Cerberus X Win10 / Mojave Workstation, "Better late than never"

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Moving away from the NFC S4 Mini Classic, finished my build and was really never happy with what I had to do to make that case "work"
I had this Cerberus X just sitting around to be used, so I think now is a good time to move away from NFC.

Have

- Intel i7 8700K
- G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4 2400
- Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
- Corsair SF600 Gold
- Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Win10 OS) (EK M.2 Heat Sink)
- Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Mojave OS) (EK M.2 Heat Sink)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2TB
- Micron 2TB SSD
- Noctua NH-C14S
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX580 8GB Special Edition
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX580 8GB Special Edition
- EK M.2 Heat Sink

Really thought I was going to go AMD but I really needed to build a hackintosh that was stable with Final Cut Pro X. My new travel rig will be a 2018 Mac Mini with RX580 EGPU / 2018 iPad Pro as a monitor.

I had the case powercoated with BMW's Marina Blue and just a Matte Black.

The Z390 boards are coming with integrated IO shields with is awesome. Having ATX in a SFF case is imo the best of both worlds.

The VRM fan is a nice plus as well, another reason I didnt go AMD was because of my ram. Upgrading to DDR4 3200 was a pain for me.

Need to have some brackets made to hold 4 2.5" drives, Went with 2 Noctua 140mm fans and 1 Noctua 92mm fan

Waiting for new parts to arrive.

I have my old S4 Mini Classic and Arch Daemon for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Pretty nice stuff, how loud is the SF750? What’s kept me away from SFX is the noise the older units would make.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Feeling lazy didn’t clean up where I extracted some of the case. This is the slimmest / shortest length SATA there is so loops and loops

Reactions: KSliger

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Pretty much happy where Im at exterior wise.

Ive been able to use regular nuts on the threads to float the panels. Doing this allows more airflow (imo) dust? who cares. you are suppose to be maintaining your rig anyways, no need for filters.

A minor grip, I added another 140mm fan to the bottom of the case. the 2nd 140mm will not allow you to secure all 4 points on the 2nd 140mm fan (only 2) Im using the Noctua rubber stand offs and moved away from the screws. I think the problem is the feet that are on the case. The double 140mm fans on the Noctua NH-C14S is very efficient on moving air out of the case. If I pulled the bottom 140mm from the Noctua NH-C14S Im not sure if that would be a positive or negative

My wireless setup is pretty wonky. I dont intend to use WIFI with this rig so I pulled the OEM m.2 wireless card for a BCM94352ZAE_3 DW1560, this card will allow me to have WIFI / BT for MacOS aka allowing AirDrop.

If I ever did need WIFI for Windows 10 I added a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 for WIFI and a Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/?tag=theminutiae-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
@KSliger is it possible to get a panel that has perforated holes on the whole panel? instead of half?

and a top panel with no holes for the power button / usb ports