the CR1080's about 32.65L vs Cerberus-X's 22L. Just going by looks, the CR1080 has a "basement" for the power supply and a 5.2" bay, and one less PCI slot (the one for overthick PCIe cards on the last slot), so it's smaller in terms of side height and width, but the z-depth (or the dimension perpendicular to the motherboard) is much, much longer.

EDIT: also the CR1080's vertical clearance from the motherboard is shorter than the Cerberus, so some super tall GPUs might not fit in it. And the rear fan mount's smaller too.

Last edited:

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Cerberus is much smaller than the 1080 but it is a Matx case. The Atx version is the Cerberus-X, which is still far smaller than the 1080.
Sign me up for a Cerberus-X case if it can fit a full PSU (RM850X)

I travel a lot from Florida to Taiwan / S Korea / Japan / Malaysia. 2-3 times a year. I can be a great torture test.

scdudt

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2017
Radiator dimensions: 276mm x 125mm x 30mm

Space from rad to back of case: 275mm

Space between seated retention joints: 150mm

I planned on picking up two low profile rads and fans to mount on the front and bottom of the case.

Thank you, I was planning on trying to use xflow radiators in order to reduce the tubing runs, but I don't think there will be enough room for 2 hardware labs xflows with fittings (unless the Cerberus w/o SFX psu bracket opens up some more space vertically).
One potential solution I was thinking about for this was mounting the fans in "pull" to allow some rad overlap under the bottom front fan (if needed), and using 1 xflow "http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gtsxflow/240gts-xflow/" and 1 regular "http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gts/240gts/". The xflow in front to move coolant past the front of the GPU without tubing, and the regular (fittings near pcie slots) to save space and route back up through the GPU block.
I also found a short xflow radiator "http://www.performance-pcs.com/magicool-240-g2-x-flow-slim-radiator-black.html#Specifications". No idea about the quality though, Ideally looking to stay with hardware labs but this one saves 20mm and would potentially allow a "straight shot" right into the bottom rad (depending on "pull" fan clearance). This might allow enough room for another hardware labs xflow rad in the bottom.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice build but it should be loud...SF600, sli reference design card, H110i aio..:D
For sli, I prefer Cerberus-x...:D

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Nice build but it should be loud...SF600, sli reference design card, H110i aio..:D
For sli, I prefer Cerberus-x...:D

Running it with a single 1070 reference card and custom fan curve it is surprisingly quiet. Even with the 4770k at 4.4 GHz.

The Cerberus-X is certainly better equipped.

I'm having a ton of fun swapping hardware in the Cerberus. Thanks again @Aibohphobia!

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Over a year later and after much neglect. I will have some sort of update.

To get you caught up. I picked up the prototype chassis spring last year. Due to some family issues, my time table to purchase a house was moved up drastically. I live in the greater Seattle area and with all of the large tech companies, the housing market is a mess.

That being said I bought a house and then removed 2000 sq ft of flooring to put in hardwood.

The siding on the house was falling off so I had to get new siding on the entire house.

A retaining wall in my backyard failed and I needed to move a ton of earth so that I could repair the fence that I share with a neighbor so they could use their gate to their backyard.

And finally I’m in the process of a deck / porch rebuild right.

As luck would have it, I won an i7 8086K from Intel in August and decided after all of the house work, I’ll treat myself a little bit.

Trying to figure out custom cable lengths for a rear mounted SFX PSU.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Is it acorsair sf600 ? Because I ordered custom cables from cable mod and could dig up the lengths I used.

Edit: never mind as we have different motherboards. But I think custom cables really help in this case and are well worth it.

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Is it acorsair sf600 ? Because I ordered custom cables from cable mod and could dig up the lengths I used.

Edit: never mind as we have different motherboards. But I think custom cables really help in this case and are well worth it.
Yea I have the Corsair SF600. I'm sure the the 24 pin connector on the motherboard is located in a similar enough position.

If you have time, please dig them up and let me know! I can try to get an order in before the weekend. I would certainly appreciate it.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
you've commented on my build log here https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/my-cerberus.8517/ a while back but i swapped to an asus z370i since you posted. Use the last pictures i posted so you can see how i routed them and can estimate how they will work for yours. I'm also assuming its still for the 1080 ti reference card which has almost the exact same measurements as my 1080 ti turbo. Also assuming it is in the top slot. MOST IMPORTANTLY these are my opinions so use them as such, and not indisputable fact.

cable - length i'm using - personal opinion on the differences between the 370-i and z370-g

6pin pcie- 175mm ( should be same as yours)

8 pin pcie- 200mm ( should be the same as yours)

8 pin eps/cpu - 200mm (you should actually be a hair closer than me and i was a bit long so you could do a 175mm but this can be tucked behind psu also so you could play it safe)

24pin atx- 200mm ( i actually have a around 2" of slack, but your connector should be 3 inches further away from mine. i think and would bet that 225mm would work but you could choose to play safe at 250.)

These were by cablemod and are far better than any I could make. I did have to contact them about a couple lengths as their configurator couldn't go low enough. But their email team was fast and responsive. I do recommend them.

Edit: I had to route the pcie cables around my tubing so those 2 could actually go probably 25mm lower but thery are a bit tight to plug in the card in my setup at the posted lengths.

Last edited: