Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

kleveland

Efficiency Noob
Mar 6, 2018
Hey all, I ordered and received one of the 4 cases @firewolfy put up for sale and wanted to share my build!

The specs off the top of my head are:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 Ghz
GTX 1080 (pulled from a eGPU box) that is overclocked a bit as well
Corsair SF450 PSU
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 cooler
16gb corsair 3000 mhz
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
some toshiba branded m.2 250gb ssd
crucial mx300 2.5in 500gb ssd

Overall the build was great and wasn't too bad. I didn't want to buy custom cables so the cabling was probably the hardest part but I worked through it with the included zip ties. The GTX 1080 card works great for this case and seems like a perfect fit as well!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey all, I ordered and received one of the 4 cases @firewolfy put up for sale and wanted to share my build!

The specs off the top of my head are:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 Ghz
GTX 1080 (pulled from a eGPU box) that is overclocked a bit as well
Corsair SF450 PSU
Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 cooler
16gb corsair 3000 mhz
Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
some toshiba branded m.2 250gb ssd
crucial mx300 2.5in 500gb ssd

Overall the build was great and wasn't too bad. I didn't want to buy custom cables so the cabling was probably the hardest part but I worked through it with the included zip ties. The GTX 1080 card works great for this case and seems like a perfect fit as well!

Congrats. Such awesome build requires speed & temp benchmark!

And what GTX1080 btw? Is it Gigabyte?

kleveland

Efficiency Noob
Mar 6, 2018
Congrats. Such awesome build requires speed & temp benchmark!

And what GTX1080 btw? Is it Gigabyte?
Yeah it is a gigabyte, it was pulled from one of their eGPUs (their Aorus Gaming Box 1080 version)

As far as speed & temp go, I will post specifics later but they have been better then I expected based on reviews I've seen!

Reactions: ignsvn

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
Yeah it is a gigabyte, it was pulled from one of their eGPUs (their Aorus Gaming Box 1080 version)

As far as speed & temp go, I will post specifics later but they have been better then I expected based on reviews I've seen!

Yes please post your temp results, I have been curious how the Noctua NH-L9X65 performs in the MI-6.

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
If you guys haven't seen Corsair is upgrading the SF series to Platinum and including their sleeved cable set and ATX to SFX bracket. Link.

Reactions: Jello

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Any updates on 2nd batch of cases?

Good question. I'm waiting on quotes for the second batch, so when I get those I'll be able to start defining the timeline. Right now I'm thinking that ordering will be in July sometime, with fab about 2 mos, then assembly and shipping within a month after that.

Sorry to keep you hanging on this. I'm hoping to give a full update within a couple of weeks regarding features, timing and cost.

PS, I'm working the add-on loft design details, so I'll have that in the update as well.

Fire!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Good question. I'm waiting on quotes for the second batch, so when I get those I'll be able to start defining the timeline. Right now I'm thinking that ordering will be in July sometime, with fab about 2 mos, then assembly and shipping within a month after that.

Sorry to keep you hanging on this. I'm hoping to give a full update within a couple of weeks regarding features, timing and cost.

PS, I'm working the add-on loft design details, so I'll have that in the update as well.

Fire!

@firewolfy

Been almost three weeks now, any new updates on the MI-6...?

Very curious on any more reports of those using the Noctua NH-L12S; I know TekEverything got it working (but he also said it was slightly bent at the heat pipes), just curious for other feedback on this heat sink in the MI-6 chassis...

Also wanting more info on the 'Loft'...!

Last edited:

Lollipop

Efficiency Noob
Apr 21, 2018
Here is an update I get from the emai;

June 24, 2018

Hi,

The MI-6 Second Edition (SE) has been finalized, and we are getting close to kicking off the second production run. Here is the latest on what is going on.

Costing Finalized for Batch 2. Based on a 100+ case run, new quotes, and incorporating the changes and improvements, I have been able to get the price down:

• SE Minimalist Case price will be $185 (was $210 in batch 1)
  • SE Case with Front I/O price will be $199 (was $235 in batch 1)
I was working for more reduction, but the price of aluminum is rising and that is affecting costs.

The tentative target is July 8 to start accepting official orders with payment.

Pre-Ordering. Pre-ordering is available on the webpage. I set up pre-ordering for two purposes:

1. A way for you to make sure you will get a case. When ordering and payment begins you are first in line if you have pre-ordered already.
  2. A way for me to gauge when to kick off the ordering window and take payments. Since production won't start until enough orders have been received, pre-ordering is a way to minimize the time between your paid order and when you see your case at your door.
So I recommend pre-ordering. You can always notify me if you decide to cancel.

I put updates below.

Thanks,

Fred

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@firewolfy

Been almost three weeks now, any new updates on the MI-6...?

Very curious on any more reports of those using the Noctua NH-L12S; I know TekEverything got it working (but he also said it was slightly bent at the heat pipes), just curious for other feedback on this heat sink in the MI-6 chassis...

Also wanting more info on the 'Loft'...!
Sorry guys, Lollipop's post made me realize that i forgot to hit 'post' on my message yesterday. Here it is----
Hi Boil,
Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, but was close to completing the costing, loft and other stuff. So I wanted to get out a good update, so you'd have something to look at.....

The 3.5" HDD mount probably won't get a lot of interest, but it was easy and should be cheap, -less than $10.

There are 2 loft heights you see there. The lofts have a few mm extra distance between the fan blades and the slots to reduce noise. The top plate used is the original one supplied with the case. Right now, the loft has some long screws to attach it to the case, but I have an idea to have a friction fit top plate to simplify and shorten the screws. The twin 92mm fans are a bit big for the vent size but still should move a lot of air.

Whew, glad I got those slides done. I put all this over on the webpage too this evening.

Oh, and I finalized the costing for the next batch:
SE Minimalist Case $185 (was $210 in batch 1).
SE Case with Front I/O $199 (was $235 in batch 1).
I got the price down some, woo hoo! I guess the price of alum is going up, so the price drop isn't as good as I had hoped.

Bonk

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2018
Looks really good Firewolfy!

About the loft, if I order one, is it then fixed to the case or can I add/remove it as I like?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Looks really good Firewolfy!

About the loft, if I order one, is it then fixed to the case or can I add/remove it as I like?

@Bonk,
The loft is attached to the case with 4 screws, so it is easily removable. It doesn't permanently change the case at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonk and ignsvn

eastofnowhere

Cable Smoosher
Jun 25, 2017
So, I finally got time to build in mine. My thoughts mirrored what others have said, very easy to build and clean minimalist look that sits proudly next to my monitor.

Thoughts:
  • Some people had trouble with thick monitor cables, I had no issues. What I did was loosen the screws on the PCIE riser cable, install the card, then tighten them back. I sure wasn't going to run into the same problem if I get fore warning!
  • The front panel button is a bit small for my fingers, not a biggie. I personally would have preferred just USB, no button nor audio and just use a vandal switch at the back. Really wish the USB3 spec can give us thinner cables though as routing was annoying.
  • I have a R7 1700 (stock)+ Noctua L9x65 with a 1070, Thermals are better than I expected, 60C running the stressapptest. Winter here, so ambient is high teens/low 20s.
I'm impressed. The last SFF build was a Silverstone SG13, that was terrible in terms of material quality. This case is a different league.

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
So, I finally got time to build in mine. My thoughts mirrored what others have said, very easy to build and clean minimalist look that sits proudly next to my monitor.

Thoughts:
  • Some people had trouble with thick monitor cables, I had no issues. What I did was loosen the screws on the PCIE riser cable, install the card, then tighten them back. I sure wasn't going to run into the same problem if I get fore warning!
  • The front panel button is a bit small for my fingers, not a biggie. I personally would have preferred just USB, no button nor audio and just use a vandal switch at the back. Really wish the USB3 spec can give us thinner cables though as routing was annoying.
  • I have a R7 1700 (stock)+ Noctua L9x65 with a 1070, Thermals are better than I expected, 60C running the stressapptest. Winter here, so ambient is high teens/low 20s.
I'm impressed. The last SFF build was a Silverstone SG13, that was terrible in terms of material quality. This case is a different league.

Glad to hear it, got any pics?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

Thoughts:

Hi @eastofnowhere,
Glad you found time to do your build. Looks like you have some great temps!

ChattyMatty

Chassis Packer
Jun 8, 2018
Would I be correct in guessing that if one added a top plate to the bottom of the case it would allow for a nice clean symmetrical horizontal orientation by adding feet to one side? (if so is there a possibility of running an extra top panel or three for this application?