Cooling Best Low-Profile CPU Cooler on the Market?

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Apologies for digging up this thread. I'm intrigued by the LP53's cooling capabilities for a potential Zaber Sentry, but the motherboard compatibility issues Zerofool brought up earlier has me concerned. I'm using an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 ITX and there is a VRM heat sink on the side of the CPU (https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...g-itx-ac-intel-motherboard-review/index2.html). Would the copper heat pipes run into problems with this? I'd like to keep the heat sink fins parallel to the RAM, but it looks like the only way the LP53 would fit is if the fins are perpendicular.

Does anyone else have any insight on this? My other option was to pick up a Noctua NH-L9i, which seems to work better than a Cryorig C7 (which I already have, but replaced with a Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B in my current case). But I'm also trying to see if the Silverstone AR05 is a decent alternative as well.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
AR05 is a worse cooler. It's only worth it if you're building something that requires less than 50W and penny pinching.

You probably can't do LP53 parallel to RAM. You can try removing and or replacing the VRM with aftermarket heatsinks. Those heat sinks aren't actually that functional. Real heatsinks have high surface area to volume ratio.

You should wait for DAN premium cpu cooler that he will release. Might be what you want.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
Thank you for the suggestions. I'd really like to hang onto my i7-7700K, but I'm not sure if the NH-L9i can handle it even at stock clocks. The DAN cooler looks intriguing, and I also saw that the copper C7 may be releasing soon and that a fan mod might solve the current sound issues.

Speaking of that fan mod, any relation to the maker of this 3D-printed fan adapter? https://www.shapeways.com/product/LSP757C2L/cryorig-c7-92mm-fan-adapter?optionId=62655969

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thank you for the suggestions. I'd really like to hang onto my i7-7700K, but I'm not sure if the NH-L9i can handle it even at stock clocks. The DAN cooler looks intriguing, and I also saw that the copper C7 may be releasing soon and that a fan mod might solve the current sound issues.

Speaking of that fan mod, any relation to the maker of this 3D-printed fan adapter? https://www.shapeways.com/product/LSP757C2L/cryorig-c7-92mm-fan-adapter?optionId=62655969

There is no reason to get rid of it. You can always limit the clocks and try as deep of an undervolt as you can.

Yes. I am the designer of that bracket. It won't help you with the atrocious turbulence inside the case, but it'll help increase the quality of the fan. It does add a bit of height, I believe 1mm so it becomes 48mm. Small zip ties will do the same job, but my adapter help make it look clean.

The DAN cooler will be possible to place the fan under the fins, thus resolving the turbulence issue.

ZeroPucks

Caliper Novice
Nov 28, 2017
I see. Thank you for clarifying the turbulence issue and for your further suggestions.

EDIT: Here's an interesting picture I found on [H]ardForum. A user photographed the LP53 heat sink with a Noctua fan (which looks like it's being tied down with copper wires) on an ASRock z270 itx motherboard. The layout of the z270 looks very similar to the z170 I have, and the fins are parallel to the RAM slots as I was hoping. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-118#post-1043127724

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I see. Thank you for clarifying the turbulence issue and for your further suggestions.

EDIT: Here's an interesting picture I found on [H]ardForum. A user photographed the LP53 heat sink with a Noctua fan (which looks like it's being tied down with copper wires) on an ASRock z270 itx motherboard. The layout of the z270 looks very similar to the z170 I have, and the fins are parallel to the RAM slots as I was hoping. https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...case-project.1832126/page-118#post-1043127724

Looks like not a mm to spare. Worth a try :)

palsystem

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2018
Hi. Regarding lp53. I bought i7 8700k and a4 sfx v1 case. What is the best fan to attach it to this cooler? Can I go for 140mm and would it be more efficient? System is built on ashs mini itx z370 motherboard. Thanks

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hi. Regarding lp53. I bought i7 8700k and a4 sfx v1 case. What is the best fan to attach it to this cooler? Can I go for 140mm and would it be more efficient? System is built on ashs mini itx z370 motherboard. Thanks

Noctua nf a9x14. You don't want to use a bigger fan because then the dead zone would be too over the fins.

palsystem

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2018
I'm planning an 8700k build using a Dan case clone I have coming from Taobao. I plan on getting an Asus ROG STRIX Z370I, however, I just learned the LP53 I have coming will not clear that boards VRM heatsink. Is the Cryorig C7 my next best option?
hi. Im just learning the same after clicked buy. so u sayin that vrm sink is obstructing the lp53? how much? can u bend or cut bit of both to fit it?

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
hi. Im just learning the same after clicked buy. so u sayin that vrm sink is obstructing the lp53? how much? can u bend or cut bit of both to fit it?
Gotta remove the io and the top hestsheak. Also maybe the first ram module's hest spreader .
Use tiny, individual heatsinks for the vrm.

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Do you think Zalman CNPS2X is enough to cool down i5-8400? Or is there any better options within 1U coolers? I don't mean those hair dryers with 10,000 rpm fan.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Here is a great roundup of some of the best low profile CPU coolers for both Intel and AMD sockets https://graphicscardhub.com/best-low-profile-cpu-cooler/

It would help to have more data to back up the listings and show how they compare with each other. It sort of looks like just a big list of specs and stock pictures for each one. Also I'm a little skeptical because it says the AR06 specifically has difficulty installing, but I find it to be one of the easiest to install from that list. It's about the same as the Noctua NH-L9i.

Reactions: Kmpkt

NickIrwin

Case Bender
May 23, 2018
Some important questions I want to ask before giving my recommendation for the best Low Profile Cpu Cooler in the market.

1) Which CPU cooler you are currently using in your PC?

2) Do you have any plans to do overclocking with your PC?

3) What is the height limit of the case you are currently using?

After you answer my questions, if you are not planning to play with overclocking then Zelos is probably one of the in budget option for you. I don't like Popular noctua nh-I9i for one reason and that is it is not suitable for many processors.

You can also refer to this glinkster guy who writes amazing reviews and totally a gaming freak. https://www.glinkster.com/best-low-profile-cpu-coolers/

The Zelos which I am recommending you is nice solid speed cooler and it also doesn't make any noise while running. If you have anything to ask, feel free to comemnt. I am happy to help you.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Some important questions I want to ask before giving my recommendation for the best Low Profile Cpu Cooler in the market.

1) Which CPU cooler you are currently using in your PC?

2) Do you have any plans to do overclocking with your PC?

3) What is the height limit of the case you are currently using?

After you answer my questions, if you are not planning to play with overclocking then Zelos is probably one of the in budget option for you. I don't like Popular noctua nh-I9i for one reason and that is it is not suitable for many processors.

You can also refer to this glinkster guy who writes amazing reviews and totally a gaming freak. https://www.glinkster.com/best-low-profile-cpu-coolers/

The Zelos which I am recommending you is nice solid speed cooler and it also doesn't make any noise while running. If you have anything to ask, feel free to comemnt. I am happy to help you.

Yeah that link is crap. No measurements, no real comparison. Just affiliate farming using SEO summaries.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah that link is crap. No measurements, no real comparison. Just affiliate farming using SEO summaries.
Well...at the end nh-l12S is really good and nh-l9i is also best for constraint area....nothing new..;)

Now for intel/am3, samuel 17 cpu cooler is really good too.

However, PLEASE, don't mention CPU overclocking with low profile cpu cooler. Forget cpu overclocking...main target is at least to make cpu work with proper temperatures and no throttling.

Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Well...at the end nh-l12S is really good and nh-l9i is also best for constraint area....nothing new..;)

Now for intel/am3, samuel 17 cpu cooler is really good too.

However, PLEASE, don't mention CPU overclocking with low profile cpu cooler. Forget cpu overclocking...main target is at least to make cpu work with proper temperatures and no throttling.

You mean you don’t find the “Can a Noctua L9i cool my 8700k OC’ed at 5.0Ghz?” topics funny? ;)

Some days I just want to be like, “Yes it will run flawlessly and should try it immediately!”

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You mean you don’t find the “Can a Noctua L9i cool my 8700k OC’ed at 5.0Ghz?” topics funny? ;)

Some days I just want to be like, “Yes it will run flawlessly and should try it immediately!”
yeah you are right...sometimes we want to answer like that...especially on April's fool day..;);)