Asrock X570 ITX/TB3 modded to fit NH-L12S

Roskow

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 31, 2023
I wanted an AM4 motherboard that supports Pcie 4.0 and optical audio. There are only two boards that meet these requirements. The Asrock X570 ITX/TB3 and the MSI B550I Gaming Edge. I ordered the MSI board on the German Amazon in January, but it still hasn't shipped, so I'm pretty sure it's out of stock forever. Therefore, I went with the Asrock board instead.
The thing is that this motherboard has a very strange layout, and it fits very few coolers. It seems widely accepted that the Noctua NH-L9x65 is the only decent low profile cooler that fits the board. However, I want to be able to use a 5800X3D, and the L9x65 is not great for that CPU, as the 3D cache makes the CPU run quite hot.
I got out ye olde Dremel and cut away the part of the IO cover heatsink that was in the way.

This was actually quite a bit of aluminium to cut away.

Now this won't win a beauty contest but at least it fits nicely. I really don't understand why Asrock made this heatsink this large. They could have made it a bit smaller and this board would've fit way more coolers.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Love it! Gets the job done, and fits more stuff in a small space, so we're all for it!