Cooling Best Low-Profile CPU Cooler on the Market?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Sorry for again resurrecting the thread, but... would a LP53 perform well with a 120mm fan above it? I was thinking of making a small STX box and just mounting a big static pressure fan that cools the CPU cooler as well as VRM/Mobo Chipset and any M.2 drives directly over the heatsink (maybe a few mm of clearance between fan and fins.) I guess the only thing that worries me is that the heatsink would not get airflow from the whole fan, instead a more isolated section of it.

Probably answered before, but ah well.
With the fan being so much larger than the heatsink, you could either shift the fan sideways to move the centre deadzone away from the heatsink, add a duct to ensure all the airflow makes it to the heatsink, or a combination of the two.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
I'm planning an 8700k build using a Dan case clone I have coming from Taobao. I plan on getting an Asus ROG STRIX Z370I, however, I just learned the LP53 I have coming will not clear that boards VRM heatsink. Is the Cryorig C7 my next best option?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd say yes to the C7. L9i is roughly on par by most metrics as well and comes with a better fan.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
I'd say yes to the C7. L9i is roughly on par by most metrics as well and comes with a better fan.

And it should clear the VRM heatsink on that particular board correct? What fan is recommended to use in place of the stock one it comes with?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you know for certain that the 370i Strix has the same keepout zone as the 270i Strix, I can test all three coolers out for you and let you know if there are any fitment issues. The only one I've had problems on the Z270i Strix was the Silverstone AR05.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
If you know for certain that the 370i Strix has the same keepout zone as the 270i Strix, I can test all three coolers out for you and let you know if there are any fitment issues. The only one I've had problems on the Z270i Strix was the Silverstone AR05.

The Z370I is pretty much identical to the Z270I.

If you could test them (I assume the LP53 is one of the three?), I would greatly appreciate it.

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-strix-z370-i-gaming-mini-itx-motherboard-pictured

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I have the L9i, LP53 and C7 as well as pretty much every other significant cooler on the market. If you want me to fit test anything else let me know.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017
Yeah I have the L9i, LP53 and C7 as well as pretty much every other significant cooler on the market. If you want me to fit test anything else let me know.

I guess I'm most interested in the best performance under 50mm that fits that board. Best performance to noise ratio really.

SFF2008

Caliper Novice
Aug 9, 2017

Sorry to be annoying, but have you tried testing the LP53 on the Strix board?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'll be going into the office on Friday and can check it for you. If memory serves, you can mount it in one orientation with fins perpendicular to the RAM (not optimal) and the fit is incredibly tight.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
Discovered I can get LP53 for £43 delivered here in UK.......But want AM4 adaptors confirmed first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Might get anyway and use on the G3258

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
I wish to try Scythe Kozuti with top 120x12mm slim fan and 92mm slim fan below. Total height will be 52mm.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Working title. I don't know if it'll stick or not. Can't really disclose anything publicly as I'm hoping to patent the key element of the heatsink, but hoping to have prototypes soon. I can say that software simulations in COMSOL are very promising.