Build Check : First SFF build

mistahclean

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Hi all, thanks in advance for taking a look and commenting. Excited to do my first SFF build and wanted to just doublecheck with you all to make sure I'm not making any glaring mistakes.

Here's what I'm looking at (Already have most of these parts):
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vjq6hg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($152.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card ($419.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Corsair)

Some notes:
- Most likely will be running stock
- Primary use will be for gaming, secondary use for productivity but none of that is taxing
- Everything but the board and cooler have been purchased already (probably jumped the gun)

There's a few questions I have:
- While the MSI MECH OC fits in the ncase, it looks like it's about 2.5 slots wide, meaning I'd have to use 15mm fans at the bottom if I choose to add them. I've seen comments about not bothering with the 15mm fans as they'd cause some turbulence (which seems non-ideal over time) plus the lower airflow bandwidth.
- I've seen that the C14S *should* fit on the B450-I but what I'm curious of is what kind of clearance it leaves for the RAM slots in low profile mode (https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-c14s/comp). The linked specs state 40mm but I have to measure my RAM as apparently physical dimensions of the sticks are not easily available. If anything, can folks link the RAM modules they've used that fit?
- In follow-up, in high clearance mode, the M1 would only support a 15mm fan correct?
- Does the C14S need any special bracket/hardware that needs to be ordered directly from Noctua?
- Any arguments pro/con not to go with an AIO?
- For air cooling, what are some fan intake/exhaust setups folks are using?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Nice build! Going in on your questions:
-don't go mech oc. 15mm are loud and won't do much as you stated. Get the gigabyte gaming oc without fans or the red dragon with 12x25mm fans. The gigabyte is considered the best and most quiet mid range rx 5700xt. I would invest in this card.
-i have trident z Neo which have a comfortable clearance with the Asus b450i and c14s with 25mm fan underneath. The trident z Neo are 42mm I believe. You can even go like 2mm more.
-dont go with 15mm fan on top of the c14s, since it will only make like 2 degrees difference I believe.
-you don't need a bracket. Mount the included psu bracket to the front of the case to make room for the 25x14mm included noctua fan
-your cpu is very efficient and will not run Above like 60 degrees on 40% fan speed while gaming. Aio pump makes noice, can break in few years and is hard to fit certain ones in the M1. Air cooling is enough for the c14s and ryzen 5 3600.
-keep in mind to ask of the Asus b450i is upfated for ryzen 3000. Asus states it's ryzen 3000 compatible now, but older non updated ones are still being sold. Better ask the vendor.
- the Asus b450i had 2 m.2 slots for a nvme and the m.2 version of the Samsung 860 evo. You could consider that one.
-hard to say what is the best fan setup since your cpu won't get Hot, and depending on gpu, intake is better for gpu temps and Hot air will go up, so maybe c14s exhaust is better cause of air getting trapped. Intake will be better for fresh air. Hard to say.

cdot

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2019
I'm actually looking at building a new PC with pretty much exactly the same parts, except going Nvidia for the GPU.
My current setup consists of the i7 7700K which is OC'd to 4.6GHz with a Noctua U9S which along with the C14S is quite a popular setup. I've got 2 x NF A9 92mm PWM fans running push-pull exhausting air out the rear vent. I'm not using any bottom fans. My GTX1070 is running stock. The current fan setup works really well for me, with a rough ambient temperature of 25°C I'm not seeing any temps go over 75°C even while gaming and remains silent.

Another setup which I've seen is running the U9S as intake, and having 2 fans running as exhaust on the bottom which was slightly cooler then my setup. But I'm happy with how mine is running at the moment. That being said, HyperActive already mentioned that your CPU won't be running anywhere near as hot as mine, so I'd assume you'd achieve better results in terms of temps.

mistahclean

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Thank you for your replies.

It sounds like I may be overthinking the cooling problem given that I'm planning on running stock and that my setup is on the cooler side in general.

To clarify, the c14s fan on exhaust by itself would be enough in this setup? Part of me was also thinking about throwing in a top exhaust as well.

I suppose I could run it and see how it goes :)

cdot

Efficiency Noob
Oct 11, 2019
I feel like it would be enough, but monitor temps while putting the system under load. If you still find that it's running a little on the 'hotter' side. A top or rear exhaust will do the trick :)

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Thank you for your replies.

It sounds like I may be overthinking the cooling problem given that I'm planning on running stock and that my setup is on the cooler side in general.

To clarify, the c14s fan on exhaust by itself would be enough in this setup? Part of me was also thinking about throwing in a top exhaust as well.

I suppose I could run it and see how it goes :)
Will be plenty with the 3600! But just try a short 10 min run prime or whatever to see if exhaust or intake works best. In older versions intake was best without glass panel and exhaust with glass panel. But I don't remember if he had bottom fans. Best is to try yourself, though a 3600 isnt hard to drive.