CPU Black Ridge V2 AM4 Mounting Force?

mayorbryn

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
May 29, 2020
Hi all,

New to the forum but have lurked for a while checking out peoples SFF builds before jumping in to build my own (a lot of cool stuff here!).

I have some concerns with the Black Ridge V2 cooler and have tried searching around but can't find any information specific to my concern (most threads seem to be about clearance issues with V1).

I am building in the DAN A4 and have a Black Ridge V2 cooler to install over a 3700X on an ASUS Strix B450-I board, but I am hesitant to continue mounting it as it feels like it is putting a lot of stress on the board. Alpenfohn's installation video make it look as though when you place the cooler on the CPU, the mounting points slot through the holes in the motherboard, everything sits flush and you just put the screws in nice and easy... When I place the cooler on the CPU the screw mounts sit a good distance off the board and only begin to be pulled flush with the motherboard under the mechanical force of the screws. To a certain point this seems fine but I'm still a good few mm from the bracket mounting points sitting flush with the board and I'm afraid to put too much force as the board starts to bend.

Can anyone else share their experience mounting this cooler? Am I just chickening out or am I right to be concerned?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers!

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
I ended up using a backplate when fitting mine as I too noticed my motherboard bending a lot, even though there was very little resistance to the when screwing the screws in.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I ended up using a backplate when fitting mine as I too noticed my motherboard bending a lot, even though there was very little resistance to the when screwing the screws in.
are you using the stock backplate that comes with the motherboard? I tried lining it up but didn't feel it was right to use it.

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019
I did but you need to cut it down a bit and drill out the threads on the backplate before you can use it.
Otherwise just buy a generic am4 backplate.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Omega

Efficiency Noob
May 29, 2020
After reading many reports of bent and warped motherboards as a result of using the stock Black Ridge mounting system, I ordered a Noctua NM-AM4-L9aL9i kit.

However, before all items arrive I'd like to ask what exactly should be used from that kit in a combination with Black Ridge: just a backplate, screws, mounting 'legs', or everything combined?