News Asrock mATX X399 / mATX X299 / Z370 MicroSTX

https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

ASRock X399M Taichi
ASRock X299M Extreme4
Z370 DeskMini GTX

To show off at CES 2018.

I know some of you have been waiting for these for a while!

Cerberus Threadripper finally doable :)

Would have loved to see 10GbE on them, since the AQ107 chipset has been shipping for a while. But I guess we can't have everything. At least there's extra PCIe slots to put an AQ107 in.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
there's rumors of a higher TDP 28-ish core threadripper gen-2 CPU that necessitates more VRM o_o this does not bode well for this board i think ,_,

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
there's rumors of a higher TDP 28-ish core threadripper gen-2 CPU that necessitates more VRM o_o this does not bode well for this board i think ,_,
Confirmed in a way at Computex. Threadripper 2 will have up to 32 cores (an actual 28 core threadripper seems unlikely since AMD has, thus far, been disabling cores symmetrically across CCXs, so a 4 die threadripper would most likely have core count increments of 8).
I believe they did said Threadripper 2 will be compatible with current boards, but overclocking and high core counts probably won't be stable.

Edit: I also suspect these 4 die chips will only be the top end models. The extra cores don't have direct memory access, so latency will be increased, so it would be better to stay with the existing 8, 12 and 16-core, 2-die variants. As an added prediction, I will say the 24 core will be the 2970 and the 32 will be the 2990

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu