Prototype Borderless Futures: Custom 8L Case project, Version 2 coming soon (Lots of Pics!)

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Hi guys!
I wanted to share a project that I have been working on for some time. Last year I built this PC for a venture capital business class. We designed a mock Kickstarter campaign and I built this prototype as the product. I designed the case, but CAD work was done through UpWork (as I'm not very proficient at CAD) and the case was built by Protocase. At the time I had planned for using a modular motherboard tray and aluminum extrusions for the top and bottom, but this is actually sort of impractical for actual production. The next version of the case will be steel with magnetic dust filters and far smaller in size, probably around 5.5~6L instead of 8. I'd like for the next version to be something in between the Sentry 2.0 and the S4M.
(Side note: I'm planing on launching my company called Borderless Futures soon, but so far it's just an idea.)

Specs on the case:
Material: Extruded aluminum, aluminum panels
Finish: Black Wrinkle Powder Coat
Dimensions: 375mm x 257mm x 88mm
Supports GPUs up to 255mm (I jammed a 257mm one in there and it works)
Coolers up to about 55mm in height.
16mm Momentary Switch
Silverstone 250mm Riser Cable
Removable motherboard tray

I built it around the idea of a brickless HD Plex that could fit a well cooled RTX 2070/80 in it. I use it as an HTPC every day and the system is very stable and isn't too loud. Thermals are managable, but they'd be far better with a vented rear panel. I play most games on medium settings at 1440p, and I've taken the time to tune my fan curves. I really like the modular design of the HD Plex, but I'll likely design the next case for use with a flex ATX power supply and a mount for the HD Plex ATX with the AC-DC being external.

I'm currently going through a redesign for version two. I've learned a lot from making this case! I've been lurking on this forum for a while and you guys have been a major source of information and inspiration as well! So I wanted so say a quick thanks!

Here are the specs on my rig:
Ryzen 5 2600
Noctua L9i
Scythe RGB Fan
Trident RBG Ram, 16GB, 3200 speed
500gb Samsung Evo M.2
Msi Ventus 2070 Super

And finally pictures!!

Thanks for checking out my post!

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Custom cable update!

kareonkables.com worked with me to create some custom cables for the case. I'm very impressed with the fitment! I had a cablemod GPU cable in it before, but never really liked how it routed. So here's some before and after pics!

Before:

After:

I plan on working with them for cable kits for the future.

Last edited:

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
Definitely interested in seeing what the 6L would look like. Not the biggest fan of the panel designs though. Would be nice to at least be able to fit a single SSD in there as well.

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Definitely interested in seeing what the 6L would look like. Not the biggest fan of the panel designs though. Would be nice to at least be able to fit a single SSD in there as well.

I honestly gave the SSD mounting idea some serious thought, like putting it under the HDPlex or above it hiding the wires, but I won't be including a bracket for one unless there's a lot of interest for it in the future. Most new motherboards come with two slots for m.2 storage now, so it makes for a cleaner build with less wires and faster drives. Also the new 8L Console from Sliger doesn't support SSDs either.

Af far as the panels designs go: I know it's different, and that's what I was going for. It won't suit everyone, but it'll flow lots of air and be distinctive. Plus it looks pretty cool all lit up with LEDs from the inside.

Last edited:

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
I honestly gave the SSD mounting idea some serious thought, like putting it under the HDPlex or above it hiding the wires, but I won't be including a bracket for one unless there's a lot of interest for it in the future. Most new motherboards come with two slots for m.2 storage now, so it makes for a cleaner build with less wires and faster drives. Also the new 8L Console from Sliger doesn't support SSDs either.

Af far as the panels designs go: I know it's different, and that's what I was going for. It won't suit everyone, but it'll flow lots of air and be distinctive. Plus it looks pretty cool all lit up with LEDs from the inside.

I looove the aesthetics and concept of the Console, but the GPU bracket hanging off the bottom of the case and no SSD support kinda turned me away from it considering the size. Worst case scenario in your design, with an ITX GPU, I should be able to use some double sided tape to stick an SSD in there it looks like.

I'm just paranoid about things getting into the case through the big vents XD and it would showcase my terrible cable management :p

will be following progress!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I looove the aesthetics and concept of the Console, but the GPU bracket hanging off the bottom of the case and no SSD support kinda turned me away from it considering the size. Worst case scenario in your design, with an ITX GPU, I should be able to use some double sided tape to stick an SSD in there it looks like.

I'm just paranoid about things getting into the case through the big vents XD and it would showcase my terrible cable management :p

LOL same here... I really have no idea why Console is designed such that the GPU bracket hangs off that way.

Why I also think that 2.5" drive is still required: there are people who store big ass media files. Think videographers, multimedia creators, etc.

I always at least have 2 drives: one for my OS + softwares, and one for data. This is a hard rule for me, so that if anything happen to the OS (virus etc), I can easily format the drive & re-install things.

Reactions: vvv

Daniel.f2277

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2020
Reason against 2.5 hard drive space: Market heavily adopting nvme

Also using a NAS is cost effective, and can hold more drives but of course that takes up more space.

It depends on gigs per physical volume, or gigs per price, not usually both don't u think?

Daniel.f2277

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2020
I like the design OP, keep with it.
I think it would be easy to DIY a mesh grill into the case, and maybe even some inner walls to keep the heat flowing out.

Reactions: jetmanblack

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
LOL same here... I really have no idea why Console is designed such that the GPU bracket hangs off that way.

Why I also think that 2.5" drive is still required: there are people who store big ass media files. Think videographers, multimedia creators, etc.

I always at least have 2 drives: one for my OS + softwares, and one for data. This is a hard rule for me, so that if anything happen to the OS (virus etc), I can easily format the drive & re-install things.

I personally always used an external HDD when I worked as a real estate photographer, so I hear you about backups. Though like Daniel.f2277 said the market really is picking up on NVMe. And with most motherboards (even ITX) now offering two slots that's potentially 16TB terabytes of onboard storage (there's 8TB sticks out there now!). Anything like professional 4k video work I'd definitely back up externally or through a network. Used to use a paid google drive subscription. You could also use an NVMe as a thumb drive too! So while the 2.5 is still very much in use, I think we're gonna see them phased out in the next few years.

Plus like VVV said there's always double sided tape! ?

Reactions: ignsvn

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019

Oh man, I agree! I think the Console is beautiful! But the GPU stand offs are kinda meh. I'm sure they are fine in practice though. Its really more a matter of the PCIe riser cable. Most of them have those two mounting holes. So there's not much that can be done. Even other company's vertical mounting brackets use the same method.

I've actually got a spare ITX GPU so I'll go ahead and do that! I don't know if I have a 2.5 lying around but I'll look.

I'll be doing a dust filter on the next version. I did a makeshift one and it worked out ok. With the large vents the dust filter didn't affect temperatures too much.

(with the makeshift dust mesh)

As far as cable managment goes: It just means you need to get better at it! lol J/K I got in touch with Kareonkables for short run cables that make things super clean. I'll post a few pics here soon.

Thanks for following!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel.f2277

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
Reason against 2.5 hard drive space: Market heavily adopting nvme

Also using a NAS is cost effective, and can hold more drives but of course that takes up more space.

It depends on gigs per physical volume, or gigs per price, not usually both don't u think?

Agreed and agreed. I've never used a NAS, but they use it at my dad's company. Depending on the needs it can be super useful.

Most of us that build SFF PCs spend a bit more to make them so small, so the 2.5 drive idea doesn't appeal to me personally. I'd rather spend a bit more to eliminate the wires and have a faster drive. But for performance to price to size the 2.5 SSD is still pretty awesome. If there's lots of feedback for it then maybe I'll do a bracket. I might do an interal USB NVMe thing also.

jetmanblack

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
I like the design OP, keep with it.
I think it would be easy to DIY a mesh grill into the case, and maybe even some inner walls to keep the heat flowing out.

Thanks!!

I'll definatly have an option for a dust filter a several people have asked me about that. Mesh might be kinda cool too, cases are made for modding so I'd love to see what people do to customize theirs!

The next version will have more ventelation and the GPU will be above the MB for better dissipation. Also I don't think I'll have the HD Plex ACDC internally as it doen't help with heat (though being brickless is pretty cool).