Log NCase M1 v6.1 + Noctua NH-L9x65 - fans?

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
Hi all,

I have an NCase M1 that I bought & tried reselling as I wasn't happy with the first build (using NH-L12).
I'm going to try again & have a NH-L9x65 I can use to make the build process easier due to smaller size.

What I'm wondering is, would a rear intake fan make sense for this configuration?

And, would it make sense to get a NH-NF9 and use that as the primary CPU fan instead of the NF-A9x14 - or even just a pair of be quiets instead?

Already have 4x NF-A12x25 fans (plus a dual-fan NH-U12A).

Current build:

*edit*
Also, does it make sense the change the 2 bottom fans to 120x15mm instead?

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I would change the rear fan to exhaust. The L9 is pulling air in and pushing it through the heatsink fins to the left and right and so having the rear fan set to exhaust would assist in removing the warm air from the heatsink, instead of pushing against it.

Unless you have turbulence causing noise at the bottom, then I don't see a reason to change to 15mm fans. Have you tested your GPU temps without the fans at the bottom at all. I did see something about extra fans stacked close to the GPU fans sometimes working against the GPU fans unless they turn in the opposite direction, which the fans in my NCASE M1 do (and mine do lower my GPU temps).

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
I would change the rear fan to exhaust. The L9 is pulling air in and pushing it through the heatsink fins to the left and right and so having the rear fan set to exhaust would assist in removing the warm air from the heatsink, instead of pushing against it.

Unless you have turbulence causing noise at the bottom, then I don't see a reason to change to 15mm fans. Have you tested your GPU temps without the fans at the bottom at all. I did see something about extra fans stacked close to the GPU fans sometimes working against the GPU fans unless they turn in the opposite direction, which the fans in my NCASE M1 do (and mine do lower my GPU temps).
Would rear intake not assist in bringing cool air IN for the cooler to use?

As to your second point: I do remember thermals with 25mm fans not being great, especially compared to the NR200P I have now.
But surely 15mm thick fans would be good then?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The only way to know would be to test.

While I'm not sure about the 25mm vs 15mm fans for the GPU, I'm fairly certain that having a rear fan set to exhaust will improve temps.

I've seen a number of SFF builds where setting all the fans to exhaust yields the best temps. The ghetto mods for graphics cards in the same position as yours is in the NCASE has the fans set to exhaust too, but that does require the stock fans on the GPU to be removed, and replaced with 25mm fans. and this isn't an option with your Founders Edition GPU.

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
I ended up snagging a NH-U9S tower for cheap so will use that instead.

Definitely will run tests for 25mm GPU fans on/off before buying slim fans.

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
I ended up snagging a NH-U9S tower for cheap so will use that instead.

Definitely will run tests for 25mm GPU fans on/off before buying slim fans.
Aaaand... ended up using the space below the GPU for cable management instead.

Temps are... okay. Still waiting on the second NF-A9 to replace them NF-AFx14 to push air out.

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
After lots of testing (120mm bottom intakes on & off, NH-U9S intake vs exhaust, etc) I've come to the conclusion that...
I don't like this case with high-TDP GPUs 😅

Rebuilt back into my NR200P.
I've put it up for sale locally but I doubt anyone will buy it, so inevitably it will be used for a low-end build in 1-2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
After lots of testing (120mm bottom intakes on & off, NH-U9S intake vs exhaust, etc) I've come to the conclusion that...
I don't like this case with high-TDP GPUs 😅

Rebuilt back into my NR200P.
I've put it up for sale locally but I doubt anyone will buy it, so inevitably it will be used for a low-end build in 1-2 years.

I've had more issues with my CPU temps (also using the U9S) than the GPU temps.

I'm going to try a 240mm AiO (fans set to exhaust) in my NCASE M1 soon, which I'm certain will get my CPU temps under control, but I'll see how the GPU fairs.

I've built into the NR200P and that extra volume does make air cooling a lot easier. I used a Scythe FUMA 2 and it's a tight fit, but a great air cooler for that case.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I notice you ditched the slim 92mm rear fan in your last NCase setup above?
Did you check if it had any effect in exhaust or intake?

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
I notice you ditched the slim 92mm rear fan in your last NCase setup above?
Did you check if it had any effect in exhaust or intake?
The SI-100 seems to be doing a decent enough job of cooling the CPU, and the downdraft position should give some passive VRM cooling too.

Main reason I got rid of the 92mm rear was for noise - if I flipped the cooler 180, I could add an NF-A9 though.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The SI-100 seems to be doing a decent enough job of cooling the CPU, and the downdraft position should give some passive VRM cooling too.

Main reason I got rid of the 92mm rear was for noise - if I flipped the cooler 180, I could add an NF-A9 though.
Ok I see, thanks for the info!
I will be interested in what you find if you happen to add the rear fan later on.

I have a more 'budget' NCase build on the run where I will do such checks when I find time to. Will update my thread with the results and the final cooling setup.

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
Some cable management

BEFORE

AFTER

2x NF-A12x25 on bottom for GPU intake
1x NF-A9 set to rear exhaust
1x NF-A12x25 on Thermalright SI-100 set to side intake
1x NF-A12x25 on front side set to exhaust
and Corsair SF750 with fan inside to help exhaust

Reactions: BaK

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
Nice improvement! :cool:

From what I see on the left of your two last pics, I guess you mean "1x NF-A12x25 on side panel front position set to intake"
I tried it as intake, but put it back in exhaust (same as before).
Didn't do any A-B tests but I figure it makes more sense to exhaust hot GPU air out instead of letting it hit the CPU.

kikimaru024

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 12, 2022
Can't remember off-hand, but it's an NZXT unit with a liquid temp sensor.
So what I can do is set the fans to align with the liquid temp, and only ramp up when that hits 39C.
And it takes a long time for the rad to soak enough to need that.

Setup:
2x NF-A12x25 as GPU intake (bottom)
2x NF-A12x25 as radiator intake (side)
1x NF-A9 as exhaust (rear)