CAD Software

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
I use a combination of fusion360 and Ansys Spaceclaim.

Fusion is a great design tool, it feels purpose built for case design to me (though it's not).

that’s shame to hear that.

I would love to design my own case. I guess I will use protocase. Once I complete it, and send it to them to check. Course, there will be fee to pay.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Do you know of any good tutorials specifically for case design?

No, I really don't, except for the STX.160 thread. Maybe I should make a youtube tutorial series for case design in fusion360!

that’s shame to hear that.

I would love to design my own case. I guess I will use protocase. Once I complete it, and send it to them to check. Course, there will be fee to pay.

Why is that a shame to hear? I'm a bit confused. :)

Hey, any thoughts on the c64c case idea?

Yeah, just very little time!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I wish Autodesk would provide some official Linux support for Fusion360. That's one of the tools I'm most familiar with. I already got Sketchup 2017 with Wine at least, and like 95% of its features work great other than having to install extensions manually (becuase the popup window doesn't load the information from online). There are also approaches to get Fusion360 working with that too.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I wish Autodesk would provide some official Linux support for Fusion360. That's one of the tools I'm most familiar with. I already got Sketchup 2017 with Wine at least, and like 95% of its features work great other than having to install extensions manually (becuase the popup window doesn't load the information from online). There are also approaches to get Fusion360 working with that too.

I very much agree, I haven't had any luck running it under wine. Until then I'm stuck on windows.

danny.nguyen

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
No, you can! It works fine, I've designed plenty of cases in it!

Hmmm... I'll think about it. ;)

Then it was too late for me to get 25% off which ended yesterday after asking if you think it's good to design a case and transform it into real product. I want to pay monthly for 3 years if I could get that 25% off but they said no :(

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Then it was too late for me to get 25% off which ended yesterday after asking if you think it's good to design a case and transform it into real product. I want to pay monthly for 3 years if I could get that 25% off but they said no :(

From Protocase or Autodesk? For hobbyists and students, fusion 360 is free, just follow this link!

Reactions: danny.nguyen

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
Last I checked not the best for case design, though. :(

Maybe in a few years! :)

Yeah, like I said, worth to keep an eye on it; It's fast approaching Solidworks for generic CAD, but it is lacking for sheet metals and assembly, so not a true contender yet. This is also why I recommend it strictly to hobbyists for now. :)

Still, compared to the status just a couple of years ago, well..

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, like I said, worth to keep an eye on it; It's fast approaching Solidworks for generic CAD, but it is lacking for sheet metals and assembly, so not a true contender yet. This is also why I recommend it strictly to hobbyists for now. :)

Still, compared to the status just a couple of years ago, well..

I 100% agree! I can't wait till it is usable for me!