News ASUS Z370-I Gaming

Someone got early access to review that board :eek:

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
well, the board's layout is identical with strix z270i gaming, and EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock also compatible, but the block won't make contact with the inductors because rog strix Z370i gaming's inductors are lower than strix z270i gaming, just use thicker thermal pad, or stack the thermal pad and it's done,,

Reactions: odeniz

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2017
Just get my Asus Z370-I gaming. It's realy a good board.

I tried to tuned my RAM, it may interest someone so here the best config i could achieve with 2x16Gb Corsair LPX 4000Mhz:

BIOS 404:
3466 15-15-15-35 1T (According to AIDA : 49671Mb/s read, 45ns latency)
Can't get higher then 3466 even with high timing
XMP profile not working
3866 working with only one stick of ram

BIOS 426:
3200 13-13-13-33 1T
3466 15-15-15-35 2T
3700 16-16-16-36 2T
3800 18-19-19-39 2T (According to AIDA : 51940Mb/s read, 49.3ns latency)
Can't get higher then 3800even with high timing
XMP profile not working

So i will get back to 404. Not only for ram, my 8700k frequency are better under full AVX load.

Last edited:

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
Just get my Asus Z370-I gaming. It's realy a good board.

I tried to tuned my RAM, it may interest someone so here the best config i could achieve with 2x16Gb Corsair LPX 4000Mhz:

BIOS 404:
3466 15-15-15-35 1T (According to AIDA : 49671Mb/s read, 45ns latency)
Can't get higher then 3466 even with high timing
XMP profile not working
3866 working with only one stick of ram

BIOS 426:
3200 13-13-13-33 1T
3466 15-15-15-35 2T
3700 16-16-16-36 2T
3800 18-19-19-39 2T (According to AIDA : 51940Mb/s read, 49.3ns latency)
Can't get higher then 3800even with high timing
XMP profile not working

So i will get back to 404. Not only for ram, my 8700k frequency are better under full AVX load.

so the 8700k will get higher freq with bios 404 than 426?
but in this video, looks like asus rog strix z370 lines up got some problem about load line callibration,

my question : do you face the same problem like tom does?

anyway i have bought EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock, the good news is I haven't bought the rog strix z270i gaming, but the bad news is currently this board not yet available in my country, and i dont this board will enter indonesia's market or not? I wish this board will also available in my country, if not, i think i have to buy online from newegg or amazon,,
well I'm glad, the color tone of the board not red, or red black, I'm really bored to see red black for gaming board line up, at least now they put silver and black for they gaming board line up

Last edited:

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2017
so the 8700k will get higher freq with bios 404 than 426?
but in this video, looks like asus rog strix z370 lines up got some problem about load line callibration,

No, i get higher freq with 426. With 404 i achieved 3866 but it's with one stick, with two stick of ram maximum i achieved is 3466. With 426 and two stick of ram i achieved maximum of 3800, i didn't test with only one stick.

However i prefer 404 BIOS, because i can get 1T command rate at 3466 CL15. With 426 i can only achieve 3200 CL13 with 1T wich give worse bandwith and on par for latency. Or 3800 CL18 with 2T wich give better bandwith and far worse latency. So i choose latency over a small amount of bandwith.

Keep in mind i use 16Gb stick, result may be different with 8Gb stick.

And there is a second reason i choose 404, which led to your second question.

my question : do you face the same problem like tom does?

anyway i have bought EK-FB ASUS Z270I Strix RGB Monoblock, the good news is I haven't bought the rog strix z270i gaming, but the bad news is currently this board not yet available in my country, and i dont this board will enter indonesia's market or not? I wish this board will also available in my country, if not, i think i have to buy online from newegg or amazon,,
well I'm glad, the color tone of the board not red, or red black, I'm really bored to see red black for gaming board line up, at lease now they put silver and black for they gaming board line up

He is true, i don't know why but it seems Asus choose to use very High and aggressive voltage (and other reviewer state the same for other Asus Mainboard) and for LLC (load line calibration) it's true too. But i don't care about LLC as i m using offset vcore for tuning and undervolting at stock frequency. It just take a bit more time to find the best configuration. LLC is used when you start overclocking with static vcore.
He is also true about XMP profile,if you use it, it's even worse, some Auto-Overclock is set on and voltage take a huge +0.100V increment by default.
It seems they change a little bit this with 426 (wich came out the 10/20 and you video is 10/13) but i don't like it.

I don't like it because, Ok voltage came down but frequency at Load came down too sometimes by a huge margin.
Under Prime95 Small FFT (worst case scenario) with 404 BIOS i can maintain 4.3Ghz (Max frequency on all core) with some tuning on vcore. But with 426 and same tuning i only achieve 3.9-4.0Ghz at load with almost same power consumption.

I also noticed a vcore peak at start where frequency start at 4.3Ghz during 7 second but power consumption was higher too by a good margin. Maybe it means LLC is working, i didn't check much.

So for those reason i choose the 404 BIOS,if you tune it, it's far better than 426.

I did a some test of 8700k on this motherboard if you want to check : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i7-8700k-delided-and-silver-ihs-from-der8auer-team.3444/

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0 and psycho88

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
No, i get higher freq with 426. With 404 i achieved 3866 but it's with one stick, with two stick of ram maximum i achieved is 3466. With 426 and two stick of ram i achieved maximum of 3800, i didn't test with only one stick.

However i prefer 404 BIOS, because i can get 1T command rate at 3466 CL15. With 426 i can only achieve 3200 CL13 with 1T wich give worse bandwith and on par for latency. Or 3800 CL18 with 2T wich give better bandwith and far worse latency. So i choose latency over a small amount of bandwith.

Keep in mind i use 16Gb stick, result may be different with 8Gb stick.

And there is a second reason i choose 404, which led to your second question.

He is true, i don't know why but it seems Asus choose to use very High and aggressive voltage (and other reviewer state the same for other Asus Mainboard) and for LLC (load line calibration) it's true too. But i don't care about LLC as i m using offset vcore for tuning and undervolting at stock frequency. It just take a bit more time to find the best configuration. LLC is used when you start overclocking with static vcore.
He is also true about XMP profile,if you use it, it's even worse, some Auto-Overclock is set on and voltage take a huge +0.100V increment by default.
It seems they change a little bit this with 426 (wich came out the 10/20 and you video is 10/13) but i don't like it.

I don't like it because, Ok voltage came down but frequency at Load came down too sometimes by a huge margin.
Under Prime95 Small FFT (worst case scenario) with 404 BIOS i can maintain 4.3Ghz (Max frequency on all core) with some tuning on vcore. But with 426 and same tuning i only achieve 3.9-4.0Ghz at load with almost same power consumption.

I also noticed a vcore peak at start where frequency start at 4.3Ghz during 7 second but power consumption was higher too by a good margin. Maybe it means LLC is working, i didn't check much.

So for those reason i choose the 404 BIOS,if you tune it, it's far better than 426.

I did a some test of 8700k on this motherboard if you want to check : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i7-8700k-delided-and-silver-ihs-from-der8auer-team.3444/

very nice and detail info, thank you, and I really appreaciate it, well I'm planning on using 16GB RAM (2x8),
do you have any tutorial or guidance video for this OC methode? i'm still lil bit confuse LoL

Maestria

Average Stuffer
Jun 8, 2017
I m not expert in oc but i can tell you a little bit about my method :D

For Memory :
First i set XMP profile. Then i start to UP frequency and release timing to find Max frequency until Motherboard doesn't POST (BIOS not booting).
Once i have max frequency i start to tune timing at this frequency. I turn down CAS latency first by one increment at a time, if it POST, i turn down by one increment other timing. If it still POST then again i turn down CAS by one and so on.
This gives Max frequency at Min timing.

Then i turn command rate to 1T and with same method i try to find Max frequency and Min timing.
Once i have those information, i try to boot to windows and i use AIDA to test stability. If it's not, i release a bit timing. Then i compare perf i get from 1T and 2T and i choose the lowest latency over highest bandwith if bandwith gain are low.

For CPU :

Undervolting at stock (my way for SFF) :
It's not overclocking, you won't get higher frequency but lower powerconsumption, so less heat, so less noise and higher lifetime for your CPU.
I use offset for this. Wich means i let the CPU operate exactly the same way he is supposed to do : he adjust his voltage to every of it's possible frequency. But i set an offset to his voltage configuration to use less power.
So in BIOS i set offset to something like -0.1v. If it POST, i validate fast with 5min in Prime95 (Small FFT). Then i try to turn it a little down until it crash. Then i go up like 0.01v up until it didn't crash. I validate a bit more. If it work i still turn my offset a little up (0.01v) to take a margin. This way i never faced any instability.

OC :
You can use the offset method but it's a lot more tricky and you can't get every Mhz you can with static voltage.
So every tutorial use static voltage with LLC tuning.

First thing to do is minimize your Vdrop. Vdrop is the difference between the vcore you set and effectively get. It's were LLC is used, you up LLC until vdrop is minimal.

Then you can up frequency (by tuning Ratio Multiplier and BCLK, usualy BCLK can't go up very far) until you get instability. Once you have instability you up the Vcore and minimize Vdrop (LLC up). Check Heat when you up Vcore. Max temp i recommend is 90°C and max voltage is 1.4v.

Reactions: br3nd0

psycho88

Average Stuffer
Jan 18, 2017
I m not expert in oc but i can tell you a little bit about my method :D

For Memory :
First i set XMP profile. Then i start to UP frequency and release timing to find Max frequency until Motherboard doesn't POST (BIOS not booting).
Once i have max frequency i start to tune timing at this frequency. I turn down CAS latency first by one increment at a time, if it POST, i turn down by one increment other timing. If it still POST then again i turn down CAS by one and so on.
This gives Max frequency at Min timing.

Then i turn command rate to 1T and with same method i try to find Max frequency and Min timing.
Once i have those information, i try to boot to windows and i use AIDA to test stability. If it's not, i release a bit timing. Then i compare perf i get from 1T and 2T and i choose the lowest latency over highest bandwith if bandwith gain are low.

For CPU :

Undervolting at stock (my way for SFF) :
It's not overclocking, you won't get higher frequency but lower powerconsumption, so less heat, so less noise and higher lifetime for your CPU.
I use offset for this. Wich means i let the CPU operate exactly the same way he is supposed to do : he adjust his voltage to every of it's possible frequency. But i set an offset to his voltage configuration to use less power.
So in BIOS i set offset to something like -0.1v. If it POST, i validate fast with 5min in Prime95 (Small FFT). Then i try to turn it a little down until it crash. Then i go up like 0.01v up until it didn't crash. I validate a bit more. If it work i still turn my offset a little up (0.01v) to take a margin. This way i never faced any instability.

OC :
You can use the offset method but it's a lot more tricky and you can't get every Mhz you can with static voltage.
So every tutorial use static voltage with LLC tuning.

First thing to do is minimize your Vdrop. Vdrop is the difference between the vcore you set and effectively get. It's were LLC is used, you up LLC until vdrop is minimal.

Then you can up frequency (by tuning Ratio Multiplier and BCLK, usualy BCLK can't go up very far) until you get instability. Once you have instability you up the Vcore and minimize Vdrop (LLC up). Check Heat when you up Vcore. Max temp i recommend is 90°C and max voltage is 1.4v.

thanks alot mate for your guidance, once i get the board, I will try your method,
this guidance will be helpfull to me since i'm a noob, XD