Stalled Catz C-1 (5L), C-SFX (10L) and C-WS (15L)

deadz0ne

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2017
TL;DR: This riser good. Use if card no haz extra power.

First tests with this riser: https://www.moddiy.com/products/PCI...le-w{47}Molex-%2b-Solid-Capacitor-(30cm).html

Current setup:
Intel Pentium G4560
Noctua NH-L9i
GSkill DDR4 2133 8GB
MSI B250I Pro
ADATA Ultimate SU800 M.2 256GB
Streacom ST-NANO160 160W
MSI GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC

The riser has an extra molex connector so it takes some load off the PCIE slot (riser cables do not conform to standards, so may not support 75W reliably by themselves). From my tests I have concluded that the riser does not impact performance at all. It seems to be pretty reliable, so far. Good choice for people using cards with no external power connector (like GTX 1050 Ti). For 18€ (not including shipping) it's a real good deal!

Here some early benchmark results:
3DMark Time Spy 1080p without riser: 2354pts
With riser: 2355pts
Witcher 3 1080p w/o riser: 40fps avg
W/ riser: 40fps avg
I did have to set the PCI mode to 2.0. Auto or 3.0 didn't work properly (crashes and terrible performance).
Length wise the riser seems ok but will have to test in the case.

Will keep you guys posted if anything changes. Be cool if some of you could also post results.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
@amitoza What is that heatsink on the bottom of the case? Some kind of aftermarket one for the GPU or something?

@deadz0ne Thanks for testing that riser for us all! I personally don't need it but I know many do any a little review/benchmark like that is wonderful. I'd even suggest making your pwn post about it in the hardware section of the forums.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
@deadz0ne Thanks for testing that riser for us all! I personally don't need it but I know many do any a little review/benchmark like that is wonderful. I'd even suggest making your pwn post about it in the hardware section of the foru

Agreed, we have all been looking for a riser which delivers reliable power to non-powered cards. Thank you!

Reactions: Biowarejak

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Great project, but I got confused. Do you have plan to make the SFX version under 8L?
It's just too close to the size of Node 202, either 9L or 10L.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Okay so I'm back home and I got a few pics and some measurements. The actual cable part is in fact 250mm, maybe even closer to 252, but who is counting right :p I included pics of it's packaging but keep in mind I've already opened it so the anti static bag is a little ripped. I also took a pic of it all bent. It's a very thick and stiff riser but it will bend just fine. I can't figure out how to get pics from my google photos on here so I'm just going to include a link to an album with all the pics. And forgive the poor quality, I spend all my money on my PC and not my cell phone haha.

https://******/photos/6uZAijqsg2U9TdS18

@Jonny727272 I thought you bought the EZDiy one? Here in Europe UpHere and EZDiy sell PCIe risers under two distinct names...interesting. I see at the bottom of your box it is indeed EZDiy, still it is weird - check this out from Italy Amazon:

UpHere - not reviewed too well
EasyDiy (EZDiy) - reviewed very well

Strange, huh?

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017

Epinephrine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2017
Hyped for this and eagerly awaiting real-use reviews with temperature results.

I like C2 the most. Unibody is nicely integrated. @amitoza more info about it? Was it ever manufactured? Possibly pics with components installed? Any design theory behind airflow management (totally ok if not)? Any sacrifices needed to be made if we want audio jacks in the front in addition to the USB cutouts? Recommended parts for front I/O? Is there any progress on the dust filters? Price discount if I post detailed answers to all my questions? :)

Regarding shipping costs to EU, any possibility for offering discounts when shipping to neighbouring countries? Is it possible to pay via SEPA transfer or bitcoins?

Are there any other parts needed beside hdplex PSU, external power brick, PCI-E riser and front I/O components?

On more general note, any experiences with 300W HiFi HDPLEX? Stability, coil noise? If I understood correctly, HDPLEX plans to release 300W PSU (no external brick) soon? Do you think it would fit into C1?

Are there any solutions for portable gaming-grade LCD panels? Around 19inch size, 1080p (would 1440p be practical?) minimal bezel, thickness and weight?

From my limited research I think portable LCD panels with adjustable stands are the last obstacle needed to be overcome for SFF to become serious gaming laptop contender.

Edit: HDPLEX representative said to me in mail that the 300W PSU releases next week.

Last edited:

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
@amitoza, I received my case yesterday - very good job with the packing! Shipped safely.

There are a few imperfections on the front of the unibody where powder coating wasn't perfectly successful but other than that all seems fine. The screws you included are very useful (although magnetic should be a requirement when working in small cases!) and I especially admire the motherboard mounts on the side for the HDPlex 300w mounting although I am not using it. I will mount a GPU in it later this week and see how that goes but other than that I just wanted to say thanks, it is a quality product, surprisingly light, striking design aesthetic, and I am happy with the purchase.

Best of luck with future orders (which may also include more from me :) )

Last edited:

deadz0ne

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2017
@amitoza, I received my case yesterday - very good job with the packing! Shipped safely.

There are a few imperfections on the front of the unibody where powder coating wasn't perfectly successful but other than that all seems fine. The screws you included are very useful (although magnetic should be a requirement when working in small cases!) and I especially admire the motherboard mounts on the side for the HDPlex 300w mounting although I am not using it. I will mount a GPU in it later this week and see how that goes but other than that I just wanted to say thanks, it is a quality product, surprisingly light, striking design aesthetic, and I am happy with the purchase.

can you send us some detailed screenshots? different angles etc.

Raxe

Trash Compacter
Mar 3, 2017

Bledha maybe i´m sink into crazyness but with these case dimensions probably can fit a backpack without any problems so...
when you say "surprisingly light" can you specify( with a scale machine or similar) the aproximate weight of it?

Thanks!

With a portable monitor like an asus mb168b+(which i owned), a gechic one or simply an vr headset it can be a portable sff pc that fits in a single backpack

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Bledha maybe i´m sink into crazyness but with these case dimensions probably can fit a backpack without any problems so...
when you say "surprisingly light" can you specify( with a scale machine or similar) the aproximate weight of it?

Thanks!

With a portable monitor like an asus mb168b+(which i owned), a gechic one or simply an vr headset it can be a portable sff pc that fits in a single backpack

Already has some gear in it and I am busy digitizing polygons (boring...) Possible that I can do it next week when my other parts come in.

Weight stat for the cases should be on the very first posting in this thready though.

Reactions: Raxe

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
First of all, great-looking case! I love the SFX particularly because it doesn't sacrifice on number of drives (like most 7L sff cases) albeit a bit bigger (at 8L).

A few questions:
1. Can you guarantee production time will be under 3 weeks? I live somewhere in the corner of the world, but have friends in the Netherlands who're going to visit here next month. So if I can get them to deliver the case to me, it'd be wonderful.

2. How are the temps inside the SFX case?

3. Does it come with a power button, and if it does what color is the LED?

Price include case, powder coating and Power Button.

1. 2 weeks minimum + shipping
2. I will show some graphs soon
3. White or tricolour R/G/B

Hey, so actually the SFX version is 8L and 10L is the size including the feet below? Are those feet detachable?

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
I've been eying your cases for a while now and I love the design of the C-1.

I'm wondering what the chances are that you will create a modified version of your C-1 (or C-2) case that will be a little longer so it can fit the hdplex 300 DC-ATX + hdplex 300 AC-DC (just got an email that it will be available in a couple days).

The sizes are:
* 300W AC-DC: 62 x 151.4 with a height of 41
* 300W DC-ATX: 50 x 150 x 25

The width of the C-1 should be fine to mount both of them on the front. The height is also enough.
But we would probably need an inner case length of closer to 220mm to fit an ITX length graphics card + the ac-dc.