Building a Custom ITX PC Case...might call it Nova

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Hello everyone,since we are all at home and i was bored, i decided to look around for a new pc to build. After a few days of searching, i couldnt find anything that really attracted me without needing to spend $200usd+. Then,it dawned on me, why not just attempt to make my own. I wanted a sub 20L itx case with a pretty decent amount of support. The one that i created over the course of the last week has 240mm radation support,a gpu length of 335mm roughly,and allows up to 4 120mm fans. It also allows for an SFX PSU and 65mm of CPU cooler height. Depending on how i feel, i may get mesh side panels for air cooling or just make myself tempered glass panels later. The design is based on the Circle Pro case,which is nearly $500. I want to make one thats closer to the $120-$150 price point,and if it turns out really well,i may attempt to start selling them. This case is about 18L give or take 0.5L.
I'm going to attach some renderings of it with parts and completely empty. I'd love some feedback on what i could improve on.
This is just the first version,but this is the hardware i plan on throwing into the case once its done (Will more than likely change)
As soon as i can figure out how to add pictures ill throw in the renderings of version 1

Last edited:
Reactions: bricemx

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Mine is about 1.6x bigger (18 Liters) with more support in terms of AIOs and GPUs. I also feel like the ventilation for the intake fans is massively better. On top of all of that,while i know it wont be anywhere near as amazing in terms of quality,at the price point i want for it (should i attempt to sell it) i feel will justify.

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
There might be legal regulations preventing you to sell it as it’s a circle pro copy. you may wanna contact them in advance or change the design.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
There might be legal regulations preventing you to sell it as it’s a circle pro copy. you may wanna contact them in advance or change the design.
I didnt realize box with curves was their property but,thank you for the warning

Reactions: lambino

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Update #1: Changed the top plate. Now has more ventilation holes, and added a removable radiator plate for ease of installation. The plate is inserted with an in-built channel and will be held in place when the side panels are attached.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
If you got it to the $120 to $150 price point with ventilated aluminum side panels, I'd buy it--especially if you could squeeze at tad higher CPU cooler in there. I'm not into water-cooling.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm all for seeing a more affordable alternative to Circle Pro especially if it fits longer cards.

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
If you got it to the $120 to $150 price point with ventilated aluminum side panels, I'd buy it--especially if you could squeeze at tad higher CPU cooler in there. I'm not into water-cooling.
I was thinking of going with mesh but thats an option too

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
I'm so afraid that i may end up needing to go with 3d printing or Acrylic over Aluminum. God these manufacturing prices out crazy. I'll keep messing with the design and talk around to see if i can get a good working prototype done and ready for you guys. I almost forgot about the $40 pcie extender needed...OOF

Last edited:

Sorakamii

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Going to end up calling it Nova.So,after alot of annoyance and trouble,i think i can finalized a design for my first actual case. From the first picture that i posted,many major aspects of the case have changed.
  1. The final dimensions of the case are 326mm x 307.5 x 154mm
    1. Is now 15.5L now versus the 18.5L in the first version
  2. CPU Cooler clearance is 50mm (leaves 2mm of space from the side panel). GPU clearance is 315mm (leaves 5mm of space from the front panel. Will only fit a double slot card.
  3. Can fit a 240mm Radiator at the top. Top fan mount also has a massive hole to slide radiator through for added "tube management". In total the case allows 4 120mm fans. I will see about adding 140mm options down the line.
  4. 2 Side panel Options.
    1. Mesh
    2. Perforated Aluminum
I plan on making this case out of Aluminum,but am still having trouble getting a decent price of the 1st one. Should i just give up on that,ill end up with going with Acrylic. I truly want to have this case go for sale at the $150 mark (with PCIE included) for a few reasons.
  • I dont want not think i can compete at the Ncase M1 price point.
  • Its the first time im attempting this and id feel bad if people spent $200+ on my case and ended up hating it.
I want to go with a very minimal design that is easy to mod,should you want to do so. I want the color options to be Black,Bare (Natural Aluminum Silver),and White. While i was in my design stump, i played around and make another case for fun.....i hate how big it is. Ill add it at the end of the render images