Build Check: hybrid GPU, motherboard/CPU cooler suggestions

b-stock

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: (Probably) Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Up for debate
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($351.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: SK hynix SL308 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($309.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW Hybrid Gaming Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Corsair)
Case: Ncase M1 v6

This build is fairly standard except for the hybrid GPU, which I have found several examples of fitting in an Ncase M1, as long as I use 90-degree PCIe power connectors, which I already have on-hand.

All parts are on-hand except for CPU cooler and motherboard. Also, I have not explicitly listed fans here because I have a variety (included several Corsair ML120) on hand, and they are readily available locally if necessary. I expect that which fans go where will be more clear after assembling the other components. Before I can do that, I must choose a motherboard most importantly.

Motherboard Selection

I think I'd like an X570 motherboard because I don't want to mess around with borrowing a legacy CPU just to install a BIOS update, and the future-proofing benefits are an added bonus.

As of today, there are 4 ITX X570 motherboards on the market:
- Gigabyte Aorus
- Asus ROG Strix
- Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
- ASRock Phantom

Of these, I can rule out the Crosshair because of the price, leaving 3 reasonably-priced options. Of these, the ASRock Phantom seems to have a slight edge because I think Thunderbolt is cool, but I don't currently have a use case for it at this time. Any suggestions out of these three options would be most appreciated.

CPU Cooler Selection

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the NH-C14S because piping and rad space may already be tight with my hybrid GPU, and the NH-C14S provides good air cooling for a CPU like the 3700X. M1 v6 makes that even easier by supporting different PSU orientations without using an ATX PSU bracket. That said, I might see how it looks when everything else is buttoned up, and perhaps buy a 120 mm AIO if it looks like it might fit.

So, does it seem like all of this will fit? Which motherboard should I buy?

Last edited:

Dries

Caliper Novice
Aug 3, 2019
The gigabyte board only supports vertical mounting of the c14s. You Will need a different bracket from noctua to mount it. On Reddit there is a Guy who did it, leaving about 1 MM with the gpu.
The ASRock board is difficult one, not seen any pics of someone using it with c14s. It will be a close call in all directions i guess. I did some measurements on images.
I went for b450 strix, if the x570 strix has the same socket location i would go for that one if you really need a 570x ofc...