Log [Build Log] šŸ›  Meshlicious Dual Rad (280/240) Custom Loop

Uglobu

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
A brief documentation of my Meshlicious build in case anyone is curious how a custom dual rad loop might be done in this case.

Why a second radiator, isnā€™t this unnecessary? Maybe, but otherwise it just seemed like an awful waste of space in this beautiful case. šŸ˜‰

TODOs​

• Proper cable management
  • Undervolt CPU and GPU
  • Fine tune fan curves

Pictures​

Parts used​

• Case
    • Full mesh black Meshlicious with PCIe 4.0 riser
  • CPU
    • EK-Quantum Velocity AM4 + AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • GPU
    • EK-Quantum Vector RX 6800/6900 + Reference AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
  • Radiators
    • Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper V2 280mm
      • 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax (black)
    • Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper V2 240mm
      • 2 x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax (black)
  • Pump
    • Alphacool Laing DDC310 + EK-XTOP DDC
  • Res
    • None
  • Loop
    • EK-Quantum Flow Indicator
    • Aqua Computer high flow LT Flow Meter
    • Some Hard Tube (Acrylic, 12/10), some TPV
  • Other Hardware
    • Corsair SF600 Platinum
    • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I Gaming
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3600)
  • Misc
    • Aqua Computer Quadro Fan Controller
    • Aqua Computer inline temperature sensor
    • ADT-Link DisplayPort Extension

Radiator Bracket​

To mount a second 240 mm radiator on the GPU side, I have sketched and lasercut a mounting bracket from V2A stainless steel. Please see notes on thingiverse for details in case you want to make your own.

Display Port Bracket​

To get the video signal out without using a huge adaptor I'm using an ADT-Link DisplayPort Extension (P2-P4T https://aliexpress.com/item/4000308855899.html) and 3D printed a bracket for the cable pass-through in the back. The extension I ordered ended up being too long (30cm) but otherwise works great.

My first conclusion​

So far this was a fun build and everything works as expected. Even without undervolting or finetuning, temperatures during a first test run were already quite good and look promising for such a small case.
Regarding the big question, was it worth it? I have no numbers or comparison, only what my gut tells me right now: Adding a second radiator might not be worth it considering the effort. It seems due to the confined space the 240 radiator suffers from diminishing returns due to recycling some air from the 280.
If you want a challenge, a satisfying build and are in there for the ride, go for it. If you want a relatively easy full custom loop in the Meshlicious, take a look at Optimum Techs amazing build.

Other thoughts​

The case​

My verdict: The Meshlicious is an amazing case. Fantastic quality for a fair price, very easy to build in, very compact still a lot of space and last but not least I love the aesthetics!
Compared to other SFX cases like for example the Dan Cases A4-SFX it is way more flexible and offers so much more room while still maintaining a small footprint. What amazed me the most during my build, so many things just fit. Sometimes barely but if there was just half a centimeter less space the build would have been impossible. As if it was meant to šŸ˜…
It is already half a year since I saw the introduction video from Optimum Tech (great channel!) and the claim still stands, the Meshi-Boy is still a very hard to beat ITX case in my opinion. I do not regret waiting for it so long.

No Reservoir​

I knew what I was getting into with this, not having a reservoir and a loop with a lot of places where air can get trapped is quite difficult to fill. It took a while (and a few tricks) to fill and bleed the loop. Having some spare ball vales to close the loop quickly also came in handy.
In the end I added a small ā€œappendixā€ as a poor manā€™s reservoir to one of the extra fill ports of the 280 radiator. This works surprisingly well. I also used a T-adapter to add another fill port for trapping and releasing air when needed to the other radiator.

GPU Block​

I am using the EK-Quantum Vector RX 6800/6900 block and had to remove all RGB lighting from it. In hindsight I should have bought the EK-Classic version since it is cheaper and has the same coldplate (and performance).

EKWB​

I used to love their products and still do but must admit Iā€™m seriously disappointed since this build. Their new Quantum line adapter fittings look oversized and atrocious and have significantly degraded in quality since the now classic series. The few I ordered to try out were a huge disappointment, they had stains and after trying to clean them they ended up with even more irremovable discoloring (from distilled water!). In the end I used a mix of their classic adapters with the new Torque hard tube fittings.
Also contacting their customer support was not helpful, they do not even know their own products and cannot help with technical questions. šŸ‘Ž

Alphacool​

Will always be a mixed bag to me, the performance of their products might be good but the quality is seldomly more than mediocre. I bought their radiators because of their additional fill ports but my brand new rads came already stained and badly painted.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
A fantastic build, really well executed across the board. While I'll never understand people who do hard tubing (water cooling is already enough of a hassle, hard tubing just increases that exponentially), and think the DP output plate is too restrictive (only one port and no room to pass further cables through), otherwise this is a 10/10. Really well done.

A couple of questions:
- How thick are the side rad and fans?
- Am I right in assuming this is in 4-slot mode?

I'm rather tempted to try squeezing a second rad into mine at some point (I have a spare EK PE 240 that I can use for a mockup, though it's too thick for actual use at 38mm), though my QDCs might make tube routing too difficult. We'll see.

CuMiCo

Caliper Novice
Jun 11, 2020
Great build. Dual rads are ITX master race.
Do you know by any chance how much liquid your loop holds? How are the temps?

Uglobu

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
A fantastic build, really well executed across the board. While I'll never understand people who do hard tubing (water cooling is already enough of a hassle, hard tubing just increases that exponentially), and think the DP output plate is too restrictive (only one port and no room to pass further cables through), otherwise this is a 10/10. Really well done.

A couple of questions:
- How thick are the side rad and fans?
- Am I right in assuming this is in 4-slot mode?

I'm rather tempted to try squeezing a second rad into mine at some point (I have a spare EK PE 240 that I can use for a mockup, though it's too thick for actual use at 38mm), though my QDCs might make tube routing too difficult. We'll see.
Thank you! To be honest, this is my first hardline build and while I agree it is certainly more work I absolutely love the aesthetics. And especially in small cases there is peace of mind that a tight bend won't kink.
Good point about the DP plate, I'm only using a single monitor so never thought of more output. Unfortunately in my case the pump blocks the second DP and HDMI connector, there is only a single USB C connector left but I don't have any use for that either.

The radiator on the side (Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 v2) is 30 mm and the fans (NF-A12x15) 15 mm thick, the case in 4-slot mode, leaving a bit less than 1,5 cm space between fans and GPU.
Great build. Dual rads are ITX master race.
Do you know by any chance how much liquid your loop holds? How are the temps?
Thanks! There is about half a liter of Aqua Computer Double Protect Ultra red in the loop. No final temps yet, sorry.

Reactions: CuMiCo and Valantar

KRRamoo92

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 20, 2021
For the DP adapter, what length do you think would work well? I'm debating between 150mm to 200mm. Unfortunately I don't have the case yet but am currently parting it out

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
For the DP adapter, what length do you think would work well? I'm debating between 150mm to 200mm. Unfortunately I don't have the case yet but am currently parting it out
I got 150mm ones for mine, and IMO that's the perfect length. 200 would be long enough to be problematic in terms of bends.