Memory ASRock DeskMini X300 - RAM question

RZ2019

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 30, 2019
I want to build the ASRock X300 with CPU AMD Ryazen 5 2400G.
I have the HyperX Impact 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL15, but ASRock support say they did not try if it works.
Looking at the list of Memory QVL at their site is a bit confusing.

What would you recmomend for 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM for the X300?
Will it make big difference between 2666 and 3200 RAM speed for regular use of the PC, including basic video editing, NO GAMING.
Anyone has a personal experience, recommendation and thoughts?

gazpl

Caliper Novice
Jan 18, 2019
x300 supports renoir, but the 5xxxG series isn't available at retail until later. There are some on grey market and there are OEM systems with it. One at HP had it basically free bc they sold it together with a 3070? way below its market value. crazy deal while it lasted

hopefully these become available through regular channels soon.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
You’re running a 5600g on a deskmini x300? I didn't think that could be done
Yep. And like @gazpl said, I got my 5600G by purchasing a prebuilt HP system with a 3070. So its not a pre-release chip or anything like that. Its a proper retail chip. Only negative being software like Ryzen Master doesn't work with it yet.
I had to update firmware to 1.60 for it to work on the Deskmini x300. Despite it not being listed on their specification page I can tell you it works no problem.

Also here is a performance comparison between 4650G and 5600G. I did the tests at 3800MHz (which is the rated speed of the sticks) but you can push the memory to 4000Mhz without any issues whatsoever. Just have a look at the CPUz result above (memory running at 2000, you multiply that by 2 as thats the single data rate speed and the sticks are double data rate)

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
great news to hear the 5600g works, that's why I came back to this thread haha.

now I just need to get my hands on one

Reactions: LukeD

ATMNeuro

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 6, 2021
Did it boot up with the 5600g and allowed you to do bios update? Or you did it with another APU?

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
I updated to 1.60 with a 4650
For your information, the Deskmini X300's X300M-STX motherboard is compatible with Zen3 or "Cézanne" APUs since BIOS beta v1.58 (containing AGESA firmware v2 1.2.0.1) so if you have at least upgraded this BIOS beta version v1.58, there is no need to own and install an older generation APU (2xxxG / 3xxxG / 4xxxG) to be able to successfully start with Ryzen 5xxxG APUs (Cézanne), here is to remove the doubts, a very practical utility called "Ryzen SMU Checker" allowing to check the BIOS of Socket AM4 motherboard and is compatible with all the existing brands of motherboard whatever the chipset, they inform you about the version of AGESA present in the verified bios as well as the list of all the CPU / APU compatibility microcodes present in this bios, allowing you to verify for sure whether a particular model of APU or CPU can start with it or not.

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Yep. And like @gazpl said, I got my 5600G by purchasing a prebuilt HP system with a 3070. So its not a pre-release chip or anything like that. Its a proper retail chip. Only negative being software like Ryzen Master doesn't work with it yet.
I had to update firmware to 1.60 for it to work on the Deskmini x300. Despite it not being listed on their specification page I can tell you it works no problem.

Also here is a performance comparison between 4650G and 5600G. I did the tests at 3800MHz (which is the rated speed of the sticks) but you can push the memory to 4000Mhz without any issues whatsoever. Just have a look at the CPUz result above (memory running at 2000, you multiply that by 2 as thats the single data rate speed and the sticks are double data rate)

Which SO-DIMM memory module kit are you using? Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 4000MHz CL19 (or 3800MHz CL18) originally from the 4x8GB kit for Intel X299 mITX mobo and using Samsung B-Dies?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Which SO-DIMM memory module kit are you using? Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 4000MHz CL19 (or 3800MHz CL18) originally from the 4x8GB kit for Intel X299 mITX mobo and using Samsung B-Dies?
Im using the or 3800MHz CL18. But you can easily run it at 4000MHz CL18.
The 4000 kit wasn't available when I was looking to buy. And from my experience I can tell you the extra $200 isnt worth it to go to 4000 kit, as the 3800 kit can run at 4000 without issues. (at least my kit did)

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Im using the or 3800MHz CL18. But you can easily run it at 4000MHz CL18.
The 4000 kit wasn't available when I was looking to buy. And from my experience I can tell you the extra $200 isnt worth it to go to 4000 kit, as the 3800 kit can run at 4000 without issues. (at least my kit did)
Personally, I was very lucky to come across a person (on a French classifieds site) who was selling a completely new Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 32GB (4x8GB) 4000MHz CL19-23-23-45 kit, and since the ASRock X300M-STX motherboard of the Deskmini X300 can only accommodate two DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM sticks, I asked him if he would agree to sell me only a pair of RAM sticks from his Kit, and he accepted without even discussing because apparently it was already more than two months that he tried to sell the whole for 200 euros (approx. 235usd) but without success, so in the end he sold me 2 of his RAM sticks for 50euros/piece ( approx. 59usd/piece), so that day I think I really got a good deal.

And before mounting them, I ordered 4 heatsinks for DDR4 SO-DIMM entirely made of pure copper (thickness 0.5mm) and entirely coated with graphene, once these RAM heatsinks received I removed the original paper stickers Corsair RAM sticks and applied them, I managed to push them to 4200MHz @ CL19-24-24-48 stable with synchronous IMC/InfinityFabric (1:1).

This is what I can say about the OC RAM tests that I did with my Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G, moreover I noticed that the iGPU Vega 8 (OC@2400MHz too) had greatly appreciated the significant increase in RAM bandwidth in the few benchmarks and games tests that I have done, moreover on Doom Eternal I rarely go below 60fps in 1920x1080 setting with NORMAL/HIGH parameters mixed, which is rather not bad compared to other OC config and similar to mine that I could observe on YouTube.

A quick question: since our SO-DIMM DDR4 RAM kits are technically quite similar, do you think I could use the same latency settings as you at 4000MHz?

If you're interested here are the DDR4 (Full Copper + Graphene Coating) SO-DIMM RAM heatsinks I bought, I think they help DDR4 RAM sticks keep cool:

Reactions: LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
@HydrAxx747 - nice heatsinks and you got a steal on the ram sticks. I also bought 4 and I have 2 sitting in my drawer waiting for the next project :) I have other machines that could use them but none of them support these speeds.
I also have a 5700G coming to see if there's a bigger difference in performance in games. Should be another 10% over the 5600G I guess.

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Anyone can tell me if X300 can mount Ryzen 9 5900HX ?
The Ryzen 9 5900HX does not exist in Socket AM4 format (with pins to summarize) but in BGA format that must be soldered on specific motherboards and moreover it is only sold in minimum large quantities (not at unit) and only on the gray market.

If you wanted to talk more about the Ryzen 9 5900X which exists in Socket AM4 format, you can mount it but it will not work because on Deskmini A300 or X300 motherboards, you need "APUs", ie CPUs having an integrated graphics solution (or otherwise called "iGPU") to function since these motherboards do not have a PCIexpress x16 port to connect a dedicated graphics card.

So on these motherboards, you can only use Socket AM4 compatible APUs with a denomination ending in "G" (65Watts TDP) or "GE" (35Watts TDP).

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Looks like the 5700G isn't really 10% faster in GPU bound workloads:

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Looks like the 5700G isn't really 10% faster in GPU bound workloads:

Hi, when I see the benchmark results you have under Dirt Rally and Rainbow Six Siege, well I get pretty much the same results as you with my Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G (PBO On and iGPU Vega8 @ 2400MHz) and the RAM at 4266MHz (CL19-22-22-40-62-1T@GDM_Off and InfinityFabric synchronous (1:1) because surprisingly since I upgraded the BIOS of the DeskMini X300 from version 1.60 to 1.70. My memory increases a little more in frequency and with latencies a little tighter and this without loss of stability).

And even a little better on Dirt Rally, because I no longer have all the exact figures in mind (and not made a screenshot sorry) but I get an average framerate of 80 exactly (easy to remember lol), but du suddenly I have the impression that there was not the slightest update (even minimal) of the iGPU part between the passage from Renoir to Cézanne, apart from the VCN Engine going from version 2.1 to 2.2.

As we can see here between comparing the dies coming from the 2 architectures(Moreover when we see the surface of unused silicon (and clearly wasted when I see this void) and we do not make me believe that it is a controller that allows better management of the thermal releases of the APU, they had plenty of room to add 3 or 4 additional Compute Units, we could have hoped for a Vega 11 or Vega 12 in the same operating frequencies, that would have been nice of them ... sniff sniff):

Renoir:

Cézanne:

Source dies pictures from: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-cezanne-apu-die-has-been-pictured-up-close