Build Advice (NCase M1 v6)

ShinjiLeery

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Hello everybody,
this is my first attempt of building a SFF PC having build only towers or mid-towers for almost 20 years ( damn you Optimum Tech XD )

I already have at home a shiny new ncase M1 v6 and i was waiting for black Friday or other discounts to buy all the parts i need.
i'm a web developer and this PC would be used for compiling, software building using Linux and occasional gaming with Windows (CIV6, Anno 1800, and games like them)

This i come up so far:

Ryzen 5 3600
Noctua NH-C14S
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-320
Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2.5" (512GB) from my previous build
Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 500GB (linux + windows)
Samsung 970 EVO m.2 1TB (data)
Corsair SF750 80Plus

i have some advice to ask:
1) Is a AIO a better solution for this build? The Ryzen 5 3600 is not a hot CPU so maybe the air cooling would be enough
2) do i have clearing issue with that air cooling and the motherboard. I look around and found no direct answer
3) are the SSD choices good? i Don't know if pci4 gen ssd is worth it for my work and use
4) i honestly don't know which graphic card to choose, i don't don't play big demanding games but i would like to play them at 1440p. My only request is that i would love to have a triple monitor setup (main, secondary in portrait for coding and one for testing). My main concern is clearance in the case, cooling and most of all noise. My budget for the card would be max 200/250 Euros

Thanks to all for your help, and happy building!

couchpotato

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2019
Regarding watercooling. like you said, the Ryzen 5 3600 isn't a hot chip. A C14S or U9S will handle the cooling nicely. No need for AIO.

I have this motherboard, but not the Noctua NH-C14S cooler. So not sure about the clearance. However I tried the U9S, which fits without any hiccup. It performs at least as good as the C14S.

The SSD choices are good. I see in another forum someone use a Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4 M.2 SSD. That thing runs super hot. And it cooks the chipset togeher with it. Like running 70C when idling. I have the 970 Pro, which idles at 35C, and never gets hotter than 50C even under heavy write. I see the extra speed from Gen 4 SSD doesn't provide real world benefit in many scenario. I'm happy to stick with the slower NVMe drives, like the 970 EVO for now.

If you aren't a diehard gamer, Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti is a good choice given your budget.

Last edited:

Midium

Cable Smoosher
Aug 22, 2019
Your PSU is way to big. I am using a Corsair 450W SFX in my NCase together with a R7 2700X and a GTX 1070. This PSU should be fine for you too. Even under heavy load you are probably around 300W.
The fastest GPU around 250€ should be a Vega 56. It is not the newest generation and pretty power-hungry. But if you undervolt it the performance is great. A GTX 1660 Ti should be your choice if you want a better out of the box experience

Last edited:

ShinjiLeery

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks to all for the replies.

I guess i'll go with the c14s because it's cooler :) and reading this post

it's more efficient than the u9s so i believe it could run quieter since it's more powerful. i would just to check the clearance with RAM e motherboard.

i could go with the SF600 as PSU, since the 750 it's a bit an overkill, but i always thought that if the PSU runs more efficient not close to the max.
for the 1660ti do you have any suggestions about which brand to go for a better cooling and noise experience?

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Oct 19, 2019
You'll be fine with the C14S. I have it on my build. I took off the manual overclock on my 3900X and turned on PBO and AOC in BIOS. Now I'm idling between 45-50. CPU hits 84 degrees at load on AIDA 64 just shy of 4GHz on average, but would probably boost higher with better cooling. I'm seeing brief single core boosts higher than that.

Seems that Ryzen will boost the clock as high as it will go until the temp hits around 85 degrees or so. Waiting on a 92mm fan for the back of the case to see if I can get higher boost clocks.

The 750 may run more quietly than the 600. At idle and during light loads, my PSU fan doesn't even turn on.

ShinjiLeery

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks all for the replies!

About the CPU cooler i would like to use a full fan under the heatsink to have better cooling but i know that there could be clearance issue. From the noctua side it says that there's 40mm clearance in low profile mode. any commendation for a DDR4 3200 or 3600 that fits with no issue?

I saw lots of vids where the cooler is mounted with the heatpipes to the back of case. I don't know if there will be any space for another slim fan on the back

P.S. i also read this post about some clearance issue with the motherboard + cooler combo -> https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-x570-c14s-top-panel-issue.11436/#post-172572

Last edited: