Budget ITX slim case alternative suggestions?

ThatGuy333333

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 5, 2019
So I've been following the sff community for a while and am looking for an itx case to put my build into, but i'm not looking to spend $200 on a dan a4 or ghost s1. anyone got some suggestions that are around $100?

My build:
ryzen 5 1600
8gb ddr4 2666
rx vega 64 8g

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
Not sure if this allowed, but there is a Youtuber called Optimum Tech who did a comparison on different itx cases, a month ago. Maybe check it out?

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
You could look at something like a Fractal Node 202 or Node 304...
(converted these are less than $90 based on UK prices, but not sure how that translates to US prices)
It all depends what aesthetic you are looking for, there's so many options it's hard to narrow down.

EDIT: Just noticed the 'Slim' in the title...the Node 202 would be my personal choice.

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019
As I think NZXT H200i would be the most optimal option.

That is a giant case... hardly sff. The two cases he mentioned are the DAN and the Ghost.

What exact Vega 64 model? What PSU do you have? Are you open to exchanging these two parts?

An classic would be the 35€ Silverstone SG05(-lite). 10 years old. 10L. It seems as if everyone has forgotten about it.

Reactions: CountNoctua

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
An classic would be the 35€ Silverstone SG05(-lite). 10 years old. 10L. It seems as if everyone has forgotten about it.

Funnily enough, I have one of those that I've never used... bought 5 years ago, maybe? My first SFF case and it's just sitting here, just never got around to using it, though it's the ideal size for something like a media server or NAS. I really should do a build with it. Good suggestion, assuming OP isn't specifically looking for a vertical/slim (console style) case.

Last edited:

Spud Murphy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 14, 2019
I've been going down the same path, doing a mini ITX ryzen build (2400GE), looking for slim SFF cases and finding nothing worthwhile from the major suppliers. All cases are either the wide "cube" style (no good for what I want) or too large (Node 202, nice case, but has a huge space for a full size GPU card that I'm not installing) or they look like they belong in a bad sci-fi movie - what is it with companies making garish, ugly cases? I did consider the InWin Chopin but because I'm using it on edge, the USB ports would be on the left, up against the 8-bay drive tank, so that's no good (can't easily reconfigure the setup here due to the design of the comp desk). Also looked at a few of the fanless cases, but they are all stupidly expensive or have to be used flat, not standing on edge.

Anyway, after many hours of searching, checking out cases all over the planet, many of which are insanely expensive (your case should not be the most expensive component of your build!) and finding nothing I wanted to use, I checked out what was available from China. Not many options there either, but some lower priced cases that look ok in the format/size I'm after, so I think I'm settled on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32824883952.html but also looking at the smaller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32981077334.html and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2007005529.html but not a lot of room in those last two.

I'm just amazed that there are no decent SFF cases that are:
a) affordable/not overpriced
b) don't look butt ugly or garish
c) have USB ports on the front, not the side or top (what the hell is with putting ports on top, have they never heard of dust?)
d) are the slim SFF format, not the cube format (if I had space for a 200mm wide case I would use a mini tower)

Seems to be a big hole in the market...

Last edited:

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
If you want something that small without dGPU I'd look into NUCs or STX like Asrock A300.

Otherwise, anything from Morex, Inwin, and taobao/aliexpress.

Also take a look at jhack's Pure line.

I wholly agree that it's a unfilled niche. But consider this: you go that small and still need a 3rd party low profile cooler cause your included one won't fit. Now this negates you saving cost on the case in the first place. Unfortunately that's the sff tax.

your case should not be the most expensive component of your build!

I'd agree on this a few years back but after I bought my first 'premium' case I changed my mind. Eventually your pc's innards will need to be updated/upgraded/changed every 4-5 years. But a good, quality case will last you a lifetime, if not more than a couple builds.

Reactions: k0n and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If you want something that small without dGPU I'd look into NUCs or STX like Asrock A300.

Otherwise, anything from Morex, Inwin, and taobao/aliexpress.

Also take a look at jhack's Pure line.

I wholly agree that it's a unfilled niche. But consider this: you go that small and still need a 3rd party low profile cooler cause your included one won't fit. Now this negates you saving cost on the case in the first place. Unfortunately that's the sff tax.

I'd agree on this a few years back but after I bought my first 'premium' case I changed my mind. Eventually your pc's innards will need to be updated/upgraded/changed every 4-5 years. But a good, quality case will last you a lifetime, if not more than a couple builds.
I totally agree on case cost. I still see a lot of people, especially on reddit, that want to stuff a $1500 - $2000 computer in a $50 case.

Spud Murphy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 14, 2019
But a good, quality case will last you a lifetime, if not more than a couple builds.

Actually, that's a good point, but I tend to onsell my old PCs as a complete unit rather than trying to get rid of old MBs etc. I'm hoping my new build will last me at least as long as the current one (6 years).

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
For budget and slim there is the Logic Supply MC 600. It's half the cost of S4 mini at $100 and about the size too (fits only ITX mini cards). The downside is that it's not well ventilated for high-end parts.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Since you mentioned Dan A4 and Ghost S1, I suppose you would prefer a case with a similar internal layout.
There are many such cases in Taobao. Some are relatively expensive but some are quite cheap.
Say, SGPC k99v2. 99 means it is 9.9 litre in volume.
I think, version 1 sold for RMB 299 (US$43) and now v2 sells for RMB 359 (USD 51).
So, you still have about US$50 to cover the shipping cost and import tax.

The video link below shows a sample build of a v1 (but I do not know the difference between v1 and v2 exactly). But this should still be good for reference.