Cases-Build Strategy

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Hey all,

I'm sure some of you have heard that Caselabs is going out of business. I currently have the M8 as over the years I have been working to build a Watercooled, Server/Gaming/Workstation computer.

I have been building this to have Hotswaps, several VMs running on Linux KVM and so forth.

However, because of money restrictions I never got it to the point I wanted and the parts that I wanted for this build are no longer going to be available.

Therefore, I am looking for some advise.

ITX has attracted me for a long time as I live in a small house and I like a new challenge. I like the Ncase M1 and the NFC Skyreach but I would also like to continue watercooling as I already have money invested in it. I also like the form factor of the Corsair One but there does not seem to be an option for a custom case similar to that, best I ahve seen is the Phanteks Shift...

Anyways, thinking that going to ITX and a separate NAS might be better in light of recent events and also the fact that I may be able to sell my M8 now and make money off of it...

Does anyone have any case recomendations? I have some ideas for some custom designs even though I don't know how to go about building it myself...

Any input at all is appreciated.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Fractal Design Define Nano S. It features sufficient water cooling support and is pretty small.

If you want to build your own case, check out the resources on this forum (especially the build inside of a PSU case)

Reactions: madbrayniak

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Thanks! I will look into that case.
I'm going to try and do a sketch up model of what I am thinking.

I was thinking a 240 +120 for my design but maybe a single 280 is a.better option

Reactions: el01

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Dan C4, Project Orthrus are two future projects you might be interested in (see fora in the Vendors area), also check out current production cases on sfflab.com - like the new Chimera (also in the Vendor area). @KSliger is working on a new chassis as well.

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 23, 2018
Hey all,

I have checked back on this a few times but have not had much time to respond to anyone. I am seriously debating about getting Threadripper and doing some VMs to do Steam-InHome Streaming but another great use of my current system would be to make it my NAS, take the GPU out of it and build an ITX rig.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Hey all,

I have checked back on this a few times but have not had much time to respond to anyone. I am seriously debating about getting Threadripper and doing some VMs to do Steam-InHome Streaming but another great use of my current system would be to make it my NAS, take the GPU out of it and build an ITX rig.

X399m Taichi? Owf, a boy can dream :D