Best quiet cooler for: SM560 + i7-8700k ?

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
I bought the alpenfön blackridge but i am not satisfied with it, its too loud and too hot. I dont OC.

I was looking at getting the Noctua L9i but according to the website its not compatible / not cooling the CPU enough.

So does anybody know a good and quiet alternative for my i7-8700k?

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
whats your cpu height limit?

EDIT im dumb

Which side panel for the sm560 do you have?
The vented ones / all vented
Maximum of 55mm tall CPU coolers
i have 2 noctua fans at the bottom of the case

Last edited:

Dapuma

Average Stuffer
May 18, 2019
Do you have the space for an AIO? I mean they're not as quiet as a quiet air cooler, but they aren't far off if you have a noctua or something

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I believe Id-cooling is-60 is 55mm and a pretty solid performer. However I'd be afraid of turbulence....

EDIT: Googled "id-cooling is-60 sm560" to what others thought. And if you want to use it, you need the one with fan clips not screws. I didn't see anything about turbulence... (Source):
C7g, axp90(newly released on taobao), or the blackridge are all solid options. (All with a nf-a9x14 fan swap, but ten you'd be looking at ~70USD+ for you cooler when both the fan and cooler and shipping it all taken into account, where the IS-60 is ~40 USD) :)

You could also try the l12s in semi passive mode since the heatsink is only 55mm tall. Your dual fans as the bottom could provide air flow up. It is shown here: And here:

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I believe Id-cooling is-60 is 55mm and a pretty solid performer. However I'd be afraid of turbulence....

EDIT: Googled "id-cooling is-60 sm560" to what others thought. And if you want to use it, you need the one with fan clips not screws. I didn't see anything about turbulence... (Source):
C7g, axp90(newly released on taobao), or the blackridge are all solid options. (All with a nf-a9x14 fan swap, but ten you'd be looking at ~70USD+ for you cooler when both the fan and cooler and shipping it all taken into account, where the IS-60 is ~40 USD) :)

You could also try the l12s in semi passive mode since the heatsink is only 55mm tall. Your dual fans as the bottom could provide air flow up. It is shown here: And here:
I am using an IS-60 to cool a 3600x in my SM550, works very well. Turbulence is very mild, I hear a low whooshing sound kind of like wind noise. Mine came with screws holding the fan so I just bought some 4mm M3 hex head screws and mounted the fan like this.