Other Asus ROG Strix B450-I fan xpert 4 crash my PC

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
So I bought the ROG Strix B450-I, after reading a lot of rave for it. Paid quite a premium over my old Asrock, but I thought everything will be smooth sailing... Until I set up the fan...

So long story short, whenever I tried to setup the fan curve, on the BIOS Q-fan setting or the desktop app through Asus own Fan Xpert 4, my PC crashes. Very exasperating. Currently my setup is two linked fans, Noctua NFA14 PWM intake and Corsair LL 120 with corsair link active to display temp as exhaust. One CPU fan for Coolermaster Master liquid lite 120 and one pump. The first time I had the crash, there's a warning about incorrect fan pin header, so I checked, and everything is connected properly. If I choose the preset speed I have no issue, but when I try to fondle the manual curve, give or take 30 seconds, then my PC crashes.

Just last night I totally rave the motherboard with the Aura Sync lighting and gazillion BIOS options... Only to come up quite short on the fan setup... Which is a total deal breaker since I set my fan curve on my old motherboard (Asrock AB350 ITX) with zero issue.

Frankly this is my first Asus motherboard ever so I'm not too familiar with all of its options. Anyone has experience with Asus motherboards?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
So I bought the ROG Strix B450-I, after reading a lot of rave for it. Paid quite a premium over my old Asrock, but I thought everything will be smooth sailing... Until I set up the fan...

So long story short, whenever I tried to setup the fan curve, on the BIOS Q-fan setting or the desktop app through Asus own Fan Xpert 4, my PC crashes. Very exasperating. Currently my setup is two linked fans, Noctua NFA14 PWM intake and Corsair LL 120 with corsair link active to display temp as exhaust. One CPU fan for Coolermaster Master liquid lite 120 and one pump. The first time I had the crash, there's a warning about incorrect fan pin header, so I checked, and everything is connected properly. If I choose the preset speed I have no issue, but when I try to fondle the manual curve, give or take 30 seconds, then my PC crashes.

Just last night I totally rave the motherboard with the Aura Sync lighting and gazillion BIOS options... Only to come up quite short on the fan setup... Which is a total deal breaker since I set my fan curve on my old motherboard (Asrock AB350 ITX) with zero issue.

Frankly this is my first Asus motherboard ever so I'm not too familiar with all of its options. Anyone has experience with Asus motherboards?
I can only comment on my ASUS Impact VI motherboard, but I had to use their AI Suite 3 software to control the fan curves and it doesn't really work with Win10 and ASUS seemingly hasn't put any effort in getting it to work. I think the Fan Xpert 4 was part of that suite of software, right?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Which version of Fan Xpert 4 are you using?
IMHO, when installing a new Asus motherboard, it is best to use the bundled Asus CD to install all drivers and utilities. Some people do not agree and skip the CD and go to Asus website to download the latest ones. My practice is, unless there is problem or I wish to have new additional features, it is better to use the 'proven' workable ones supplied by the CD.

Anyway, to start your diagnosis, may I suggest you testing each fan and fan header individually?
One oddity I see is that 'two linked fans'. That is, the Noctua NFA14 PWM fan and the Corsair LL 120 fan. They are linked but both are PWM. Could this be a cause of conflict? In general, it is not a good idea to link two different fans together as their characteristics are not identical.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Anyway, to start your diagnosis, may I suggest you testing each fan and fan header individually?
One oddity I see is that 'two linked fans'. That is, the Noctua NFA14 PWM fan and the Corsair LL 120 fan. They are linked but both are PWM. Could this be a cause of conflict? In general, it is not a good idea to link two different fans together as their characteristics are not identical.
Well, separating the fans kind of work... After rereading the fanhub (deepcool fanhub), the first fan on the hub is the "master", which I assume all of the other fans will follow its speed setting. Anywho, on my initial setup, I use the corsair 12 Cm as the master, while the slave is the Noctua 14 Cm... I Imagine the fanhub confuses the motherboard sensor with two different fan characteristics, but why the crash though? A simple warning as failsafe is good enough.

Still, my PC restarts itself every now and then.

baraja4

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2018
I wanted to install Ai Suite for Fan Xpert to change the fan speed on my computer as in the summer it gets hot and my MOBO get 60+ celcius When I installed Ai Suite the computer started to freeze, I could not play Overwatch cause my computers GPU was overclocked. I checked with GPU-Z and it was not at Stock. I uninstalled it and it was back to Stock and all games work as it should. I could not find anything in Ai Suite that could make it to work. Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher

Last edited: