Motherboard Building advice with 3700x. Motherboard & CPU Cooler

buma

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Feb 10, 2020
I've been having some trouble trying to find a motherboard for my build. It seems most need some sort of flash update with an older cpu or something.
Is there any MINI ITX motherboard which has an M.2 cooler of some sort and will work out of the box with my Ryzen 3700x? Also maybe doing some overclocking in the future. (low-mid range price).

I will be using the Nouvolo Steck case, can I use any 120mm CPU radiator with a slim design fan? Or should I just simply get the Noctua NH-L12S?

This is my first Mini build, I appreciate any sort of advice, thanks!

Edit: ASUS ROG Strix B450-I seems like it will work, thoughts?

Last edited:

Frenzy

Trash Compacter
Feb 14, 2020
I've done a DAN A4 build with Asus B450-I and 3700x past summer. It will not work out of the box. You'll need to update the bios with an older CPU in it first. I solved this by buying the Mobo at local computer store and they flashed the bios for me as a service. If you're living too remote, i believe AMD also ships special flash kits with an older CPU, which you send back the them afterwards.

I did some digging for this problem too at that time, there are basically no ITX B450 / B350 boards with USB BIOS flashback. If you can hold out a little longer AMD should be announcing details of the B550, these will be obviously compatible out of the box with current 3000 series, and coming 4000.

Cooling wise. I see the Nouvolo Steck looks quite a lot like the DAN-A4. I used the Noctua NH-L9a. The 8c/16th CPU is not that easy to cool at load. Furthermore at idle the CPU will spike up & down quite a bit, so you need to do some tuning if fan noise is a concern. I was long considering to switch to asetek-645 liquid cooling but got the fan behaviour under control by using a 3d printed duct. My 2c

Reactions: buma