Image Credit – SFFN

Greetings all SFFN fans! I wanted to let you know that System 76 has sent us a Thelio for testing. This is their smallest design and runs a customized POP!_OS (Linux). So far testing it has been a lot of fun. I haven’t tried to use a Linux distro in about 20 years so I was initially a bit wary, but System 76 has done a very good job at making the process seamless.  I’m posting this to get some feedback from our members as to what questions you would like to ask System 76.

Continue reading...

Reactions: Phuncz

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
I went to an open house at System 76 about 4 or 5 years ago. They make their cases in house, which is awesome. The only problem I could see with their chassis, was that they were making the rear I/O to specific motherboards cut out directly on the case. So if the motherboard on your system ever died, you couldn't just pop in any motherboard, it had to be the same mobo or something with the exact same rear I/O ports/placement (which never happens). I dunno if they've changed that practice since... It gives a very clean, sexy look, but is terrible from a end user and environmental factor.

Will keep an eye out for your review!

chzbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2022
I went to an open house at System 76 about 4 or 5 years ago. They make their cases in house, which is awesome. The only problem I could see with their chassis, was that they were making the rear I/O to specific motherboards cut out directly on the case. So if the motherboard on your system ever died, you couldn't just pop in any motherboard, it had to be the same mobo or something with the exact same rear I/O ports/placement (which never happens). I dunno if they've changed that practice since... It gives a very clean, sexy look, but is terrible from a end user and environmental factor.

Hey there!

I may have met you there if it was our Superfan event. I just wanted to chime in here to let you know that the System76 Thelio Major will be our first in the line to have a user-replaceable IO backplate. This design will also be added to the entire Thelio line early next year. The new IO backplate will also be manufactured the same way and on the same line as our Thelio chassis. We really do want our customers to get the most out of their Thelio chassis without having to take a Dremel to it.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Hey there!

I may have met you there if it was our Superfan event. I just wanted to chime in here to let you know that the System76 Thelio Major will be our first in the line to have a user-replaceable IO backplate. This design will also be added to the entire Thelio line early next year. The new IO backplate will also be manufactured the same way and on the same line as our Thelio chassis. We really do want our customers to get the most out of their Thelio chassis without having to take a Dremel to it.

Probably, it was a really amazing shindig! I spent most of my time there admiring your cases, lol. (I'm a big case nerd, used to work for Case Labs and before that NZXT)

This is just awesome to hear! Thanks for the info!

Reactions: rfarmer

chzbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2022

Hey XNine!

I just wanted to drop in a quick reply to your post. I may have actually met you at one of our open house events or possibly one of our superfan events. Anyway, I just wanted to drop in a quick note here to let you know that we have actually added removable IO backplates to our Thelio line. Right now it's only available on Thelio Major but will be trickling down to the entire Thelio catalog early next year. So this means when your hardware is a little long in the tooth that you can easily swap out the motherboard and vendor-supplied IO backplate without having to take a Dremel to the chassis. I've also included a link to a quick video with Alex Timmerman (one of our machinists) where he explains some of the changes to the Thelio Major chassis design.

• Love
Reactions: XNine and Revenant

chzbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2022
Hey XNine!

I just wanted to drop in a quick reply to your post. I may have actually met you at one of our open house events or possibly one of our superfan events. Anyway, I just wanted to drop in a quick note here to let you know that we have actually added removable IO backplates to our Thelio line. Right now it's only available on Thelio Major but will be trickling down to the entire Thelio catalog early next year. So this means when your hardware is a little long in the tooth that you can easily swap out the motherboard and vendor-supplied IO backplate without having to take a Dremel to the chassis. I've also included a link to a quick video with Alex Timmerman (one of our machinists) where he explains some of the changes to the Thelio Major chassis design.

That moment when you post a reply because you didn't think your reply was already added. :p

• Haha
Reactions: XNine

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
That moment when you post a reply because you didn't think your reply was already added. :p

Ha! Well, the inclusion of the video is awesome. So it's appreciated :) I just love the way S76 looks at things, updates and improves upon them. I'm no Linux guru, but I really do love your company.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ha! Well, the inclusion of the video is awesome. So it's appreciated :) I just love the way S76 looks at things, updates and improves upon them. I'm no Linux guru, but I really do love your company.
This will be in the upcoming article and video but I wanted to say that Pop!_OS is the first time I've been able to say I could daily drive a Linux machine. Very easy to learn, and very easy to use.

Reactions: XNine

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
This will be in the upcoming article and video but I wanted to say that Pop!_OS is the first time I've been able to say I could daily drive a Linux machine. Very easy to learn, and very easy to use.
You're doing a video too? Nice! Can't wait to see it all! My buddy tried Pop and said he loved it too, I just don't have the time to tinker like I used to.