Image Credit - Cubeor

We've come a long way since the days of purely functional beige boxes as our PCs. What was once just a cage to hide away the inner workings of our systems has today become far more. Modern cases are as much an expression of the user's aesthetics as they are protection for the parts within. Lighting, paints, high quality materials, and artistic flares are now part of choosing your parts just as much as ensuring compatibility. Some designs however, blend the world of art and function to an even higher degree.
Let me introduce the Kanto by Cubeor.​

The Kanto is a case that doesn't hide on your desk. You don't tuck it behind a monitor, or in a cabinet. It demands to be front and center as an art piece. Since the is uses real wood, no two Kanto's will ever be exactly the same. Unlike some wood trim cases, the wood is truly functional. This isn't just a veneer. The wood is used for the side and top panels with the only metal being the hinges that connect it. The frame of the case is a matte black steel, which ties into the design; blending organic with industrial.

Speaking of organic, you have three choices of wood colors for the case. From lightest to darkest it's Birch, Cherry, and Cognac. All match well with the design, though I lean to the lighter two colors myself. I've been staring that the pictures for hours and still can't decide which one I would personally buy, and I'm really close to getting one.

Despite the artistic approach, this mATX case can hold some serious hardware. Specs include support for mATX and ITX boards, 280mm AIO, ample cooling fans, and up to a 400 mm, 4.3 slot GPU. Max air cooling height is 172 mm.
There is a price to pay though. The structural support for the wood paneling and mATX board does increase the size of the case to the upper limits of what one might consider SFF for mATX. At 35L in volume, it's similar to the legendary SilverStone FT03. It's not exactly small, nor is it massive. To be fair to Cubeor, the Kanto isn't advertised as SFF, and they have two other cases that specifically are.

I
Image Credit -tyrellfrederick16​

Why am I profiling it then? Change is coming.
The power usage and heat of high-end SFF systems is getting harder to contain. I've run into this issue in my personal builds as of late. An Intel 12900K and RTX 3080 can truly cook a system even in a full size case. GPUs are now only getting larger, and both AMD and Intel are struggling to keep the wattage of the their CPUs below 250w. There is no magic miracle coming from die shrinks anytime soon, or possibly ever again. Rumors put the next generation GeForce line at up to 500 watts, and four slots thick. ITX boards are running out of space to cool their VRMs and chipsets. Simply put, what is SFF for the high-end is about to change.
As part of this, I reached out to Jarkko Surakka of Finland; the owner of Cubeor for some of the story of how his case came to be. The Kanto is exclusively sold on Etsy in the US. This was a message exchange I did with Jarkko. It wasn't an interview, but I've placed interview style questions in to help separate the topics.

Is the Kanto still in production?

Jarrko Yes, Kanto is still in production, as we own our own machinery/tooling and design our cases 100% by ourselves, our cases technically never go out of production :)

Can you tell us about how you designed the Kanto?

The province where our workshop is has a strong woodworking tradition. That inspired us to consider wood, trees, and nature as Kanto's primary source of inspiration and material.

Most cases today look like they are coming from the same production line; they all have the same looks/layout.
We wanted to create something that would stand out yet still be practical and have excellent air cooling, and the case is supposed to look good when situated on a work desk.

How about the technical design of it?

The GPU is the most significant bottleneck in heavy workloads such as rendering and gaming. Thus, prioritizing GPU cooling without sacrificing general case cooling can be done efficiently with a vertical motherboard layout—GPU is very close to the case air intake. The vertical layout also removes the GPU sag problem, which is becoming more common as GPUs are getting larger and larger.
Kanto was supposed to be smaller than what it is because back then, you could still get single-fan-sized GPUs. The current GPU shortage means that small/single fan GPUs are not accessible by most people. Therefore, an all-encompassing GPU support is essential during the current GPU shortage. Our case has to support whatever size GPU people can buy or have in storage.

Can you tell us about the layout?
Many new SFF cases utilize a sandwich layout and use PCI-E-riser to make their case more compact. Although using a riser is an excellent idea in principle, the fact is that a good quality PCI-E-Gen4 riser will raise the cost of a PC case by a lot. Risers also tend to create more mechanical points of failure, cable management mess, plus a slight drop in performance (minimal but still).

Tell us about the cooling.
We designed the Kanto case to perform excellent with only three fans at low/moderate PWM signal. Three fan solution is possible due to the short distance between GPU / CPU air intake and exhaust, plus PSU in our system is pushing air out from the case like in the old PC case days — something most modern case designers have forgotten.

What else is unique about the Kanto?
Another unique feature of Kanto is the top section of the case that allows for fast access to motherboard I/O ports and peripheral devices. Motherboard rear connectors give much better data connection and are of higher quality than front panel I/O ports. Yet, they are not easily accessible in most PC cases — the case is next to a wall or below your desk. Kanto solves that problem with an easily accessible hinged cover that also functions as a cooling port, meaning you can place Kanto next to a wall without losing any cooling potential and save desk space.

Currently, the Kanto is available on Etsy in the US for approximately $280. Those across the pond in Europe can buy directly from Cubeor for €329 normally, but it’s currently on sale for €279.
Visit the Cubeor website by CLICKING HERE.

See the Kanto on Etsy by CLICKING HERE.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-40-00 Kanto – First high-performance wooden mATX PC case.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-40-00 Kanto – First high-performance wooden mATX PC case.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-39-21 il_1140xN.3835243479_7tch.jpg (WEBP Image 1140 × 1652 pixels...png
    Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-39-21 il_1140xN.3835243479_7tch.jpg (WEBP Image 1140 × 1652 pixels...png
    258.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-36-25 il_1140xN.3835264803_ofg6.jpg (AVIF Image 1140 × 1193 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-36-25 il_1140xN.3835264803_ofg6.jpg (AVIF Image 1140 × 1193 pixels).png
    292.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-36-05 il_1140xN.3787642570_sbc5.jpg (AVIF Image 1140 × 667 pixels).png
    Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 11-36-05 il_1140xN.3787642570_sbc5.jpg (AVIF Image 1140 × 667 pixels).png
    315 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I really am thinking of getting one tonight. I just put Jamo S803 speakers as my system speakers and they’re black and wood. Very similar to the cognac color.

Shelby

Cable Smoosher
Aug 16, 2022
Good question. I'll reach out to them ask them to join the forum.
I wrote them yesterday befor your post and they already answered - here´s the answer - great news:

Thank you for showing interest in the Kanto case. We are in the process of making a new batch of upgraded (V1.2) Kanto cases. They should be ready approximately in 1-2 weeks. We will announce the release of the new version of the case on Instagram and Twitter.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I wrote them yesterday befor your post and they already answered - here´s the answer - great news:

Thank you for showing interest in the Kanto case. We are in the process of making a new batch of upgraded (V1.2) Kanto cases. They should be ready approximately in 1-2 weeks. We will announce the release of the new version of the case on Instagram and Twitter.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that!

Reactions: Shelby

Shelby

Cable Smoosher
Aug 16, 2022
I reached out to Cubeor for more infos about the V1.2. They answer always really fast and are very kind. All infos below:

-------
Kanto version 1.2 upgrade list:

-Side panel mechanism has been improved significantly
-The case comes with an upgraded metallic cable management panel
-You can mount one SSD to the case without an optional HDD-tray kit
-Slim fans can now be mounted between the wooden front panels and the front fan bracket — allowing the use of fans with extra-wide GPUs, e.g., ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 Noctua Edition.
-HDD-kit and dust filter are sold optionally, reducing the overall price considerable

The new batch of upgraded Kanto cases should be ready for sale in 2 weeks. Due to Finnish summer vacations, we have had a little delay releasing the latest Kanto batch.
-------

And i also asked them about the coming Vault 2 Mini-ITX case, which they announced for fall 2022 on their website. Maybe the infos about this case should be moved in another post?:

-------
The Vault 2 Mini-itx case design is ready, and a small batch of Vault 2 cases is powder coated. Once the powder coating is done, we will do final testing to ensure everything works perfectly. After that, we will photoshoot it and start producing a larger batch for resale.
-------

Shelby

Cable Smoosher
Aug 16, 2022
All infos about the coming Kanto v1.2 case are now live on Cubeor´s website.

If all is final, pricing will be:
- Birch and Cognac EUR 234,15
- Cherry EUR 259,65
- Dustfilter EUR 20,- (looks like a Demciflex filter)
- HDD Tray EUR 10,-

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Extremely interesting. A little big at 35 liters, but you're getting quiet a bit of compatibility along with that size. Most of that volume though is due to it being tall, so I can't complain too much. It'll take up about the same amount of desk space as my Cerberus-X does now, so whatever. Based on the recently leaked Zotac 4090's, GPU's next generation are going to be massive, so this thing's 400mm long and 4.3 slot thick GPU clearance may be genuinely necessary for high end builds later this year. Support for ATX PSU's and massive CPU coolers is also going to make this a strong contender later this year.

And all of that is just talking specs. The case itself is gorgeous too. This one's definitely going on the list of cases to consider for my next build.

joel

Efficiency Noob
Nov 25, 2022
Love these kind of cases. Just ordered the "new" Cubeor Vault 2. It's a 23.4L mini-itx case. I prefer the looks of the vault because it's a bit more clean an minimalist, mantaining allmost the same hardware layout. I just have to see if I can "mod" / adapte the case to fit my 14cm ATX power supply, if not will have to buy a SFX PS.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Love these kind of cases. Just ordered the "new" Cubeor Vault 2. It's a 23.4L mini-itx case. I prefer the looks of the vault because it's a bit more clean an minimalist, mantaining allmost the same hardware layout. I just have to see if I can "mod" / adapte the case to fit my 14cm ATX power supply, if not will have to buy a SFX PS.
Does that case use a riser for the GPU, or does it slot directly into the motherboard? It doesn't seem to say anywhere on the page and I can't quite tell from looking at the pictures.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Does that case use a riser for the GPU, or does it slot directly into the motherboard?
No riser

source: