Can you use the Dynamo 360 without the 160?

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Hi,
As far as I understand the Dynamo 360 can provide 360W, but so far I have only seen it used in conjunction with the Dynamo 160. However, if 360W is enough (or more than enough), couldn't you just use the Dynamo 360 without the 160?

Reactions: Obelisk

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You can use it without the 160, but only if your motherboard can take DC power and convert it onboard (ie. Mini STX, Micro STX, Thin ITX). If you plan to use it with a motherboard that uses a standard 24 pin ATX header then you need to combine it with the Dynamo Mini in order to function properly.

Reactions: Obelisk

Venemo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
So when using with most mainstream mini-ITX motherboards, I would need to use the 360 in combo with the 160.
Good to know, thank you!

onelsonic

Minimal Tinkerer
May 24, 2018
Hi, very nice products,
I have a few things I would like to confirm :
- first is, I have a machine (not ATX) that will be consuming 346W max from 2 inputs :
one at 12V24amp Max and the other 5V1.5amp, will the Dynamo 360 by itself alone be enough to provide this power, with the right wiring?

do you have any detailed specs sheet like :

Dynamo 360
  • Rated power = 360W, I guess?
  • Typical Power efficiency in % ???
  • Maximum output power for 10s ??? 400W perhaps??
- then can the Dynamo 360 by itself alone be connected to a 600W AC-DC power supply with a 25A rated current?
like this MeanWell : SE-600-24 specs here

Thank you for your feedback

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Will the Dynamo 360 by itself alone be enough to provide this power, with the right wiring?

Yes. It should be able to manage this no problem. 5V is available via the SATA header and 1.5A is well within spec.

Do you have any detailed specs sheet like :

Working on documentation. Recently had a family crisis etc. that put all of my projects on ice but hoping to have it out in the next month. As far as your specific questions:

- 360W is the rated power over 12V (ie. the two PCIe receptacles). 400W short term should be totally fine but I'd advise against running the unit that hard all the time,
- Efficiency is >94% just like the other HDplex units

You can connect as large an AC-DC unit to the Dynamo 360 as you please provided that draw is within spec. I have very successfully run the combo using my Eurocom 780W brick.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@kevlar If your motherboard supports 16-24V DC power and is compatible with the Dynamo 360 it will most likely have a 5.5mm barrel connector on the back. This includes Thin ITX boards, NuC boards as well as Mini and Micro STX boards. If you link your board here or alternatively send me the model number in a PM I can tell you more.