Advice Attempting my smallest build yet • inter-Tech MW-02

Mystic_Guardian

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Hi all!

After completing various SFF builds over the years to serve specific purposes I think I'm finally ready to start a project purely for the sake of it. I was inspired by tiny cases such as Streacom F1C and InWin BQ656 being sub 5L but still having ODD compatibility (the reason I locked in Ncase as endgame was actually due to this feature). Unfortunately when exploring these extremely niche chassis the build logs, guides and reviews I use to plan builds are virtually non-existent.

https://www.inter-tech.de/productdetails-155/MW-02_II_EN.html

So I've got a few questions I'd like to ask of the community before I go throwing my life savings at ITX motherboards again:

• Has anyone attempted to build in the Inter-Tech MW-01 / Inter-Tech MW-02 or similar layout frame?
• The case has an unusual power solution I'm not familiar with (using external PSU). Where can I learn more about how these function and go about finding a compatible unit?
• I expect thermal issues/limitations in this case (which I may solve with some hacky mesh/fan modding) so may have to consider low-end hardware to make cooling viable. Is there a master list of 'true' TDP ratings (vs marketing) for most desktop processors? For context I'm currently looking at a 2200g or 3400g if I can find it cheap.
• Am I crazy? Is there a similar sized case that's more common and/or easier to work with?

I may end up just building in the BQ656 if I can't work this stuff out since I've found a cheap once in NZ. It is very similar to the Chopin which didn't really challenge me though...

Thanks for your support as always team! I've been lurking and appreciating for years.

MG.

Edit: Working shortlist of interesting cases I've found so far in case someone else has similar needs to mine.
- Rgeek A80
- Relean E-I7
- Origen AE M10
- MS-Tech MC-80BL
- Silverstone ML10B
- NesteQ ms550
- Nox Vexa

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I don't think you will have a problem powering something up to 3400G with this unit.
The web page isn't very detailed about the power supply, it doesn't say whether the external power 'brick' is supplied or not nor a power rating for the internal PSU board.

That board looks like a number of internal 12V (or 19V maybe...) in power supply boards and I would be surprised if it can't cope with a 3400G.
For comparison, the Asrock Deskmini runs a 120W power brick an that is fine for all the AMD APUs unless you're OCing a 5x00G

https://www.computeruniverse.net/ shows a 90W inter-tech power brick on the same page as the MW02-II and the Kitguru review showed a 105W power draw for 3400G on Cinebench.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
It's a nice looking case, but to state the obvious the slim ODD* bay will block the cpu cooler. You have 40mm to play around with so your cooler options could be the Noctua L9a/i, the Thermalright AXP-90 X36 or the Metalfish z39 for example.

If you want to upgrade the PSU I would look into Mini-Box. They have plug-in PSU options that would work with an external brick. HDPlex's solutions might be a bit big. Of course though it can get pricey, you might need to import it.

(*That said, nothing wrong with the ODD bay. You could put a Blu-Ray, an Icy Dock hotswap bay or Silverstone have a solution that lets you fit an extra Sata M.2 with some extra usb ports.)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

That's the spirit 😁

So I've got a few questions I'd like to ask of the community before I go throwing my life savings at ITX motherboards again:

• Has anyone attempted to build in the Inter-Tech MW-01 / Inter-Tech MW-02 or similar layout frame?
• The case has an unusual power solution I'm not familiar with (using external PSU). Where can I learn more about how these function and go about finding a compatible unit?
• I expect thermal issues/limitations in this case (which I may solve with some hacky mesh/fan modding) so may have to consider low-end hardware to make cooling viable. Is there a master list of 'true' TDP ratings (vs marketing) for most desktop processors? For context I'm currently looking at a 2200g or 3400g if I can find it cheap.
• Am I crazy? Is there a similar sized case that's more common and/or easier to work with?

I may end up just building in the BQ656 if I can't work this stuff out since I've found a cheap once in NZ. It is very similar to the Chopin which didn't really challenge me though...

OK first I hope you aren't really going to throw your life savings for another ITX motherboard.

Now on your questions;
- I never worked with that case. The only similar one I worked with before is this one https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/goodisory-a01-review/
- It seems that that case has DC-ATX PSU included. This means you only need to get the AC-DC converter (adapter, in a nutshell). You need to check whether the the DC-ATX is 12v or 19.5v system, then get the AC-DC adapter accordingly (in a nutshell, 12v is common in audio, router, printer, while 19.5v is usually used by laptops).
- After you know whether you need 12v or 19.5v, calculate your watt requirement and find the AC-DC adapter accordingly.
- Agree that thermals won't be great. In the Goodisory A01 review, I use Athlon 3000G, which is a 35w CPU.
- No you're not crazy.

My advice:
- Personally I prefer plug-type DC-ATX unit, such as this one https://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT - it plugs directly to your motherboard 24 pin ATX jack, so less cable thus easier to build.
- BQ6565 is also OK, but PSU seem to be custom by InWin
- If you need ODD, you can try Silverstone SG05 or SG08. They use SFX PSU. But they are obviously bigger.

Mystic_Guardian

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
It's a nice looking case, but to state the obvious the slim ODD* bay will block the cpu cooler. You have 40mm to play around with so your cooler options could be the Noctua L9a/i, the Thermalright AXP-90 X36 or the Metalfish z39 for example.

If you want to upgrade the PSU I would look into Mini-Box. They have plug-in PSU options that would work with an external brick. HDPlex's solutions might be a bit big. Of course though it can get pricey, you might need to import it.
Tiny ODD is the entire concept behind this build. While it's not necesarrily gonna be an HTPC I want to maximise utility in a tiny case. ODD + USB A + SD + USB C would be ideal, in order of priority. I'm almost entirely set on l9a/l9i unless similar/better temps can be achieved with a different cooler.

Thanks for the Mini-Box tip, I only know of PicoPSU before this.
There is also a barebones route. Like a Shuttle XH610/XH610V?
That barebones is gorgeous (literally perfect i/o) but I hate the idea of being locked into a non-standard motherboard and I have already paid too much for the motherboard I'll be using in this build lol (Asus b450i).
- I never worked with that case. The only similar one I worked with before is this one https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/goodisory-a01-review/
Thanks looks like I can take some lessons from the goodisory build! Thanks.

I've already acquired my Asus itx motherboard and a 5600G (somehow was cheaper than 3400g) and currently am considering the Streacom F7C v2 (non-evo/alpha/fanless) since it has slightly more space (ironic that space is a plus on this forum but I'm trying to avoid a thermal nightmare here).
I'm wondering if there's a way to swap the front pcb (2 x Usb A) for 1 or 2 seperate USB A + USB C... more cables but more utility!

Also since I live in NZ I'm probably gonna grab a BQ656 to draft the build as all other cases I'm interested are impossible to find (import is $$$).

Last edited: